New take on the main fuse mod

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New take on the main fuse mod

Post by Pony Ruiz »

I see the cb600f solenoid has four pins.

Any info on which wire goes where?

thanks
1978GL1000 naked - kinda sadly gone. no bike at the moment.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I imagine it would be the same as on the original solenoid.... 2 are for the solenoid coil and 2 are fused power
Solenoid.jpg
Solenoid.jpg (28.87 KiB) Viewed 468 times
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

Yes. The two inside terminals (AA) go to the starter switch. Makes no difference as to which terminal. The outer terminals (BB) are connected to the main wiring harness.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

thanks!
This is on my list of things to do to get my 78 going/upgraded. This area has been molested by a PO. Since ya'll posted up I'm tryin to sort it out / learn / double ck / see how my existing wiring relates to the new solenoid setup. I can hook up wires - understanding what is going on - different story. That's why I am here. Maybe someone else can learn from this too...?

I have two green (PO?) wires coming out of the + bat terminal (of solenoid) the rt. one goes to a red(ig. switch?). The left wire w/fuse goes to wires coming out of the plug next to the rectifier. Wiring D. appears to show those wires going to rectifier.
20150816_185551.jpg
20150816_185551.jpg (62.12 KiB) Viewed 458 times
20150816_185558.jpg
20150816_185558.jpg (56.9 KiB) Viewed 458 times
So I am assuming (next pic) the two colored wires in oem connectors go to the starter switch AA terminals. The two PO green go to the BB terminals. Not sure about the existing fuse tho.. As was stated before order isn't an issue. If I am reading it right the wiring diagram I have shows the m. fuse is inline on a red wire. The PO has the fuse inline to the plug. The bike did turn over but din't start when I bought it i.e. starter/solenoid worked. So I am assuming the two existing green PO wires go to the BB terminals - not important which one /order correct? They both seem to hook up before the fuse. Is that blade arrangement standard for a 4 wire plug available somewhere? Thank you Thank you!!
20150816_195059.jpg
20150816_195059.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 458 times
Attachments
20150816_185531.jpg
20150816_185531.jpg (49.49 KiB) Viewed 458 times

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

Oh and do think a used oem (guaranteed to work) on ebay would be ok or just bite a bullet and spring for a new oem cb600 ($75) one? thx

jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

In pic 2 tell me that isn't an indoor wire nut!!!! Get that out of there and throw it as far as you can. Either crimp on connectors or solder and tape. But indoor electrical wire nut?

Probably some speaker wire hooked to the ignition as well... Jeesh....
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I would be more concerned about green wires used obviously not for ground.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
cklamer
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by cklamer »

Yeah we have a guy that just bought a 1984 GL1100.
Rough shape is putting it mildly.
But he was buying the cheap solenoids and has gone through 4 of them so far.
He also in the process of jumping the bike off caused issues with his starter and has already replaced two.

So yeah I cringe every time I see one of those solenoids being used.
1981 HONDA BANDIT CB890CR CAFE RACER
1979 HONDA GL1000 GOLDWING (Naked of course)
2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS 14
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I have removed the cheap solenoid for now.

I ran out of gas the other day as I was turning the corner onto my own street. I was not moving very fast and didn't get it switched to the other tank in time so it stalled. While I was cranking the starter to pump the gas through it suddenly stopped cranking. When I removed the side cover I found that the battery's negative post had melted. A neighbour helped me push it home and I repaired the battery post by bolting a copper bracket onto it but it still wouldn't crank. There was no click and no voltage at the starter motor so I re-installed the old solenoid and it seems like all is well again.

BUT when I checked out the new solenoid it worked perfectly. When I connected power to the coil terminals it clicked loudly and almost jumped off the bench. I tried again with the ohmmeter connected to the B & M terminals and they went from open to short exactly as it should.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Well, sir, at least it failed relatively painlessly.

OEM = 30+ years
Chinese replacements = 6 months or so

I think we have another believer...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
mrtwowheel
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mrtwowheel »

With the Hondas that I am riding and the ones that I am working on, I am two OEM solenoids short at the moment. I've had my share of failures with the green plastic aftermarkets, different sources and different plastic molding. Next solenoid will be an aftermarket Ford type.

Scott
'86 1200 Interstate, alternator conversion, pinstriped by Charlie Buzzard
'75 GL1000, Blue Green, fermenting
Many more, mostly Hondas
Newbie, my ass
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

desertrefugee wrote:Well, sir, at least it failed relatively painlessly.
The thing is that it didn't actually fail. I don't know why it wasn't clicking when it was in the bike but it clicks solidly and appears to work perfectly now. I would be more likely to blame dirt in the Start button that moved out of the way after I pushed the button enough times while testing.

And I don't see any way that a solenoid that is not switching at all (no click) could melt a battery terminal. It is far more likely that I didn't torque the battery terminal bolt securely enough, allowing a loose connection which heated up.

But after I went to the trouble to change to the original I am not likely to change back until & unless I have it apart for some other reason.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Yes, that is odd. But, now that it's out, I'd recommend leaving it out. By the way, if you put the original OEM back in, why did you take it out in the first place (or was it a spare OEM that went back in).

Either way, there are enough negative testimonials on the Chinese solenoids (in addition to my rotten experience) that it just makes sense to look to alternatives.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

After I fixed the carbs I was having trouble getting the engine to start I remembered this thread http://cx500forum.com/forum/technical-h ... rting.html so I bought a couple of the cheap solenoids. As I said earlier in this thread, people on CX500forum.com have had nothing but good to say about these solenoids. I eventually figured out it was the 1 year old battery that was causing my problem. While installing the new battery I bumped the inline fuse holder's wire and the ring lug broke. This was the second time I had a problem with one of these tiny lugs in the last year and I had the new ones on hand so I put one in instead of replacing the lug.
skydog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by skydog »

Watch the fuse area of these too!Had wierd problems on the 85,turns out the fuse area was warped,loseing contact,fuse was cheap,came apart in 2 pieces,plastic and metal,but the fuse itself wasn't blown!Watch the wires supplied too,too small of gauge,have some issues there too.Put in a new fuse and all is well but going to retro-fit a 1000 solenoid,like I should have in the first place but those china ones are cheap!Live and learn.
75 naked "Blue Streak" gone
78 fairing bags "Brownie" 4 sale
80 standard project 4 sale
84 Standard, Vetter bags "Horse with no name"
85 Interstate gone
84 aspy
86 aspy
"When the day comes to settle down,who's to blame if you're not around?You took the long way home"