Look what I got from Sabre Cycles buyer beware

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

groupus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Look what I got from Sabre Cycles buyer beware

Post by groupus »

A headache.

A very big headache.

This belt is a year and a half old with 4,800 miles on it. I was slowing for a turn and down shifting when it happened. Pulled the clutch in and it just died because the left cam was no longer closing the points. I'm hoping for minimal damage since i kept the clutch in and and didn't force it. The engine is still able to turn over without interference.
What is the least intrusive way to see if the valves may have suffered damage? I do not have an air compressor to pressure test the different valve positions to see if there is a leak.

Needless to say, I am livid at SC, but there is nothing I can do about it now. Next time I will buy quality.
Attachments
IMG_20130806_131355_472.jpg
IMG_20130806_131355_472.jpg (38.59 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

every now and then, when things are not going to well in the shop, i ask myself why i do it. and the answer is that riding is good....but time in the shop is also good. - CYBORG

78 gl1000 cafe build: http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=51461

79 full fairing - current status: Haunted http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60334
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Look what I got from Sabre Cycles

Post by Placerville »

First, I'm very sorry this has happened and I hope your bike hasn't suffered any damage. (BTW, good clutch move.) Second, what brand are those belts? Can you tell?
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

compression check..all plugs out, throttle full open, crank her over with compression gauge in each cylinder one at a time..gauge?? $15 at most parts stores.

You could replace the belts then pull the valve covers and check the tappet gaps if they are still right..then the valves are working and nothing was bent. If bent the setting will be off and not change as the valve will be stuck open or shut.

But I'd turn her over by hand first several times to be sure your valves aren't hitting..if they are not you were very lucky!!!
Last edited by RB on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by brokentoe »

That stinks. Sorry for your bad experience.
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!
groupus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by groupus »

The belts are Baracuda Bike Parts, made in China :oops:

RB, i'm guessing I will need to replace the belts to do a compression check? (I still have the original belts as spares) Thanks for the suggestions, those seem like pretty easy ways to check; the last thing I wanted was to start ripping the head off.

Also, I cranked the engine over several times trying to start it when I first thought it was an electrical problem. it turned over easily with no odd noise. So I'm trying to figure out if that is a good or bad thing :-? Could be that there is no interference; could mean that the valves have been bent out of the way. I have a hard time believing that all 4 valves have come to rest in a safe place, but I can hope.

Updates to follow
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

every now and then, when things are not going to well in the shop, i ask myself why i do it. and the answer is that riding is good....but time in the shop is also good. - CYBORG

79 full fairing - current status: Haunted http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60334
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

groupus wrote:The belts are Baracuda Bike Parts, made in China :oops:

RB, i'm guessing I will need to replace the belts to do a compression check? (I still have the original belts as spares) Thanks for the suggestions, those seem like pretty easy ways to check; the last thing I wanted was to start ripping the head off.

Also, I cranked the engine over several times trying to start it when I first thought it was an electrical problem. it turned over easily with no odd noise. So I'm trying to figure out if that is a good or bad thing :-? Could be that there is no interference; could mean that the valves have been bent out of the way. I have a hard time believing that all 4 valves have come to rest in a safe place, but I can hope.

Updates to follow
Considering where you sit right now the easiest thing you could do is replace that timing belt as you said, and check compression. it's worth seeing what you get with very little more work at this point.
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Sorry this happened to you.

Get the crank aligned with the T1 mark, then rotate counterclockwise by 90 degrees. You can then rotate the cam on the broken side without fear of hitting anything with the valves. Get it lined up to the timing mark, rotate back to T1, and throw a belt on there. Then a quick compression check. With luck you will be fine. Even if you have a bent valve, rebuilding the head isn't too hard, just need a lot of time and some money for the gaskets and o-rings.

Then, order belts from cascade cycle. Probably cheaper as well!
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
NewWinger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NewWinger »

Sorry for your trouble.
I think I bought my new belts from Sabre cycle aswell. :( The good news is that I haven't put the engine into service yet.
Will check my parts reciepts as soon as I get home. If they did come from Sabre, I'm pullin em and going to cascade
for a new set.

Good luck!
Kenny
Illegitimi non carborundum
'77 GL1000 my first bike @58
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

Yet another black eye for Saber Cycles.
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
NewWinger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NewWinger »

:IDTS: Yep, I was able to go to Sabre Cycles website and look up my orders and it turns out I did buy by belts from them.
Needless to say, I'm going to get another set, probably the Gates set.

Thanks for warning me. I'm new and haven't put the engine in her yet. You probably save me a lot of heart burn! :flamer

Kenny
Kenny
groupus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by groupus »

NewWinger, you might be ok with the belts from Sabre Cycles if you are also replacing the tensioner too. You can see in my pic that the one side of the belt is worn heavily. At the time I replaced them, the tensioner seemed ok, but it was of unknown age. That's my mistake for not doing it right, and I believe that that is heavily responsible for their early failure. I also ride my bike hard. It is stripped down and I love tearing around and reving it out. I also did a burnout competition at Carlisle bike week a few weekends ago :lol:

If ride your bike like a normal human and plan on replacing the belts BEFORE the recommended period, they should last 1000s of miles. It's up to you, but my bike has seen more abuse than most. Just my $0.02.

NewWinger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NewWinger »

groupus,
I hear you and thanks, but I all ready ordered a set of gates. I have never owned a bike before and this project is what I call "Cycletheropy".
I am very cautious and had I known the SC belts were Chinese, I would never of bought them. As it is I did replace the tensioners while I was at it since their age
and condition were unknown. I will likely rider her like the Old grampa that I am so now I am doublely confident my preventative maintenance will stand me in good stead. BTW last time I rode a bike was when I was only 19 and I have a grand total of about 8 hrs time riding in my life. I'm 58 now and "Lookin for adventure."
Gonna take the rider's safety course before I hit the road...in the mean time I have a bike to put together...77 GL1000.

You can pay a therapist or have fun hobbies. I prefer tinkering.

All the best,

Kenny
Kenny
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

First you say this.................

"Needless to say, I am livid at SC, but there is nothing I can do about it now. Next time I will buy quality."

Then this..................
groupus wrote:NewWinger, you might be ok with the belts from Sabre Cycles if you are also replacing the tensioner too. You can see in my pic that the one side of the belt is worn heavily. At the time I replaced them, the tensioner seemed ok, but it was of unknown age. That's my mistake for not doing it right, and I believe that that is heavily responsible for their early failure. I also ride my bike hard. It is stripped down and I love tearing around and reving it out. I also did a burnout competition at Carlisle bike week a few weekends ago :lol:

If ride your bike like a normal human and plan on replacing the belts BEFORE the recommended period, they should last 1000s of miles. It's up to you, but my bike has seen more abuse than most. Just my $0.02.
Believe me, I would never stand up for SC. But you can't talk a place down for their product and then say that you may have added to the failure. ;)
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
backwoodz
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by backwoodz »

Sorry to hear man but why would anyone buy chinese belts when you can buy gates for $15 each?
1981 GL1100
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Not to hijack this thread but given SC's reputation I would never buy or use anything from them.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread