New Ethanol rules

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New Ethanol rules

Post by SnoBrdr »

There was a item on the Today show this AM.

It was said that the government is going to raise the limit on how much ethanol can be in fuel. It is now 10%.

The small engine manufacturers were screaming about how it would kill engines in boats, lawn movers, chain saw, etc, etc.

How would this effect the MC community ?
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
CYBORG

Re: New Ethanol rules

Post by CYBORG »

the american motorcylist association magazine had a long article on that this month. Seems they want to raise it to 15%. as it stands now the law states that the pumps must be clearly marked 15%, and that the station must also have a 10% pump. Its not that hard to remove the ethenol from the fuel yuou buy if you want to go that route. however 10% is not a real problem, except for lower MPG
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
NewWinger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NewWinger »

CYBORG wrote:the american motorcylist association magazine had a long article on that this month. Seems they want to raise it to 15%. as it stands now the law states that the pumps must be clearly marked 15%, and that the station must also have a 10% pump. Its not that hard to remove the ethenol from the fuel yuou buy if you want to go that route. however 10% is not a real problem, except for lower MPG
That's why the small engine industry is chomping at the bit. I always run my yard and grounds machines dry before I put them away for the season which includes running Stabil through them on the last run.

SNIP Comment removed.

NewWinger apparently you are thick headed and it takes a baseball bat to get through to you. Out of respect and courtesy I tried doing this in private but you do not heed the warnings. This is my house, my rules. You seem to enjoy acting like a teenager trying to push the boundaries constantly. That does not work here. Last warning and then you are history. Whiskerfish
Kenny
Illegitimi non carborundum
'77 GL1000 my first bike @58
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

ethanol. a total waste of energy. Farmers and most people know that. Monsanto and others are the culprit. JB
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

Last article I read claimed that even the EPA was firmly against the higher percentage. That 10% was as far as the systems can tolerate and the problems that are associated with 10% are terribly agrivated with the additional 5%. So where does the pressure to bump it up again come from. Luckily I can still buy but E0 without going too far out of my way for weed eaters and blowers. Even my 2012 Honda snow blower states 10% maximum.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

salukispeed wrote:Last article I read claimed that even the EPA was firmly against the higher percentage. That 10% was as far as the systems can tolerate and the problems that are associated with 10% are terribly agrivated with the additional 5%. So where does the pressure to bump it up again come from. Luckily I can still buy but E0 without going too far out of my way for weed eaters and blowers. Even my 2012 Honda snow blower states 10% maximum.
Is it possible that the corn growers have been putting a lot of pressure on congress ?

Haven't corn prices gone thru the roof since this all started?
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
pierce
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: pierce

Post by pierce »

I don't know much on this subject as Wisconsin has non ethanol available at most stations, but what I do know is that the other day I put in regular and I panicked at how my mpg suffered. it also seemed to develop a slight hesitation, like it would miss every few minutes. thought perhaps I was developing a carb issue, but as soon as I went back to non ethanol it was fine. the extreme cold weather could also have something to do with it as it was about 6 degree.
1976 GL1000
1978 Gl1000
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

I have always used 10% in my 1100 and do not notice any bad effects.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

according to the AMA article, there are only a few stats that now already have E15, at limited locations. i have not seen it, that i recall. but it MUST be clearly posted at the pump. and if it ids a blended pump, they must also have a pump that is not blended for fuel that is E0 or E10. those costs to the stations alone might slow the E15 advance
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
milesoffun
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by milesoffun »

I swear I read recently where the whole idea of ethanol was under review due to the now abundant supply of oil as well as the problems growing all that corn for fuel rather than food has caused. Did anybody else see that?
MilesOfFun
80 GL1100 - Yellow (Got wet due to Huricane Sally - gonna give it a try!)
83 GL1100I - Blue (Got wet due to Huricane Sally - but gonna give it a try!)
bubblerboy64
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by bubblerboy64 »

Could we ever just admit "we tried it and it didn't work"? Seems like that's impossible
John Heckman
Central Pa
jehdds@hotmail.com
2010 Triumph Bonneville SE
2012 Vespa GTV300ie
2012 Harley Sportster Custom
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT
NewWinger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NewWinger »

NewWinger wrote:
CYBORG wrote:the american motorcylist association magazine had a long article on that this month. Seems they want to raise it to 15%. as it stands now the law states that the pumps must be clearly marked 15%, and that the station must also have a 10% pump. Its not that hard to remove the ethenol from the fuel yuou buy if you want to go that route. however 10% is not a real problem, except for lower MPG
That's why the small engine industry is chomping at the bit. I always run my yard and grounds machines dry before I put them away for the season which includes running Stabil through them on the last run.

SNIP Comment removed.

NewWinger apparently you are thick headed and it takes a baseball bat to get through to you. Out of respect and courtesy I tried doing this in private but you do not heed the warnings. This is my house, my rules. You seem to enjoy acting like a teenager trying to push the boundaries constantly. That does not work here. Last warning and then you are history. Whiskerfish
Thanks you for the respect and courtesy shown this time too.
However, only one acting like a teenager is the one who posted a blatant insult PUBLICLY and that is YOU!
I'm surprised that this is so unbecoming of a gentleman of your retired rank.

I was not sarcastic, was not disrespectful or insulting but I saw the discussion going south towards politics. Nothing wrong with eyeing the boundery to stay out of it, is there?
Kenny
Illegitimi non carborundum
'77 GL1000 my first bike @58
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Bye Bye
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

I was under the impression that E85 could only be used in vehicles with engines designed to run on that fuel. A few years back, "60 Minutes" did a piece all about E85 and how it was a great alternative to using regular fuels. They also got into some of the specifics regarding why certain vehicles could or couldn't run on it. I guess as long as the 10% fuel is offered alongside, we have no worries. Unfortunately, there are no ethanol-free pumps within reasonable driving distance of me else I would definitely fill up all my bikes with it at the end of the riding season.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

The nearest ones for me are 40 miles or better so I have to run the crap gas. My Bud's place in SC has real gas places all around him. It is really a shame that they have forced this on us. It costs more to make and costs more to operate. I loose 2-3 mpg on the Wing with it. Not sure about my Truck as I have never run real gas in it that I recall
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!