Neutral Switch (77) question

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/w ... ter?page=1

Neutral Switch (77) question

Post by NCScooter »

My neutral switch comes on in 1st and 5th gear after the bike is thoroughly warm - 20 to 30 minutes of riding. In fifth, it is on at a steady speed or coasting, but goes out under acceleration. It is more intermittent but similar in first. Does not light in 2-4. Yet!? Does light in neutral. Is it going bad? If I were going to try the "decarbonizing" fix mentioned in ShopTalk, would it need to be actively malfunctioning?

Everything I read said any gear. Also, it seems as bright as normal when it comes on. It is an led bulb. Perhaps I should have said that first.
I need to remember to keep my expectations tiny so I don't end up so whiny.
1976 CB400f
Image 1977 GL1000-The Breeze
I'm so special, my short bus only has two wheels!
CYBORG

Re: Neutral Switch (77) question

Post by CYBORG »

I would try a regular bulb and see if it does the same thing. LED should not make a difference. Check the wiring to the switch, especially near the engine. The sw provides a ground path for the light, and any short in the wire to ground will turn the light on
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
todd54219
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by todd54219 »

Sounds to me the switch is going out. There posts on this site about cleaning them on the bike. I would either replace the switch or at least remove it and do a good cleaning.

IMHO
Let us know what you find and good luck,
Todd
Todd54219 - Common sense is not so common anymore
1976 Yellow GL1000
1966 White Honda CA95 (Baby Dream) under restoration - Done and sold
NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NCScooter »

CYBORG wrote:I would try a regular bulb and see if it does the same thing. LED should not make a difference. Check the wiring to the switch, especially near the engine. The sw provides a ground path for the light, and any short in the wire to ground will turn the light on
This, sir, is why you are a guru. Or even Kan-guru. I switched the bulb back this weekend, just now rode in such a manner that the light would have lit falsely as described above and it did not, as far as I could tell on this overcast day. It will be next Wednesday before I'll get a night time ride in. Tentatively, two (more if I had 'em) thumbs up.

On another front, I had a deceleration backfire eve since putting rebuilt 77 carbs on late last year. I've been lurking on this problem, almost in denial. I checked my floats this weekend, they were free-swingin' but all were a hair under 21mm (20.75 or more) so I increased them all to 21 fat (<21.15). This had no effect. So. Even though my rebuilt air cut-off held a vacuum fairly well, I replaced the old hose. I also replaced the large intake runner O rings that came in Randaak's kit with some slightly fatter ones. I replaced the Phillip's screws in the clamps with hex-cap (allen) screws, 5x0.8x16mm. Backfire is all but eliminated. I got some quiet farts on really hard deceleration, nothing like it was.
1976 CB400f
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

CYBORG wrote:I would try a regular bulb and see if it does the same thing. LED should not make a difference. Check the wiring to the switch, especially near the engine. The sw provides a ground path for the light, and any short in the wire to ground will turn the light on
NCScooter wrote:This, sir, is why you are a guru. Or even Kan-guru. I switched the bulb back this weekend, just now rode in such a manner that the light would have lit falsely as described above and it did not, as far as I could tell on this overcast day. It will be next Wednesday before I'll get a night time ride in. Tentatively, two (more if I had 'em) thumbs up.
As I understand the "burn-off" method, a greater current is needed to flow through the neutral switch. The problem with burying the switch in oil, is that the contacts develop a carbon coating which conducts electricity. A method to remove the carbon is to "burn" it off by flowing a higher current. A LED draws very little current whereas an incandescent bulb draws considerably more. It sounds like this was your problem.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

From the feeling of most who have tried the 'burn off' method, it is a rather temporary fix. A week, couple weeks.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NCScooter »

My, uh, joy was premature. Mr. Cyborg can keep the titles I bestowed upon him anyhow. The light is on in every gear but fourth. About half as bright as when it is in neutral. I see, but have not read, a topic about rebuilding it and I think it is still available from Mother Honda. What say you wonderful Knights of the NGW?
1976 CB400f
NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NCScooter »

I could edit that last post, but that wouldn't increase my post count. shakehands Just read Roncar's excellent and well-illustraded threads in ShopTalk concerning removal and cleaning the neutral switch. I believe I will go in that direction. I just changed the oil 300 miles ago, (the switch was acting up before that) I'd just soon get 1000 miles out of the oil. There's no harm in running with the switch like that, is there? And would a tool like this unscrew the switch? Or are the nubs too big?
2015-04-21 16.22.40.jpg
2015-04-21 16.22.40.jpg (16.71 KiB) Viewed 248 times
1976 CB400f
NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NCScooter »

Had to drop the motor to get the switch out. Bolixed up the forward screw on the screen cover. Could have had a more effective day. Still got all my digits, thank you. The "epoxy" chipped off the switch easily and the plastic rotated about 10 to 15 degrees CCW, seems stuck now. Any thoughts?
1976 CB400f
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

I think the LED does have something to do with it though: I've had a few neutral lights start acting up shortly after installation of an LED. I don't think the lower current is enough to clean the contacts. I've since cleaned the switches and put in incandescent lights in the neutral position on my bikes.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NCScooter »

I ended up getting a new OEM switch off ebay for $50 shipped. I'll keep the incandescent bulb in there, it's not on much, ain't drawing current when it's off :lol: . I also replaced the Emgo coils I had with some aftermarket 1500 replacements. The Emgos (4.2Ohm) were fine, but these brand new ones seem to start better, probably run better. Bike is running well. Also messed with the tach gear drive. See here>>>> http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ach+gasket << if you care.
1976 CB400f
OldRider2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Neutral Switch (77) Only Goes Off in 2nd Gear

Post by OldRider2 »

So the Neutral Light is about the last thing to fix....or not! My Neutral Light only goes out in 2nd gear. All other gears it is on all the time. I do get a flicker every now and then if I think to look down while shifting. I got a used one from Dave at CyclePsycho probably 6-7 years during this rebuild but never put it in the engine until 2016 when I started putting the bike back together. I would guess the switch was fine. I replaced the wire at the time from the switch up to where it joins the main part of the harness. I've checked the diode(s) and they all work in one direction and not the other. I also replaced the little switch at the clutch lever because it was broken. Why would it only work in one gear and not the others?
2001 GL1800 Illusion Red
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Woke up a three year old thread. ;) lolol

You have an 1100 right? I ask because you don't specify. Did you have the front transmission cover off by chance? Many times people have had that off and when reinstalling they did not have the pin lined up correctly on the shift mechanism. So the neutral detent was in the wrong place. That could be your issue.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
OldRider2
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by OldRider2 »

Robin, no it is a 1977. I know it is a 3 yo thread but it being a 77 thought it made sense to post on this thread. Should I have opened a new post? Sorry for any confusion! :roll:
2001 GL1800 Illusion Red