Dyna S and is it hard to install?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

bonestock3
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Dyna S and is it hard to install?

Post by bonestock3 »

im needing a new seat and a gentleman on Craigslist is selling one, wants to sell me his Dyno S as a packed $250 deal with the 76-77 seat included. I need the seat but wondering if its worth getting the Dyno S also? Is it worth changing? anyone have one mind sharing their experience? Have been trying to find out more info but this seems to be my greatest source
Bonestock©
1979 GL1000 - Avomew
bonestock3
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Dyna S and is it hard to install?

Post by bonestock3 »

Bonestock©
1979 GL1000 - Avomew
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

bonestock3 wrote:im needing a new seat and a gentleman on Craigslist is selling one, wants to sell me his Dyno S as a packed $250 deal with the 76-77 seat included. I need the seat but wondering if its worth getting the Dyno S also? Is it worth changing? anyone have one mind sharing their experience? Have been trying to find out more info but this seems to be my greatest source
I'd be hesitant to buy one used.

Only cause it's a electric component.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I had one for several years, and did have a failure., As have many others. I think they perform better then stock, But I now use a C5, and am much happier. Dyna can be a little tricky to set up
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

I would be hesitant to buy a NEW one. Dyna over the years, has many component failures - not just for the GoldWing models, but across the board (all models and makes). Some modules fail at a higher rates than others, but the failure rate is too high for my comfort. With that said... there are many on this board who have had them for many years without failure. They are the lucky ones.

Personally, I would go with the C5 ignition (yes, it is expensive) or a transistorized ignition such as the one being offered by HondaMan at the SOHC forum (http://sohc4shop.com/catalog/product_in ... 4857e00542).
If you are insistent on using a Dyna product, I would suggest their ignition booster (same principle as HondaMan). BTW, the transistorized booster is used extensively in the old air-cooled VW engines. Worked like a charm.

...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

BlueThunder wrote:I would be hesitant to buy a NEW one. Dyna over the years, has many component failures - not just for the GoldWing models, but across the board (all models and makes). Some modules fail at a higher rates than others, but the failure rate is too high for my comfort. With that said... there are many on this board who have had them for many years without failure. They are the lucky ones.

Personally, I would go with the C5 ignition (yes, it is expensive) or a transistorized ignition such as the one being offered by HondaMan at the SOHC forum (http://sohc4shop.com/catalog/product_in ... 4857e00542).
If you are insistent on using a Dyna product, I would suggest their ignition booster (same principle as HondaMan). BTW, the transistorized booster is used extensively in the old air-cooled VW engines. Worked like a charm.

I had a DYNA for 37 years before it failed.

Got little to no support from DYNA with simple questions.

Bit the bullet and spent the $$ for the C5.

Best money I ever put into the bike and boy is it easy to setup and install.

Also included new coils and wires.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I have installed probably a dozen and only ever seen one failure and I think the owner did that monkeying around with it.
Go to the guru corner and in Octane's corner there is a post describing the timing of one. Installation is pretty simple and the instructions are decent.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

I've installed probably between 50 and 100 Dyna's. Maybe even more in the last 30 plus years. On a variety of bikes. One failure. I've also bought, sold, and installed a lot of used ones. No failures with any of those. Easy to set up. Instructions are on Dynas site.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Unsure of the sellers value for the Dyna. $75 is fair for used if he says it works. If it doesn't or it fails, send it to Dyna for testing. They have always offered a new one for about that price if it is bad. As much as a month wait though. That is despite a one year warranty period. They are pretty good that way.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

ericheath wrote:Unsure of the sellers value for the Dyna. $75 is fair for used if he says it works. If it doesn't or it fails, send it to Dyna for testing. They have always offered a new one for about that price if it is bad. As much as a month wait though. That is despite a one year warranty period. They are pretty good that way.
I tried to do that with my Dyna.

They told me there was nothing they could do for me.

I was emailing the guy, can't remember his name, who everyone says is the one to talk to.

Maybe he was having a bad day but he was of no help at all.
bonestock3
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bonestock3 »

Alright so it seems ill pass on the packaged deal and pay the $175 for my seat. When I get into ignition ill just go with the C5 and do it right. He does insist its a new component that was never installed
Bonestock©
1979 GL1000 - Avomew