Head bearing re-seat procedure?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

drumgod
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Head bearing re-seat procedure?

Post by drumgod »

I know there was a head bearing re-seat and adjustment write-up somewhere on the Internet in the past. It involved tightening the head down over-tight then working the bars back and forth before final adjustment. I had thought it was on the shop talk page here but it is not. After an hour of searching I cannot find it anywhere...

If someone could provide me with a link I would be very grateful. TIA
'81 GL1100
'77 GL1000
'76 CB550K
CYBORG

Re: Head bearing re-seat procedure?

Post by CYBORG »

i don't have a reference for the procedure , should be in the manual. but torquing it down then backing it off and re- tightening until the front wheel will just fall to the stop from the center position when allowed to fall on its own
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

There is some in the Shop manual but I do not think it references over torquing. It does say cycle like ten times and recheck IIRC. Puffy75 used to have it spelled out on his site but I can not find it anymore. http://www.retrorideinfo.com/tipslist.html

The jist of Puffys procedure was to tighten to the point where it would fall to the stop but not fast enough to bounce off the stop.

Pretty sure mike Nixon has a setup on his site also http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... cking.html
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
drumgod
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by drumgod »

Thanks guys. That last link on motorcycleproject.com is exactly what I was looking for...
'81 GL1100
'77 GL1000
'76 CB550K
Earl43P
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Earl43P »

So glad I read this! Mine has that classic symptom, wobbly during decel.
KTM390A “Hootinanny”
04 ST1300 DDDD (Double darksided daily driver) Sold 4/2022
93 GL1500I Double darksided and SOLD 3/29/20.
99 Valkyrie IS, Fast Black Double Darksided
"Fishtailed, flipped and flung me, but wearing it well". Sold!
82 GL1100 retired DD, needs work.... Sold 3/3/17
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

So glad that earl43p is glad, that it made me read it and even though I have read it before, I hadn't caught this "Though you probably found the locknut jammed against the tensioning nut, that's not the correct way to install it. It should be close to the tensioning nut, but not jammed against it. Leave a little space -- about 0.020". Then bend the locktabs into the locknut to keep the two interlocked. The locknut's job is to isolate the torque of the bridge nut from the steering bearings. Reassemble the rest of the fork per the manual. If a test ride reveals that there is still a decel wobble, or the bike sways side to side like a rowboat (the bearings are too tight), readjust to higher or lower spec as needed. Ride safely." Too much speed reading.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi