Are my timing belt tensioner pulleys bad?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Ed Fleming
Brass Member
Brass Member

Are my timing belt tensioner pulleys bad?

Post by Ed Fleming »

I'm replacing my timing belts - the tensioner pulleys spin real easy, but I feel a very slight roughness/rumble coming through the bracket as I hold it. When I turn the tensioner so the pulley is facing upward and give it a spin, it doesn't spin as easily but the roughness isn't detectable anymore. What do you think - worn out or not? The bike has 49k miles on it and looks like the belts have been done before (although not sure on that). I kind of doubt the tensioners have been replaced before with that kind of mileage. An auto mechanic friend said if the pulleys spin fast and easy, they are worn out, that new ones dont.
Also, what is the best (and most economical) place to buy new pulleys?

Thanks!
scootsx2
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Are my timing belt tensioner pulleys bad?

Post by scootsx2 »

They should spin very smoothly with no detectable roughness or noise. Your mechanic friend is correct - new tensioner pulleys will spin more slowly (but very smoothly) than worn pulleys due to wear in the old pulleys and possibly the breakdown of the bearing lubricant. I replaced the tensioner pulleys when I brought my bike back to life.
1975 GL1000 Sidecar Outfit
1982 CX500-based Trident ex-Police Trike
2001 GL1800 MotorTrike
2006 Vespa LX150
1956 Francis-Barnett Falcon 74
195x Solex 1700
196x Solex 2200

St. Louis, MO

The dude abides.

Brothers of the Third Wheel - Gateway Chapter http://www.btw-trikers.org
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://www.vjmc.org
Francis-Barnett Owners Club http://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/
Antique Motorcycle Club of America http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/
Vintage Motor Cycle Club http://www.vmcc.net
British Motorcycle Charitable Trust http://www.bmct.org/
VeloSolex Club UK http://www.velosolexclubuk.com/
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Shoptalk. About the 3rd or 4th thing down on the left side is a link to a procedure to rebuild the tensioners. New are pretty spendy as I recall
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

Welcome from California and to the NGW. Please show your year of GL in your signature line so we know how to help you. Also, feel free to tell us something about yourself
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
Ed Fleming
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Ed Fleming »

Hi Placerville, Thanks for the welcome! I added that info to my signature line, a 1977 GL1000. It's my first Goldwing (so far), and I bought it this past November from a consignment dealer in New Hampshire. It had been sitting for 3-4 years, from what they said. I think I may have paid too much, but hopefully it will work out. I've had other bikes in the distant past, but stopped riding for various reasons until this past year. I do all my own work, mechanically etc, so I'm learning alot about the goldwing world. Thanks again!
79 GL1000
camplejeune
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by camplejeune »

If they are like what the Valkyrie uses they can be easily rebuilt for about $25 each. I have done one using a gates idler pulley as well as turned a fellow valk rider into a believer as he too did the same rebuild. I have 2,000 miles on my rebuilt unit with no problems to date.
todd54219
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by todd54219 »

Ed, you said you were not sure of the condition of the belts. If you dont know for sure how old they are, change them. These are interference engines and if the belt slips, you can hole a piston, bend valves, and all kinds of fun (expensive) things can happen.

CHANGE THE BELTS.

IMHO
Todd
Todd54219 - Common sense is not so common anymore
1976 Yellow GL1000
1966 White Honda CA95 (Baby Dream) under restoration - Done and sold
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

Rebuilding the tensioners on a 1000 is a bit of a project but as Whiskerfish mentions, new OEM are pricey at about $73 each.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

camplejeune wrote:If they are like what the Valkyrie uses they can be easily rebuilt for about $25 each. I have done one using a gates idler pulley as well as turned a fellow valk rider into a believer as he too did the same rebuild. I have 2,000 miles on my rebuilt unit with no problems to date.
I'm not sure how they compare to the Valk's... Do you have any pics, or possibly a link describing/showing the procedure?

Good wrenchin'
Todd
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
lcallison
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by lcallison »

The procedure to rebuild the tensioners is in Shop Talk. My b-i-l did his last year and the procedure works very well. His was a 78 engine in a 77 frame.
Larry
84 GL1200A
79 GL1000
camplejeune
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by camplejeune »

Track T 2411 wrote:
camplejeune wrote:If they are like what the Valkyrie uses they can be easily rebuilt for about $25 each. I have done one using a gates idler pulley as well as turned a fellow valk rider into a believer as he too did the same rebuild. I have 2,000 miles on my rebuilt unit with no problems to date.
I'm not sure how they compare to the Valk's... Do you have any pics, or possibly a link describing/showing the procedure?

Good wrenchin'
Todd
Google Goldwing-Rebuild the timing belt tensioner or gates T42015 idler pulley. The article is good for GL1000, 1100, 1200 and 1500's

let us know if you find it or not.
Attachments
This should be the picture of the tensioner that I rebuilt.
This should be the picture of the tensioner that I rebuilt.
100_0775 (600 x 450).jpg (45.76 KiB) Viewed 717 times
desmato
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by desmato »

Gates T42015 tensioner "bearing" and T274 belts. BOTH from RockAuto. Belts were $14ea. Bearings were $15 ea. I couldn't touch 'em locally for less than $25-30.

I just bought and completed 2 set of each, 1 for my '75 ('78 motor) and 1 for the neighbors '80. rebuild of tensioners was a joke when it came to difficulty. Took me all of 3-4 minutes each. granted, I have been a wrench my whole life and have a full shop at the house. I would say that anyone who can remove the covers and belts has more than enough skill to rebuild their own tensioners for $15 ea. and the new bearing is way better than the old stamped roller. I used tapered head grade 10.9 10mm bolts & flange nuts (ACE hdwr) which self centered in the hole though they stuck out about 3/32" on the back side. this didn't cause any problems on the '80 but the '78 motor had spacers that I ground a half moon out of to clear, (photo)

Todd
Attachments
bikes 4-21-13 008.jpg
bikes 4-21-13 008.jpg (73.69 KiB) Viewed 686 times
1975 GL1000
camplejeune
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by camplejeune »

That is exactly the same flat head bolt that I used from a hardware store. I did know about Rock auto when I ordered my bearings. They were on Amazon.com, bought two at $17 each with free shipping. Even with the hardware I was still around $20 for an $80+ part from the dealer. I know I bought one from them before looking into this rebuild. Not only do I have spare bearing but an OEM tensioner on hand. You are so right about this bearing being so much better than OEM.