Dead wing!!

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

egonski
Lead Member
Lead Member

Dead wing!!

Post by egonski »

Hi

Coming back from a ride yesterday, I stopped to fill up and the bike wouldn't restart, just nothing when you push the button. Idiot lights came on except the neutral green light. Flicked the run/stop switch a couple of times and turned keys on/off. Bike then started OK. Got home and a bit concerned about this and the bike will not start at all. There is nothing when you push the button. The headlight dies when you try to start it but the other electrics seem fine, horn, indicators. I have tried jumping it connected to another battery and no change so I'm fairly sure it isn't that. I have taken the run/stop button off and cleaned the contacts and did get a bit of movement but only very slight and only the once. I am thinking that the missing neutral light has something to do with this as reading up on it shows that it either stays on through all the gears or just doesn't show when in neutral.
Really just asking for any ideas, the fuses are all good and I have swapped them round to try. Possible starter motor jamming?. There is absolutely nothing when you hit the button.

All offerings considered!!, I bought the bike to ride from Lands end to John o groats, the length of the country, and although I have done nearly 1000 trouble free miles, this is going to put a stop to that idea!!

Thanks

Ian
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Dead wing!!

Post by taylorsel »

Might help to know which GL you have. You should be able to bump the starter by putting a screwdriver across the two bolts on the starter switch solenoid near the rear of the battery. That would tell you if there is a problem with your starter motor. It sounds like a problem with the natural position switch but I'll let more experienced members chime in on how to check that switch.
STEVE LOGAN, 1979 GOLDWING, 1978 GOLDWING, 1976 GOLDWING
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

sure sounds like a problem in the starter switch assembly from what you've said. They do fall apart sometimes there is a replacement setup from radio shack that fits..several threads on it on this site.
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
egonski
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by egonski »

All I can find is that it is a 1977 GL1000. It is a US import if that helps.
oldwings 78
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by oldwings 78 »

DSCN2746.JPG
DSCN2746.JPG (57.3 KiB) Viewed 279 times
I know that there will be more informed posts to follow. My thougt is that the neutral switch is your problem. I don't know what year your wing is, but according to the 75-79 Honda manual, the neutral switch should have continuity to ground in neutral and open to ground in gear. There is also the clutch switch which should have continuity with the clutch applied and open with with the clutch released. The neutral switch is on the lower right side of the motor behind the front mount. The clutch switch is on the clutch. Hope this helps you.
Terry
PS if you follow the wire in the second pic. it will lead you to the switch.
Attachments
DSCN2745.JPG
DSCN2745.JPG (42.81 KiB) Viewed 279 times
"A man who is good at making excuses is rarely good at anything else" Benjamin Franklin
"A man who will sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither" Benjamin Franklin
'78s are the best looking GLs Just ask Doc
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

Could be a bad connection on one of the diodes and or clutch switch. Have you tried pulling the clutch lever and starting?
If it'll start with the clutch pulled in it's likely a diode or the electrical connection to it. There's four diodes on a '77 and one involves the neutral light and clutch switch and starting.
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
egonski
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by egonski »

Thanks for all the help so far. The model I have doesn't seem to require the clutch to be held in when starting, though I have been doing this in case the lack of neutral light is making the bike think it is in gear.I am going to check out the earthing to the switch tomorrow using the pictures sent, but I also think it possible that the starter solenoid may have died as there is no clicking from it when trying to start. That seems to be the cheapest part to start replacing!!

Thanks
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

If you had a multimeter you could check to see if any power is getting to the starter solenoid due to a disconnect in the natural switch circuit. If no power is getting to the solenoid it would not click whether the solenoid was good or not. solenoids may be cheap but I went down that rout once and ended up buying three of them. Turned out it was a diode. Just a thought. By the way the diodes are those reddish brown squarish things on the side of the false tank frame. Don't mean to insult you just didn't want to assume you knew what they looked like. I didn't know before I had to replace one.
STEVE LOGAN, 1979 GOLDWING, 1978 GOLDWING, 1976 GOLDWING
egonski
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by egonski »

No offence taken at all, I'm just glad for all the ideas, I like to fix things myself if possible, just for the satisfaction and also, if it goes wrong again, you know how to sort it.
PoolDude
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by PoolDude »

There is a switch on the clutch lever assy that will do just what you have described. It's # 11 on this diagram and is there to prevent the bike from starting without the clutch lever being pulled in. http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_secti ... veh=131056

I had a similar issue with mine and in desperation cut the wires and twisted them together. Worked like a charm except now I can start the bike in gear which could be bad. It's marked "Starter Cutoff Switch" on this diagram

1975 GL1000
egonski
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by egonski »

Thanks, I will use a bit of wire to join the two connectors tomorrow, I didn't even realise this bike had that function, I usually check it's in neutral and start it up to let it warm as I put lid and gloves on, I haven't had to pull the clutch in or raise the stand to get it to go. I have a feeling this may not be the problem, the neutral light issue is bothering me, it could of course just be the bulb that has gone, but have you tried getting at the bloody bulb to check!!? Thanks for the idea, I'm happy to check all things, doesn't cost anything and it's a little more knowledge gained.
Cheers.
PoolDude
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by PoolDude »

As a matter of fact I have replaced all the indicator bulbs. Not too hard to do, pull the screws marked 30 and 27 and the top of the housing comes off. http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_secti ... veh=131056

BTW, here is a link to a factory manual: http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/GL10 ... manual.pdf

Takes a long time to download but sure has helped me.
1975 GL1000
egonski
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by egonski »

Oh man, what a idiot I am!!, I didn't notice the two lower screws because of the cables routed by them, I spent twenty minutes yesterday cursing Honda while trying to get at the bulbs from underneath!!I've just been outside now and removed the cover and checked the bulb, it works, in less than five minutes!!. Now that was something worth learning!!
egonski
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by egonski »

Good news, she is alive!!
After all your welcome advice, I tracked down the problem, and needless to say, it was a pretty simple fix.
I had no idea that there was a clutch cutout switch as I haven't had to hold the clutch in to start the bike, this is because the switch seems to have disintegrated inside itself. The bike would start on the button with no need to hold the clutch in, on taking it apart and bridging the two connectors, she fired up no problem. I am ordering a new switch and a main fuse as that was pretty ropey as well. The bike is over 35 years old after all so some corrosion is to be expected. The neutral light was even simpler, the bulb had somehow worked itself loose from the holder and wasn't making a connection, it threw me when I put the bulb in another socket and it worked, I hadn't thought to then check it was seating properly. Five new bulbs for the instrument cluster and away I go.
Many thanks indeed for all your quick replies and advice, even though I wouldn't class myself as a novice fiddler, I am new to the wing and that is always enough to block your usual clear sense of reasoning!!. All in all, a good afternoons work and time for a beer.

Thanks again.
NewWinger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NewWinger »

Go to Shop Talk and look up this tutorial.

"Neutral (The Light, The Switch, And The Diode) by Roncar - The why on that button not working."

It describes in detail where your problem may be.
Shop talk is the priceless

Kenny
Kenny
Illegitimi non carborundum
'77 GL1000 my first bike @58