rocker arm shaft swap

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

dl1000
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

rocker arm shaft swap

Post by dl1000 »

Hi all. The old gal is running better than ever, but it's ticking in the right head ( as best I can tell ).
I set the valve clearance and put in new exhaust donuts, didn't help. I read the shop talk post,
Old Fogey I think, on how to switch rocker arm shafts. In essence, put the intake shaft in the
exhaust side and vice-versa. Could this get rid of the tick? Bike has about 85K on it. Thanks
1978 GL1000.....KATE Daily ride

a very wise man once said nothing
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: rocker arm shaft swap

Post by Whiskerfish »

It could if there is any wear on the shafts. Basically it uses part of the shaft that were not used before by swapping them. Seriously avoid the desire to go tighter than spec to eliminate the tick as it will have detrimental effects.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Red2trike
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Red2trike »

Might want to check to see if some of the oil holes are "crudded up". Or the rocker hold downs need to be moved slightly as they maybe just touching the rockers or even reverse them as well. These are all things that happen with the GL1200's.... still useful on the earlier bikes.

RT2
lcallison
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by lcallison »

My 76 had the ticking noise when I first got it running in 05, and has had it ever since, even with different heads put on in 06. I don't know how many times I have adjust the timing. I also did the shaft reversal procedure. None of it has ever made any difference. It's the noisiest engine I've ever heard in a goldwing. But, it has always run great.
Larry
84 GL1200A
79 GL1000
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Red2trike wrote:snip............ Or the rocker hold downs need to be moved slightly as they maybe just touching the rockers or even reverse them as well. .

RT2
I'm not understanding this statement.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
dl1000
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dl1000 »

I had the rocker shafts out and checked them with a micrometer. Where the rocker arms sit was within .002" of the
unused part of the shaft, seems like thats ok, nearly like new. The oil holes were all clean also. I put in new exhaust
donuts, Walker brand from advance, but they seemed kind of chincy so I will put new OEMs in and inspect and clean
where they seat. It's going to bug me bad since I got the carbs and points and valve lash set right most all the
rattles and weird noises are gone. If I can't get rid of this ticking noise I may re-name it " Tickles ".
1978 GL1000.....KATE Daily ride

a very wise man once said nothing
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

a small amount of valve noise is not a problem. they are mechanical lifters and a little tick is better then to tight and quiet
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

Amen on the valve noise, when things are too quiet (too tight) exhaust valves burn up . Been the death of many air cooled VW's, valvetrain gets nice and quiet, exhaust valve burns off the head and drops into engine. The only time an exhaust valve ever gets to cool is when it contacts the cylinder head. Besides, I enjoy the light mechanical reminder as I cruise down the road, would sound just like an electric motor otherwise!
Todd Logan (Bugdaddy66)
"Never argue with a moron, they'll always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
1978 GL1000 Daily commuter (SOLD)
1981 XS650 Hot Rod play bike (SOLD)
2003 BMW F650CS (Wife Bike)
2009 BMW R1200RT
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

CYBORG wrote:a small amount of valve noise is not a problem. they are mechanical lifters and a little tick is better then to tight and quiet
I keep learning stuff every time I read a new thread. Keep the experience coming guys action1
1975 Gl1000