Help! 2 dead cyl.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

trat
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: Help! 2 dead cyl.

Post by trat »

robin1731 wrote:
trat wrote:snip..........
no they were backed out 3 turns and since I got it running I have adjusted them on the bike made very little if any difference in the way it ran..........

Did it run different? Try running them all the way in and does it run different? It should want to die, if not die, when all the way in. If not the idle circuit is plugged.
It changes very little....I did not run them all the way in though. I did run them about 3 more turns out and maybe a turn and a half in from the initial setting of 3 turns out. not much difference. Just a small change on 2 and 4 and you can hear a change. not much on 1 and 3! Carbs are back off the bike now, but I haven't had a chance to do anything to them.
trat
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by trat »

UPDATE......UPDATE I think I have found the problem......as I said I am replacing all the new jets that came in the kits I bought (not Randakks) So I looked in my junk box ( I never throw anything away) found the old jets and needle and seats and put everything in my bucket of carb cleaner to soak over night. I also am chamfering the edges inside the carbs and polishing everything to be sure the slides don't stick. I got the idle jets out of the cleaner and was spraying brake cleaner through them to get them good and clean and had a thought......I got a the new jets that were in the carbs and sprayed them with brake cleaner, all the small holes in the sides were good and clean but when I sprayed through the center, end to end, they were closed off. I tried to blow air thru them and sprayed with cleaner and I can't get them unstopped. These are the new ones that I am replacing with the old ones. I don't know if they were stopped up when I got them or if they might even be made that way. I can't get them open anyway. If it is a manufacturing defect then every thing I have been told and have read about aftermarket jets is true! I want to thank everyone of you for your suggestions and help in this deal. It is nice to know where to turn when I have a problem! I posted this on several other Goldwing forums and got very little feedback and in some cases none. Thanks to everyone on here you are the best! I will do another update when I get the carbs back on and the bike running!
trat
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by trat »

trat wrote:UPDATE......UPDATE I think I have found the problem......as I said I am replacing all the new jets that came in the kits I bought (not Randakks) So I looked in my junk box ( I never throw anything away) found the old jets and needle and seats and put everything in my bucket of carb cleaner to soak over night. I also am chamfering the edges inside the carbs and polishing everything to be sure the slides don't stick. I got the idle jets out of the cleaner and was spraying brake cleaner through them to get them good and clean and had a thought......I got a the new jets that were in the carbs and sprayed them with brake cleaner, all the small holes in the sides were good and clean but when I sprayed through the center, end to end, they were closed off. I tried to blow air thru them and sprayed with cleaner and I can't get them unstopped. These are the new ones that I am replacing with the old ones. I don't know if they were stopped up when I got them or if they might even be made that way. I can't get them open anyway. If it is a manufacturing defect then every thing I have been told and have read about aftermarket jets is true! I want to thank everyone of you for your suggestions and help in this deal. It is nice to know where to turn when I have a problem! I posted this on several other Goldwing forums and got very little feedback and in some cases none. Thanks to everyone on here you are the best! I will do another update when I get the carbs back on and the bike running!
Latest UPDATE:...........got it back together and running today. It now runs like it is supposed to....still can't get whatever is in the idle jets out of the ones that came in the kit. I put the old Idle and main jets back in after a good soaking in Chim Dip and it runs like it's supposed to. I also chamfered the edges of the slide chambers and polished everything up with #0000 steel wool. Got everything in the chambers looking almost like it's been chromed plated. All Cylinders firing, carbs balanced, and no hesitation off idle. Thanks to everyone who tried to help. The guys on here are the best....THANK YOU!
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

That's why I personally, and many other's, will not use aftermarket jet's. The quality control just isn't there. Yours could be "plugged" from not being machined. Glad you got it.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder