GL1000 exhaust

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

PoolDude
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

GL1000 exhaust

Post by PoolDude »

I was reading on another forum that there is a group in England making copies of the GL1000 exhaust system. Apparently they are complete with the chrome shield and look identical to the original. As I get more info I will pass it along.
1975 GL1000
rnelson
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: GL1000 exhaust

Post by rnelson »

I'm still wondering what I'm going to do with mine. Functionally it's still okay, but the chrome is pretty rusty on the base part. The shields are pretty good. I'm contemplating painting the base black and polishing the shields up nice. I believe the 75 looks kind of like that.
Rick Nelson
Charlotte, NC

Current Rides:
99 Vulcan Classic 1500
08 Concours 1400
79 Goldwing GL1000 (No longer a project. She's a runner!)
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

Lots of guys are always looking.
I wonder ehat the cost is?
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

duke182 wrote:Lots of guys are always looking.
I wonder ehat the cost is?
If it the stainless ones that were talked about before, the cost was out of sight.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
albiedog
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by albiedog »

Saw a couple of samples of these on the GWOCGB stand at Stafford Show this weekend just gone. Fabulous reproductions. Price expected to be around the £1000 mark I was informed. Not sure of when they will actually go on sale though yet.
GL1000 1977
PoolDude
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by PoolDude »

rnelson wrote:I'm still wondering what I'm going to do with mine. Functionally it's still okay, but the chrome is pretty rusty on the base part. The shields are pretty good. I'm contemplating painting the base black and polishing the shields up nice. I believe the 75 looks kind of like that.

Since the PO had taken off the shields and painted the exhaust with gray paint I decided to do just that. With a little help from a friend in the auto body business I made some passable shields and painted the rest of the system black. Look pretty good if I do say so. I also have turn down chrome tips to finish off the look.

1975 GL1000
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

albiedog wrote:Saw a couple of samples of these on the GWOCGB stand at Stafford Show this weekend just gone. Fabulous reproductions. Price expected to be around the £1000 mark I was informed. Not sure of when they will actually go on sale though yet.
At over $1600 USD, I think I'll pass.
rnelson
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by rnelson »

PoolDude wrote:
rnelson wrote:I'm still wondering what I'm going to do with mine. Functionally it's still okay, but the chrome is pretty rusty on the base part. The shields are pretty good. I'm contemplating painting the base black and polishing the shields up nice. I believe the 75 looks kind of like that.

Since the PO had taken off the shields and painted the exhaust with gray paint I decided to do just that. With a little help from a friend in the auto body business I made some passable shields and painted the rest of the system black. Look pretty good if I do say so. I also have turn down chrome tips to finish off the look.
Thanks for the pic. I think that's what I'm going to do.
Rick Nelson
Charlotte, NC

Current Rides:
99 Vulcan Classic 1500
08 Concours 1400
79 Goldwing GL1000 (No longer a project. She's a runner!)
albiedog
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by albiedog »

SnoBrdr wrote:
albiedog wrote:Saw a couple of samples of these on the GWOCGB stand at Stafford Show this weekend just gone. Fabulous reproductions. Price expected to be around the £1000 mark I was informed. Not sure of when they will actually go on sale though yet.
Not cheap I agree but the only way to get a new standard system if that is what an owner wants. Find a NOS system and it would set you back just as much I expect. Apparently the stainless option is not planned at present.
I must say the die tool made to perform the pressing must have cost a bit to make. The system looked an exact match with all indents as per the originals. The cost apparently includes the heat shields.

The guy on the stand mentioned that the next thing on the cards is reproducing the front mud guard.
GL1000 1977
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

albiedog wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:
Not cheap I agree but the only way to get a new standard system if that is what an owner wants. Find a NOS system and it would set you back just as much I expect. Apparently the stainless option is not planned at present.
I must say the die tool made to perform the pressing must have cost a bit to make. The system looked an exact match with all indents as per the originals. The cost apparently includes the heat shields.

The guy on the stand mentioned that the next thing on the cards is reproducing the front mud guard.
To drag in another thread, you'd think that if they spent all this $$$ to produce the tooling for the exhaust that they might have looked at producing bearings as well.

You'd think and I have idea how to prove this, that they'd sell a heck of a lot more bearings than exhausts.
Werner
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Werner »

If I would give a local machine shop R16700 and ask them to copy my exhaust, they'll jump for it.
Red 1976 GL1000 (sold)

Where the good wine is
skydog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by skydog »

Over on this side of the pond we have more options than you guy's do.Plenty of the 78-79 exhausts still around,Harley take offs,and the aftermarkets.1600$ would buy a whole bike lolol
75 naked "Blue Streak" gone
78 fairing bags "Brownie" 4 sale
80 standard project 4 sale
84 Standard, Vetter bags "Horse with no name"
85 Interstate gone
84 aspy
86 aspy
"When the day comes to settle down,who's to blame if you're not around?You took the long way home"
albiedog
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by albiedog »

skydog wrote:Over on this side of the pond we have more options than you guy's do.Plenty of the 78-79 exhausts still around,Harley take offs,and the aftermarkets.1600$ would buy a whole bike lolol
Very true. You guys are real fortunate in both those respects of bikes at a fraction of UK cost and used spares availability we can only dream about. However, it is still pleasing to see that some enterprising soles are willing to take up the baton and have a go at supplying an item that is no longer made and can only be obtained in a used condition. Only time will tell if they can make it pay or at least cover their costs if profit is not the driving force behind the project. I suspect it is being done for the love of the marque rather than an outright money making venture.

I was also told that the production items will be internally coated with some process that I can not remember the details of now, to give them a decent life span. Whether I will stump up for a set myself though is not yet decided, as I take the point that it is a fair percentage of the cost of a full machine, even in the UK. Whatever, I applaud these guys and I'll definitely be following the progress. Hopefully someone from the GWOCGB will read this thread and advise us further.
GL1000 1977
77Pinto
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 77Pinto »

Glad to see this being done!

By my following comments I am NOT attempting to insult or discourage anyone from making this or other parts, just pointing out some facts that most people don't think about.

The photo I saw showed the muffler and overall it looked great. It did not have the inlet pipes, and the chrome tips did not have the rolled edges. I will assume those things will be addressed. Don't understand how people talked about it looking "perfect" with those details, but will look far better than old rusted ones for sure.

The cost recovery of the tooling/manufacturing is the big question. The higher the price point on the item, the less that sell, the more time it will take to sell them, the more they have to sell each one for. If they drop the price they will sell more, make less on each one, but in the long run it could work for them. Lots of people/companies make reproduction items only to over-price and under-sell, and not only stop production, but stop making parts for those type vehicles. Attempting to pay off investment costs too quickly can hurt sales. Also, the lack of understanding the true market for an item can have a big impact as well. Seen it many times in the auto world; its hard for a owner of a $2,500. car to justify an investment in a $300. item that is not needed for anything other than cosmetics, but its not for the owner of a $25,000. car.

This just might be in my area, but I have seen prices on these bikes (and parts) in a decline for the last 10 years. Maybe not as much for show quality Wings, but at least the daily riders for sure. Finding, fixing, and flipping was profitable, now not so much.

I too have dabbled into making reproduction parts. Mostly it has been something I needed, made a bunch extra to sell and off-set my costs. There are some things that worked, and others I know would not have so I did not bother. Having a business plan and market knowledge is critical, as well as knowing what your customers expect; in this case how cosmetically similar to the original will it be, and is 'close-enough' going to be 'good-enough' for most of the target buyers. For ME, I would sooner pay the number mentioned for one that was nearly identical to factory looking and is made to last, but would NOT pay half of that if I could tell it was a re-pop from 20 feet away or if I thought it would only look good for a few years with the best of care. Other people might prefer versions of the opposites.

I wonder what their business model is.

Bill
1976 GL1000 LTD (X2)
1976 GL1000 Sulfur
1977 GL1000
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

well said. And I agree
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200