Gl1100 valves after camshaft change.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Otis76
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Gl1100 valves after camshaft change.

Post by Otis76 »

AS the title says, i have been out with the camshaft on the leftside sitting on the bike. I am gonna put my c5 ignition so i have talen my camshaft out for machining.(drill and tap) . I have the engine om TDC 1. And did loosen the valves before i took the rockers off.. so noe is the question this. How do i Get my valves back to the original settings?? It still is on tdc1. Have i messed up??? Thanks.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Gl1100 valves after camshaft change.

Post by ericheath »

Install the cam and C5. Then follow the procedure in the book. You can't hurt anything as long as you get the cam and pulley back on the right marks. If you have it at T1, that's the mark for setting valves and the mark for setting the cam timing belts. You may find the motor will want to wander off the mark due to tension from the valve springs on the 1-3 side.

Do you have a manual for setting valves?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Your timing belt gear can only go on one way, (well, it can go on two ways if we get technical, correct way, or incorrect way) but be sure the gear is correct in the "Up" position, and you should be good to go.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Otis76
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Otis76 »

Yes , i got a shop manual (Blue and white) and a service manual(black). And have done valve adjustment before. But started to think when i loosened the valves and took the rockers off..