GL1000 exhaust

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

rudolphwolven
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: GL1000 exhaust

Post by rudolphwolven »

[/quote]
I saw a show bike quality 78 here for $4000. Made me think I don't want to spend a ton on my restoration of my 79 since it's not ever going to be worth much. [/quote]

This GL1000 is offered in Continental Europe for € 13.200.- equivalent USD 16.500,-

http://suchen.mobile.de/motorrad-insera ... ORT&noec=1

This GL1000 for USD 10.625,-

Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016---Image--- GL1000 K1 1975
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

interesting thread.... there certainly would be a market for this with my Ltd (fortunately the stock exhausts are still good).

So like a lot of things, maybe not what everyone needs, but good to know for those wanting a as close to orginal as possible
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

rcmatt007 wrote:interesting thread.... there certainly would be a market for this with my Ltd (fortunately the stock exhausts are still good).

So like a lot of things, maybe not what everyone needs, but good to know for those wanting a as close to orginal as possible

Is a LTD worth spending $1500+ just for the exhaust.

What would a LTD be worth and wouldn't it have to be factory correct and perfect?
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
AussieGold
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AussieGold »

Old Fogey wrote:Face it, no-one is going to buy one of these for a bike that is just an everyday runner, even at half the price. So yes, it's a limited market, to an extent, and the price will have to reflect that fact.

But you guys in the States have a very skewed idea of costs. You don't have the extremely limited availability of parts that the rest of the world has, since the vast majority of these bikes ended up in the US. You also don't have the punitive tax systems that most of us suffer under, which also bumps up the prices.

I believe Randakk sold, some years ago, a NOS muffer only with no pipes or panels, for something around $1700.

The innovative process used to reproduce these, even at that price, is very clever and cost effective. Read the information on the website.
The cost to make traditional type steel press tools to produce all the parts that make up these mufflers would blow your mind! It quite simply would be out of the question.

I think there are still a great many owners of pristine early Wings around the world that would jump at being able to fit this system. You only have to watch an eBay sale of far-less-than-perfect mufflers to see what the market will pay.
Have a look through the gallery to see how many perfect standard early Wings there are just on here, and we don't have all that many members!

I have to agree on one thing though. The side protectors and the the tips need to be chrome, not stainless. Or chromed stainless, best of both worlds but even more expensive. Anyone buying one of these is buying it for a showpiece bike and, ergo, it must look OEM.
this is quite possibly the most sensible and level headed comment i have ever read on any forum. i dips me lid to ya Old Fogey. :2thumbs
Mentor to all self appointed (and genuine) GURUS.

An LTD is........it just is.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

SnoBrdr wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:interesting thread.... there certainly would be a market for this with my Ltd (fortunately the stock exhausts are still good).

Is a LTD worth spending $1500+ just for the exhaust.

What would a LTD be worth and wouldn't it have to be factory correct and perfect?
worth is always in the eye of the beholder. There are not a lot of good exhausts out there. I am lucky in that my Ltd has a good exhaust, my 78 exhaust "looked good" on the outside, but back about 2001 it was obvious the baffles were long gone. I still could have bought an OEM exhaust at that time at about $6-700, but bought a cobra. The cobra is okay, but now I wish I had not been penny wise.

In context, I also ride a lot newer bike, and out-the-door it coast a heck of a lot more than $1500. And it was still less than MRSP on a GL1800 at the time.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
77Pinto
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 77Pinto »

One of my LTDs has an exhaust system that is as close to perfect as I have seen in 20 years, my other has the worst condition factory exhaust I have ever seen.

Outside the US you might be seeing big prices on the 75-77s but I lately have even seen running/riding LTDs selling in the 3Ks, AND LOWER!!! Good running 77s under 1K!! I have not sold a 1000 - 1100 for over 2k in over 5 years, and I'm talking ready to ride, nice looking, new belts, Randackk's carb kits, good tires,.... Don't get me wrong, I see some listed for WAY more money, but not selling. Many that I see listed for big money have incorrect parts on them and the sellers don't mention that, and someone might get ripped off if they are dumb enough to pay those prices when there are so many nice bikes listed for less.

To the maker of the new exhaust: Someone posted that the tips were going to be stainless, that's what I was going by. By stainless down pipes, can assume you are talking about the manifolds? I think that your price is reasonable for the full system as I know how much is involved in making parts. I personally would rather have the choice not to pay for the parts of it I don't need, as I have plenty of good manifolds, clamps, heat shields and brackets, and would rather use factory original parts when I can (just sayin...).

Bill
1976 GL1000 LTD (X2)
1976 GL1000 Sulfur
1977 GL1000
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

I would think Stainless is a good choice, given the price of these, and the fact you can polish stainless to a mirror finish that looks like chrome. the price is not too bad, it only looks expensive to those of us used to building our bikes on the cheap. A good set of Brothers mufflers and pipes would set you back pretty close to that on a ducati or Kawi.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

sunnbobb wrote:I would think Stainless is a good choice, given the price of these, and the fact you can polish stainless to a mirror finish that looks like chrome. the price is not too bad, it only looks expensive to those of us used to building our bikes on the cheap. A good set of Brothers mufflers and pipes would set you back pretty close to that on a ducati or Kawi.
Only looks expensive?

Where do you buy your glasses ?
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

no need for snide comments. please keep this thread civil
-Rodger-