Replacing Clutch Switch on '77 GL1000

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

OldRider2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Replacing Clutch Switch on '77 GL1000

Post by OldRider2 »

I'm replacing the clutch switch on my project because on the old one the wires had completely pulled out of the switch end. I got a replacement from 4into1 and bought "35340-329-003" which supposedly supercedes the original number "35360-341-000". This is super tight going into the hole in the clutch handle frame and there is a little tit/tang that is supposed to stick into the bottom half of the frame. I don't see any way it is going to go in but I'm afraid to force it to much, I don't want to break it. So is the clutch switch normally real tight and should I keep pushing it in? It looks to me like the tit will break right off if I keep pushing. Overall it looks the same size as the original, just slightly longer as it protrudes out the clutch handle frame.
2001 GL1800 Illusion Red
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Replacing Clutch Switch on '77 GL1000

Post by gltriker »

It's been several years since I replaced the clutch switch assembly on my trike, but I do clearly remember there is a pip on the side of the switch body which indexes into a matching recess in the perch bore where it is installed.

Did you thoroughly clean out the clutch switch installation bore and visibly match those complementing indexing edges up?

I also remember judiciously pulling on the integral switch wires while pushing on the body to guide and correctly seat the clutch switch assembly into the bore.

Without looking at my installation, I vaguely recall the soft part of the switch assembly did emerge out the hole, which would apparently seal the visible end of a properly installed clutch switch assembly from allowing dust and water intrusion.

That's the best explanation I can offer. ;)
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Yellowjacket
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Replacing Clutch Switch on '77 GL1000

Post by Yellowjacket »

Just did that on my 75 gl1000. It is tight but once lined up and getting a good start in the handle it will go in. Once in, the clutch lever pushed mine in the rest of the way.
Curt
1975 GL1000 Red
1980 GS850
1978 Honda CB550 Brat
1981 Honda CB900c MOAB
1977 Honda CB750 bobber
1980 XS1100 current project bike
1970 Honda QA50 Slime Green