More shiny bits, before and after

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Steve81GL1100
Silver Member
Silver Member

More shiny bits, before and after

Post by Steve81GL1100 »

While waiting for my Randakk kit to arrive, I decided to try and clean up the intake tubes a little. I had previously tried attacking them with the buffer, which proved to be less than satisfactory owing to the difficulty buffing the inside radius of the runner tube. Today I decided to try the same method I used to buff out the cam covers and timing belt covers. I wet sanded this one with 600, then 1000, then 1500. Once I was satisfied with the look (actually a pretty nice satin), I went after it with my trusty Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish. After a little bit of working with the Mother's, this is what I have:

I think rather than replace the clamps, which appear to be in serviceable condition, I'll remove them and paint them with the same aluminum paint I used on the engine block.

Now on to the other 3 dancr .....

The vacuum chambers should be easier -- I can reach all the nooks and crannies with the buffer on those. Plus, it does a better job around the lettering than hand sanding and polishing can.

I'll post more pics once the kit comes and I have time to put the whole thing back together again.

Steve
Steve
1981 GL 1100 Standard, 81 Interstate bags, 84 GL1200 pegs, sometime National Cycle PlexiStar windshield
1996 BMW R1100R
2007 Piaggio X9 Evo500, wife's ride so she can keep up with the GL
1980 Vespa P200 (also wife's), restored, with custom paint, custom trim
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Re: More shiny bits, before and after

Post by Roady »

Nice!

I like the patina on the clamps, as is I say. ;)
Steve81GL1100
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Steve81GL1100 »

Yeah, they do kind of blend in that way don't they? May go with a satin black instead of the silver, we'll see...

Steve
Steve
1981 GL 1100 Standard, 81 Interstate bags, 84 GL1200 pegs, sometime National Cycle PlexiStar windshield
1996 BMW R1100R
Roady

Post by Roady »

She's 33. Maybe a little sign of age is good?

Roa(fan of patina)dy. :-)
El_Taco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by El_Taco »

I did that, but I started with files and emery cloth. Had to get rid of that line up the back side, and some of them had a circular casting mark at the base that had to go. All told, I had about twelve hours in each of them. Getting all of the grit, then the fine lines out of the corners was the worst part.

No, what's worse is that because the carbs are off, you can get to the thermostat housing and transfer tubes. Might as well reseal the tubes, so why not sand the paint off and polish them? Elbows look good polished too. What I found was that as soon as I started taking paint off, everything aluminum had potential. In other words, this led to this, which led to that, so why not that, and this would look good.... until I had a big pile of parts on the table and little motivation left to polish everything.

So my engine never came back out, the 78 engine still has no kick starter, and I never finished the whole stator cover, much less the clutch cover. It's all in boxes now, all the rough work done. Every line and casting mark shaved from all kinds of stuff, just waiting to be finished and installed. It'll look great... someday.

It's a lot of work, and very rewarding. Polished parts really make these bikes stand out in a crowd.
Steve81GL1100
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Steve81GL1100 »

The T-stat housing and coolant tubes are already done and back on the bike. I cleaned them up and painted them the original silver -- they're pretty much invisible in there anyway.

I like the "soft polish" look I'm getting with the Mother's. I could spend the extra time to bring it all up to a mirror shine, but that's more bling-y than I want and that much more to maintain. Once it's done (hopefully in the next few months) I want to ride it, not spend all my time polishing :)

Steve
Steve
1996 BMW R1100R
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Steve81GL1100 wrote:While waiting for my Randakk kit to arrive, I decided to try and clean up the intake tubes a little. I had previously tried attacking them with the buffer, which proved to be less than satisfactory owing to the difficulty buffing the inside radius of the runner tube. Today I decided to try the same method I used to buff out the cam covers and timing belt covers. I wet sanded this one with 600, then 1000, then 1500. Once I was satisfied with the look (actually a pretty nice satin), I went after it with my trusty Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish. After a little bit of working with the Mother's, this is what I have:

I think rather than replace the clamps, which appear to be in serviceable condition, I'll remove them and paint them with the same aluminum paint I used on the engine block.

Now on to the other 3 dancr .....

The vacuum chambers should be easier -- I can reach all the nooks and crannies with the buffer on those. Plus, it does a better job around the lettering than hand sanding and polishing can.

I'll post more pics once the kit comes and I have time to put the whole thing back together again.

Steve
How long did it take you to do the one ?
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Steve81GL1100
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Steve81GL1100 »

SnoBrdr,
I fiddled around with it for probably a half hour -- these go much faster than the cam covers did :P Add another half hour or so to remove the clamps, shoot them with some paint, let it dry, and stick them back on and everything will look new

Steve
Steve
1996 BMW R1100R
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Randakk sells some real nice stainless clamps that tighten better and look great as well
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

With the older rubber the newer style clamps really do make a difference. But when the project is all together and you are chasing the tuning they are still easy to swap out.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

i like that finish, very close to oem
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Steve81GL1100
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Steve81GL1100 »

Thanks Sunnbobb! That's kind of the look I was hoping to achieve. Coming from you, that really means something
Steve
Steve
1996 BMW R1100R
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

I'm happy with the patina mine have. I like that word. Pa tin ah. Yep, I'm going with that!
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(