Rusty Fuel-Tank!

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

sunyammer1111
Brass Member
Brass Member

Rusty Fuel-Tank!

Post by sunyammer1111 »

Good evening!

The fueltank of my GL1 is a little bit rusty. I've grind it with Grinding-Pad. I have the rusty dust hoovered out und flushed with gasoline a few times.

Now a generally question:
Can the rusty dust damage the engine? The bigger rustgrains will be filtered by the fuel-filter!

What can I do?

Greets Jan anim-cheers1
El_Taco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Rusty Fuel-Tank!

Post by El_Taco »

So long as your tubes are flowing, your filter will catch the crud. Provided you have a good filter, that is. In all my experiences with crusty tanks, the fuel filter became a regular service item. Many times I had to stop on the road, remove my filter, plug it in backwards, and turn the fuel on to flush it out. (don't hook it up to the carb side when you do this)

It's not the end of the world, just a pain in the ass.
1978 GL1000
enrique dauner
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by enrique dauner »

I have now Randakk's new filter and is very easy to clear on a regular basis. Only 5 minuts.
GL1000 - 1977
sunyammer1111
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sunyammer1111 »

Thats correct. But the fine rust flows through the filter in the carbs und from the carbs in the engine. The fine rust works like fine abrasive in the bearings!?
Is it correct or I make me too much black thoughts? :D

Cheers!
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

The fine rust cannot be filtered out with any filter that will allow fuel to pass through and it WILL clog the idle passages.
This has nothing to do with bearings and everything to do with your carbs. This has been discussed many times and there's numerous threads here and discussion on Randakk's site too.
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

It's worth it to clean the tank, acid or electrolysis. It prevents rust in the idle passages and black thoughts in the cranial passages. I have one bike that needs it. It needs to have the carbs pulled every few thousand miles and there's crap in the idle passage every time. It's really fine rust, probably the "flash rust" that gets by the filter.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

+1 on the last few posts.

You must get that tank clean if you don't want your carbs to suffer. If you want do this right, you need to clean your tank properly or coat it. Is your tank still in the frame? If so, here's a tutorialon acid washing if the tank is in (or out) of the frame. This is a very fast an effective method of cleaning a tank that leaves no residue. You can also use vinegar however, it's slower and leaves a residue that must be cleaned. There are products you can buy that will also clean your tank.

I suggest that you do a search in the 'technical forum' here using the words 'tank cleaning' 'tank rust' 'rusty tank' etc. You'll come up with several threads with advice that will probably fit your needs.
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
sunyammer1111
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sunyammer1111 »

I mean the bearings in the engine. Crankshaft for example! Sorry my english is not so good! Damage through fine rust??

I mounted a new Honda Original-Filter!

The grind-pad had loosen the most of rust inside. I hoovered it und flushed with gasoline a few times! Now I keep the tank always full!
El_Taco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by El_Taco »

No, there's no way the crud from your fuel is going to end up in contact with the camshafts, bearings, or any other part of the engine other than the pilot jets in the carbs. You may find a little fine crud in the bowls, but I've always used the same filters on everything, and they can be found at most motorcycle shops. It's a clear, cone shaped filter with a sintered brass element. They do clog up, but they keep out the fine particulate matter that can cause you running issues.

I use them when I clean the carbs on Chinese ATVs and the like. Those have a positively microscopic pilot jet, so a super fine filter is a necessity.
sunyammer1111
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sunyammer1111 »

There is no significant dirt in the bowls, also the fuelpump is awesome clean!

Thanks for your help! Now I am a little bit becalmed! anim-cheers1

I love my GL1000 so much, its a great bike! dancr