New Ethanol rules

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: New Ethanol rules

Post by Toehead »

The real problem with ethanol fuel, in my opinion, is how unstable it is in storage. I've had gas go bad after only sitting several weeks, which never used to happen. Another problem is the hygroscopic property of ethanol: It doesn't take much moisture absorption to cause a phase separation. If that happens, you are sitting with a nice slug of water and ethanol in the bottom of your tank, and it quickly leads to corrosion of anything made of metal.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

all true. but it is here to stay, so we just have to do the best we can with our old machines. i don't find 10% to be a mechanical problem. and if it stays around to long, i'm sure the aftermarket people will come up with an additive to solve our problem
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

CYBORG wrote:all true. but it is here to stay, so we just have to do the best we can with our old machines. i don't find 10% to be a mechanical problem. and if it stays around to long, i'm sure the aftermarket people will come up with an additive to solve our problem
It's been around since 07, how long before the aftermarket people see this and do something.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
aussiewingman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by aussiewingman »

i saw something on television over here about in America they've found the biggest oil reserve ever in american history and basicly ethenol fuels will be fazed out by the amount they've found...
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

we have always had large reserves, but have made the decision to keep it in case of war, etc, and purchase it on the open market. a lot of it is politics i'm sure. seems to me i have seen some products at the auto parts store that are aimed at the ethanol fuel situation,but i'm not sure. it has not caused me any problems so far, so i'm not to concerned about it. i do separate the ethanol out of the pump fuel for my lawn mowers etc. but not a big deal
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
twowings
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by twowings »

In Canada, Shell stations sell their highest octane fuels ethanol free. Pay a bit more but the bikes run better.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Addicted to Honda's
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

Whiskerfish wrote:Bye Bye
:IDTS:
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

I can always find ethanol free, high octane gasoline,......... in the tanks of my wife's airplane ;) . I can fill up the GoldWing 70 times devil1 . But it does come with a down side, it's illegal to use, as it has lead. However, I do use it as a storage fuel most winters, but this winter my tank will be empty. I have also used it as a storage fuel for my older gas powered boats, but my latest boat is diesel, so that does not work as well anymore. There still are some places up here where you can get 'pure' gasoline, but I have no idea how long that will last.
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Recycled Roadkill wrote:
Whiskerfish wrote:Bye Bye
:IDTS:
It's not my place to question the moderators (This is the best moderated forum I have ever had the pleasure of belonging to) , but I have never seen any questionable posts by this particular member. Contrary to that, I have seen more than a few posts and threads of value that he has contributed in. I hope this is all a misunderstanding of sorts that we can move past and focus on the bikes.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
aussiewingman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by aussiewingman »

so maybe ethanol fuel is just a market to assist farmers , isn't in brazil they run everything on ethanol fuels???
i hear about methane extraction from waste products etc....
would be much better if we ran things on our waste by-products...
but.....who wants to smell the smell of fart gasses all day.... :)
aussiewingman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by aussiewingman »

people would then be eating their greens to get ultimate fuel mileage...and baked beans :)
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

IRT NewWinger I normally do not discuss situations like this in the public view but this time is a bit different as a part of it happened in public. Also I do not want to remove it so it seems like I am trying to cover something up. I had attempted to deal with him in Private but he was just not getting the message. It was a gamble but there was a chance he would respond to some public correction but unfortunately that just accelerated the inevitable.

As far as I am concerned NewWinger made his own decision about no longer being a member here. Over the last couple of months he had been given warnings from several different Moderators regarding his political posts and his bullying attitude. It got to the point last month that he was suspended for 24 Hours in an attempt to get his attention. After I got home from my last trip and started seeing his behavior it was concerning. He crossed the line on a post and I sent him a PM explaining why we do not have discussions like that here. His response was argumentative and not in the least contrite. His last warning was just a week ago.

In the last month at least 5 of his posts have gotten attention from the Moderation staff. Not acceptable behavior here. I am aware that he had made some contributions to the board and had been quite active but I will not allow the integrity of this board to be dragged down to that level. This Board is full of good people that treat each other with respect, some people just don't seem to be able to operate under those conditions. I guess they need drama and stress in their lives to feel complete, well those people do not belong here.

So he has been banned permanently. That may seem harsh to some but in the last few weeks there have been at least a half dozen communications between different Moderators and him and there just was no sign that things were going to improve. I can be very lenient when somebody screws up and has a bad day. But to continue to Stir the Pot after being told the issue is dead is just trying to start a fight and that behavior is not acceptable here.

I am not posting this to start a discussion but to share with the membership that this was not an isolated incident and he had been given plenty of warning and opportunity to fix this. He elected to continue pushing instead.

If there are comments or concerns my PM box has some room in it :) :) :)
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
aussiewingman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by aussiewingman »

ROCK-ON!!!!!
evilratwing
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.photobucket.com/evil03ratwing

Post by evilratwing »

We have a gas station near where I live where 0%E can still be purchased at a premium... I'm tempted to run it in my turbo Subaru... Not looking forward to more broken parts though.

Tell me... if we can fiddle with the tuning on our bikes, is it feasible to create more power from this E10/E15/E85 fuel? I have friends in the Turbo DSM/Subaru community who are making ridiculous power from very small displacement engines.

What if somebody did a compression ratio mod and bumped to something like 12:1 and used the biggest cams available with the most tunable carbs available and found a way to have a blow-molded styrene fuel tank created that fits same as stock? Certainly the corrosion factor would still need to be managed but with no tank rust to worry about, any corrosion would be limited to the easily rebuildable carbs... like the big webers or something.

Personally, I'd love the idea of somebody with cubic dollars building a "what-if" GL1000 engine to see where the potential can go on such fuels.

I do understand all of the cases against ethanol... but if we're being force-fed the stuff the least we can do is make lemonade, right??

A 130HP Honda 1000cc flat four just sounds particularly delicious to me. Something that's built to run 11,000RPM.

(yes, that was a Spinal Tap reference. :lol: )
The bike is essentially just another bike... The pilot is CRAZY.

http://www.photobucket.com/evil03ratwing
Whargoul - Murdered out 1978 GL1000 - Engine KaBOOM.
Cherry Cough Syrup - 2009 Suzuki M90 - 3,300 miles.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

evilratwing wrote:We have a gas station near where I live where 0%E can still be purchased at a premium... I'm tempted to run it in my turbo Subaru... Not looking forward to more broken parts though.

Tell me... if we can fiddle with the tuning on our bikes, is it feasible to create more power from this E10/E15/E85 fuel? I have friends in the Turbo DSM/Subaru community who are making ridiculous power from very small displacement engines.

What if somebody did a compression ratio mod and bumped to something like 12:1 and used the biggest cams available with the most tunable carbs available and found a way to have a blow-molded styrene fuel tank created that fits same as stock? Certainly the corrosion factor would still need to be managed but with no tank rust to worry about, any corrosion would be limited to the easily rebuildable carbs... like the big webers or something.

Personally, I'd love the idea of somebody with cubic dollars building a "what-if" GL1000 engine to see where the potential can go on such fuels.

I do understand all of the cases against ethanol... but if we're being force-fed the stuff the least we can do is make lemonade, right??

A 130HP Honda 1000cc flat four just sounds particularly delicious to me. Something that's built to run 11,000RPM.

(yes, that was a Spinal Tap reference. :lol: )

What is 0% ethanol?

Is it still unleaded ?

I read here, where someone in Canada says he can still buy leaded gas. Thought that was long gone.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k