Awakening a 20 year sleeper. update.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Awakening a 20 year sleeper.

Post by Don R »

Sirius says the last batch came with springs on all front hoses and said I can cut them off. I'll see if I can add some shrink tube so the factory grommet fits.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

Sirius brake hose report, I removed the springs from the lower lines by unwinding them from an end. They are a bit long (all 3 front hoses 23") but the bike is tied down and may have settled a little since 78. The top hose fits well, I left the spring on it so far. I removed the bracket and emblem in front of the splitter, it is behind the fairing and is missing the logo anyway. It was tweaked previously, I assume to make access to the brake hoses.
Anyway, the angle of the ends makes it a little awkward since they are all indexed the same, I previously used Spiegler brake lines and you can twist the ends to index them, that's nice. I bled the brakes with a vac pump (first time it worked for me) and the lever is only slightly better so far.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I got the rear brake line changed and bled, and while I was in there thought to take the starter relay apart for a freshen up. I was amazed how much crud was inside the rubber boot over the relay and in the plastic wire covers on the bullet connectors. The relay came apart, I turned the bolts a half turn to expose new copper and rather than remove the copper bar and chance breaking something I just filed it smooth. It cranks on the first try now and since it's in the shop and warm wants to run every time I bump it over. I have a brake line post and carburetor post but wanted to update the 20 year sleeper post. I have carb gaskets, a new relay, Randakk grips, an air filter and one other thing ordered but probably won't arrive until after Christmas. I'm hoping to test ride with a wide band O2 sensor probe in the mufflers tomorrow.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

The starter solenoids on these bikes live next to the battery breathing acidic battery fumes, and arc a lot when used which eats away at the contacts. I don't expect a 40 year-old item like this to last. Even worse when so many bikes we find are missing the side cover on the left and have been parked in the elements.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

The PO lived on paved roads when we met but I suspect before I knew him he didn't. There was a ton of road tar on the bottom of the fenders too. True on both counts pidjones. I've repaired the sidecover tabs on both of the gl1000's I've owned. I got this bike when I offered to repair the sidecover tabs for the PO. He was moving, it didn't run and he wanted it to have a good home.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I freshened the start relay since it was unusually warm out and I wanted a ride. It acted up one time afterwards and the new Randakks relay is here so today my grandson and I changed it out. He's three and loves anything in the shop. He's pretty careful but I watch him like a hawk. Anyway, it's a little taller and the slots in the rubber mount go the wrong way but it fits OK enough in the old rubber. We didn't get the battery in so it's not tested but I expect it to outlast the china cheapie I tried once, it only worked the first time and never again.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

Update, It hasn't racked up many miles this year due to covid and having two 750's licensed too. I rode it today and it ran better in cool air (48*) than it has since I've owned it. I chased down some car parts and filled the tank with some no alky gas. I'll give an oz. of Amzoil synthetic 2 stroke oil and a dash of seafoam for the winter. It did chug a bit on startup, I had forgotten it was on reserve since the last ride.
I believe the 750 honda jets in the pilot air hoses makes all the difference. They are 105's I think. Randakk's says it's a 77 only mod but I like it on the 78 and believe it would have helped my 79 too. I still plan to add a relay for the ignition power when my projects get caught up a little. I hope to not pull the carbs again but I bought new carb to plenum O rings just in case. I did already replace the plenum center seal with a Randakks. I like riding when it's cool out.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Me too, Don. (Riding when it’s cool). Enjoy that Motorcycle.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I got in a ride tonight, it was beautiful out. The old wing didn't want to start right away but it did and rode wonderfully. We put my brothers 76 wing in storage, he's 80 and might not ride it again. I've bought it 3 or 4 times but he always changes his mind. Wife and I went for a ride today it's nice here with a couple more days in the 70's.
The V65 front brakes seem to be wearing in nicely. I did a couple loaded quick stops and it felt right. We've both lost weight and I was able to back off the preload on the springs a bit. Bumps no longer jolt her back.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I changed the fork oil today and test rode it, I used Belray 10W, it seems OK but can't help wonder if something heavier would be better. This was recommended by my local Honda guru. We took some bumpy routes on purpose. Tech tip, before you add the new fork oil, put the plug back in. If you forget, claim you wanted to flush it out a little.

I texted the PO today, old blue turned over 59,000 miles. He practically gave it to me because I appreciated it so from time to time I remind him that it got a good home.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

We rode old blue to Lowes yesterday and saw a shopping cart headed downhill and downwind towards the side of a black pickup truck. I was able to get the wing between them and my wife caught it before it hit us. It was perfect timing. Some guy will never know how close he came to a parking lot ding.
Parking lot rodeo!
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

Old Blue started at the hit of the starter and warmed right up. It's making 13V at about 1600 rpm, by 2000 rpm it's up to 14V. I rode a few miles, we've had rain since the last road salt so the streets are pretty clean and it was in the 50's. Looking good for another season of riding.
I've already started the two 750's and plan to put a few miles on them too. The sandcast might go over 10,000 miles this year, I've been avoiding that but it needs to be ridden. There's a third 750 underway in gold so I can have all three colors.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Awakening a 20 year sleeper. update.

Post by Don R »

The sleeper died in the middle of an intersection today, it had melted the blade fuse holder, it seems like someone else had that recently.
An old former Goldwing rider stopped to lend tools and advise, he was awesome. He had owned several of them from 1000 to 1100's He had good sidecutters and an o ring pick. We were able to make a temp repair so I could ride it to the parts store and home.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I realize now when the main fuse let go, I stayed seated and used my feet to get the bike out of the intersection. Apparently, I gave myself a belly button hernia. I was hoping it was just a pulled muscle. Dr. says it's not a problem unless I can't get it back in then get to an ER.
I noticed the front rotors were a little oily appearing. I cleaned them and so far, no problem has appeared. I may buy new seals and pistons for the 32mm dual piston calipers. Otherwise, Old Blue is holding up well. I plan to replace the seat cover this winter, the NOS seat is still old and the heat seams are opening.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

The temp got up to 50+ F so I took old blue out for a short ride. It has a dose of AV gas in it, LL110 mixed with no alcohol regular. It has never run so good on a cold day. Hondaman posted in the sohc4 website that the 750's don't like the new premium, especially if the timing is advanced due to the advance springs getting loose. It is made to burn slow to keep catalytic convertors hot and that can cause an old bike to get spitting back into the intake if the timing is too advanced.
I'm thinking this is what's going on with the rideability issues with old blue. Anyway, my plan is to check the timing advance mechanism and maybe turn the timing back a tad.