Compression

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Compression

Post by maury »

This past year, I brought back to life a '76 LTD with 5,400 miles on it. When I first got the bike to where I could do a compression test all cylinders were at 95psi. So in asking about that on this and other forums, most advice was just ride it and the rings will seat, etc, etc. So now I've put 500 miles on the bike. It starts, idles, runs fantastic. Compression check today........ 95 psi all cylinders.
On top of that I found/bought a '75 GL with (I swear) 5,400 miles on it. The license plate expired in 1978 and the gas was left in the carbs/tank - turned to yellow glue. So..... carbs rebuilt, etc and today I actually started it. Runs - fantastic.
Compression check........... 95psi every cylinder (just like the '76). I even tried another gauge and the reading are the same.
Yes....... the choke is set correctly, the throttle is wide open, battery is good. Randakk makes a comment about the length of the test gauge hoses....... hmmm. I am checking a cold engine though.
Anyway, the bikes run great and I'm not doing a thing to them.
Curious about others with the same findings, comments, etc.
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas
CYBORG

Re: Compression

Post by CYBORG »

I would use a compression test to confirm the cause of a problem. You state the bike runs great. So why do you care what the compression is?
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by maury »

Well, I thought it was a sign that the engine has a problem. I'm just trying to stay ahead of the curve if there's something I should look at / adjust / etc. That's all.
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Might want to try a different gauge, or test yours against a known good one?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by maury »

As I stated in my first post, I did use a second gauge. Same readings.
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

recheck the valves, but all at 95 doesn't make sense that all have the exact same issue..unless all the valves set to the same wrong value?????? Are you checking the compression with all the plugs out?? Shouldn't be a deal breaker but a thought.
Last edited by RB on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Runs good. Ride it.

Or if you want to check something else do a leakdown.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by maury »

I did recheck the valves and they are dead on. I have not done a leakdown........ yet.
Yeah ...... "Runs good. Ride it"
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

Unless you're a perfectionist and insist your engine runs as efficiently as possible (nothing wrong with that by the way) then I wouldn't loose any sleep over the 95 compression especially if you're pleased with how it runs as it is. I probably already mentioned this but my 83 was locked up when I first got it due to water getting into the cylinders from setting outside too long. I was able to free it up without tearing the engine down and of course compression was initially dismal but it did substantially improve the more I rode it. Right now it's at about 90 to 100 psi on all 4 clys and that's about as good as it's going to get as it is but it runs good, doesn't burn oil and has plenty of power to handle the weight of my wife and I and bike fully loaded for a long road trip. As long as the engine continues to run the way it is then I'm not touching it other than normal preventive maintenance.
Scott
maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by maury »

JSBail wrote:Unless you're a perfectionist and insist your engine runs as efficiently as possible (nothing wrong with that by the way) then I wouldn't loose any sleep over the 95 compression especially if you're pleased with how it runs as it is. I probably already mentioned this but my 83 was locked up when I first got it due to water getting into the cylinders from setting outside too long. I was able to free it up without tearing the engine down and of course compression was initially dismal but it did substantially improve the more I rode it. Right now it's at about 90 to 100 psi on all 4 clys and that's about as good as it's going to get as it is but it runs good, doesn't burn oil and has plenty of power to handle the weight of my wife and I and bike fully loaded for a long road trip. As long as the engine continues to run the way it is then I'm not touching it other than normal preventive maintenance.
I appreciate the feedback.........
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas