Help! 2 dead cyl.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Help! 2 dead cyl.

Post by fish »

you can unscrew the bowl drains with out pulling the carbs.
obviously fuel should run out of all 4 carbs
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
olchris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by olchris »

It likely that i may have overlooked a part of this thread/post, but i still dont know if there is an actual spark at the 1/3 plugs when turning over with ign on... :IDTS: :IDTS: ..

Put new tyres on it, new battery and paint job, wont make the plug fire at the right time....
1972 Norton.. Rebuild from boxes.. http://www.accessnorton.com/strange-fra ... 44-60.html and here http://www.accessnorton.com/strange-frame-t18084.html SOLD
1975 Mk3 Norton.. Too good to mess with, but refurbished...
1975 Goldwing #1 SOLD
!975 Goldwing #2.. http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 2+wing%232
1975 Goldwing #3... http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =Wing+%233 Going very slowly but going forward..
trat
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by trat »

fish wrote:you can unscrew the bowl drains with out pulling the carbs.
there is fuel in the bowls
trat
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by trat »

olchris wrote:It likely that i may have overlooked a part of this thread/post, but i still dont know if there is an actual spark at the 1/3 plugs when turning over with ign on... :IDTS: :IDTS: ..

Put new tyres on it, new battery and paint job, wont make the plug fire at the right time....
There is fire at both plugs and it seems to be a good strong spark. With the motor running and a screw driver in the plug wire cap the spark will jump at least 3/4" to 1" to ground. service manual shows a 1/4" minimum using a spark plug tester which I don't have. Shorting it to ground and getting a 3/4" spark should be good.
trat
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by trat »

fish wrote:you can unscrew the bowl drains with out pulling the carbs.
I am thinking that using the aftermarket jets and float valves and also the aftermarket fuel needle may be the problem. I have since learned from Howard Halasz that the aftermarket parts are suspect so since I still have the old parts I am going to clean them in my carb cleaner and put the OEM stuff back in. I also got a Float gauge coming from Randakk's to set the floats with so I know that I am setting them correctly.
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

it is not uncommon, even for those of us who have rebuilt many carbs, to not get it right the first, second even the 4th or 5th time. Those idle circuits are tiny and hard to clean. I would suggest that you have pretty much eliminated ignition timing and spark so that leaves fuel delivery.

Personally I would pull the carbs once more and make sure the carbs are clean. Soaking in carb cleaner doesn't always do it. You have new jets so I am leaning toward the internal carb body passages. While you have the carbs on the bench squirt carb/brake cleaner through both sets of jets. You should see the carb cleaner come out inside the carb throat somewhere and it should be a good stream.

Good luck.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Throwing this out there. When you put the carbs back together did you by chance close the mix screws on 1 and 3 but the did not open them back up? I always seat them and then back them out to the factory setting. Maybe they are still seated.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
trat
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by trat »

robin1731 wrote:Throwing this out there. When you put the carbs back together did you by chance close the mix screws on 1 and 3 but the did not open them back up? I always seat them and then back them out to the factory setting. Maybe they are still seated.
no they were backed out 3 turns and since I got it running I have adjusted them on the bike made very little if any difference in the way it ran.........On this note........what kind of tool do you guys have to adjust the carbs....I have one of the motion pro 90 degree tools that they say will work on the Goldwing and it does work but not very well especially on #1 and #2 carbs. I want to get another one that is easier to use if there is something out there.
trat
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by trat »

jdvorchak wrote:it is not uncommon, even for those of us who have rebuilt many carbs, to not get it right the first, second even the 4th or 5th time. Those idle circuits are tiny and hard to clean. I would suggest that you have pretty much eliminated ignition timing and spark so that leaves fuel delivery.

Personally I would pull the carbs once more and make sure the carbs are clean. Soaking in carb cleaner doesn't always do it. You have new jets so I am leaning toward the internal carb body passages. While you have the carbs on the bench squirt carb/brake cleaner through both sets of jets. You should see the carb cleaner come out inside the carb throat somewhere and it should be a good stream.

Good luck.
I did this before I had the Jets back in the carb but not with the jets in......I followed the post in Shop Talk that Roady has posted. It has a diagram in there of where each passage goes. They all seemed clean and the stream came out where he showed it should..... that's not to say I didn't miss something though. I will do this again while the carbs are off and with the jets in place before I take them apart and again after I go through the carbs again.
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

If you grind part of the collar off the tool it will fit on the carb tower better..take a look while the carbs are off..you'll see what part needs to ground off/down.

+1 on aftermarket jets not being right half the time, +1 on setting the floats again, take a look at eh plugs after running her..plugs wet on 1 and 3?? or dry, black or tan? tells you a lot.
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

trat wrote:
fish wrote:You have the wire that is supposed to go on sparkplug #3 on #1
You have the wire that is supposed to go to #1 on #3
cylinder and ignition layout.jpg
It is wired the way you have it drawn....I just verified it
there is lots of stuff in the way, that is a crowded area!
that makes it allmost impossable to visually verify the plug wires are going to the correct plugs.

It is sooooo eeeasy to just yank the #1 off and stick it on #3 ,
and crank it over
action1
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
trat
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by trat »

fish wrote:
trat wrote:
fish wrote:You have the wire that is supposed to go on sparkplug #3 on #1
You have the wire that is supposed to go to #1 on #3
cylinder and ignition layout.jpg
It is wired the way you have it drawn....I just verified it
there is lots of stuff in the way, that is a crowded area!
that makes it allmost impossable to visually verify the plug wires are going to the correct plugs.

It is sooooo eeeasy to just yank the #1 off and stick it on #3 ,
and crank it over
action1
I did that......no change
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

trat wrote: action1
I did that......no change[/quote]

No change??!! If they were right before and you swapped them you should have gotten some backfires.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

trat wrote:snip..........
no they were backed out 3 turns and since I got it running I have adjusted them on the bike made very little if any difference in the way it ran..........

Did it run different? Try running them all the way in and does it run different? It should want to die, if not die, when all the way in. If not the idle circuit is plugged.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
trat
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by trat »

robin1731 wrote:
trat wrote: action1
I did that......no change

No change??!! If they were right before and you swapped them you should have gotten some backfires.[/quote] Thats why I think there is a fuel delivery problem.....no fuel, no back fire....I know there is good spark and good compression and timing is correct.....