Adding some horses...

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Slick
Zinc Member
Zinc Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingma ... 77+GL1000/

Adding some horses...

Post by Slick »

hey guys...

Im curious about if anyone has found ways to add some extra horsepower to a gl1000...Ive done a couple things, but Im just tryin to think of anything else... I have a smaller tire (16 inch) on the rear..I have opened up the air box and have a k&n filter so shell breathe better..I have pipes that help too...Any other ideas?

thanks!
Slick
Rubber Side Down...
Shinny Side Up...

Re: Adding some horses...

Post by CYBORG »

early cams and electronic ignition
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

and hot coils ofcourse
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
Hal
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Hal »

TurboWing03.jpg
TurboWing03.jpg (217.08 KiB) Viewed 297 times
This will do the trick...... :mrgreen:
"The Moving Finger writes, and having writ, moves on,
nor all your Piety nor Wit
can lure it back to cancel half a line...

so....probably best use Tipp-Ex in future?"

1977 GL1000 in bits
1978 SR 500 Yam
1995 Harley Sportster/Buell street-tracker
1992 Grinnall Scorpion SC3 prototype
2002 Caterham SV 220 Evo (4 wheeled motorcycle) :mrgreen:

Hal's Nalbum
Slick
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Slick »

Ahh...I forgot...its a 77 so she already has early cams...I've got dyna coils and ignition...and 1100 carbs too...

And Hal.....um..turbo much?? Is that yours or just found it out there? That's sweet...
Rubber Side Down...
Shinny Side Up...
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

How much you want to add? All the time power, or just sometimes power? As Hal pointed out, a turbo will help, so will a supercharger, and a shot of Nitrous will do as well.

All things above will require a bit of engine work to sustain life.

If you just want to get up and go quicker, you can also look for gear sets for the rear end to give a higher ratio.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Slick wrote:snip............I have opened up the air box and have a k&n filter so shell breathe better..I have pipes that help too...Any other ideas?

thanks!
Slick
Doing this alone won't help. It actually may hurt performance. If you get the engine to breath better you also need to play with the carb jetting to get full use of it. Even then you'll probably never feel the difference. Maybe add 3 HP.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

Horses aren't cheap. A GEM rear gearset can make a difference too (hard to find though).
I've got more money tied up in my extra horses and final drive than in the rest of the build. (Money well spent from where I'm sitting.) I have to believe that's true for anybody to get over 75 at the wheel.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Greg
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Greg »

You can go the route gregf took,or supercharge it as did randakk .But if you want to stay within Honda's realm there are not many things you can do like after market cams and pistons. And if you can find someone to grind you a more radical cam than what you have it wont do you any good unless you can find someone to match the cam with a set of pistons.. So you are pretty much limited to lower gear ratio rear end ,and carbs from a 75 .You already have the hottest cam,Dyna coils, and electronic ignition .
75 GL1000
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

The biggest thing with HP is how much are you willing to spend. It is possible to take a stock engine and gain 10-15%. Maybe more. But it is very time consuming and labor intensive.

Custom grind cams can be found/made. That will work fine with stock pistons. If done correctly.

One of the big issues with the heads on an early GL are the heads. The ports are already too big. Hard to work them over and still have any velocity. And you don't want to turn the kind of RPM that the ports would benefit.

The easiest/cheapest HP gain is with nitrous. But there is more to it than just bolting on a kit and hitting the button. If you want the engine to live.

Like the old saying goes, and what I tell my race customers. "How fast do you want to go?" The next question is how many 100 bills do you have on you to start with? ;)

One other thing. On the street torque is much more important the horse power. Especially on a bike/rider combo over 750-800lbs. So now you start all over. :roll:
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

But if you hang around the right gin mill someone might walk up and say " That your white wing out there? I got a sidecar gearset for that." And that's why it's better to be lucky than good.

I'd still like to see somebody get a good FI setup going. Webers are real good but a dedicated FI setup would be the ritz for naturally aspirated ponies.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Slick
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Slick »

Will I be able to tell anything with how my plugs are burning? They've always been a good tan..never too rich or lean..
As for the rear end gear set...would it be as simple as swapping a 1100 differential for the 1000?
I've also heard of big bore kits for the old GLs?
Rubber Side Down...
Shinny Side Up...
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Yes, plugs can tell you a lot. But they need to be checked at various rpm.
Try finding a big bore kit. Like the rear gear sets. They may have been made but finding them now is very difficult.

Like I said, how much do you want to spend? And how much do you expect to gain? Be realistic in answering those two guestions.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

gregforesi wrote:But if you hang around the right gin mill someone might walk up and say " That your white wing out there? I got a sidecar gearset for that." And that's why it's better to be lucky than good.

I'd still like to see somebody get a good FI setup going. Webers are real good but a dedicated FI setup would be the ritz for naturally aspirated ponies.
Itd cost about $700 for a pair but there is a company that makes throttle body replacements for the weber idfs, those coupled with randakk's manifolds $300 would probably be as close to "bolt on" as you can get. Of course then youd have to add in the related stuff to make them work (ecu, injectors, etc). Itd probably round out about $2k definitely not a budget build, but that circles back to how much you want to spend.

Im still looking into it but doubt itll work for my turbo build, would probably be great for someone staying NA.
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

always a good topic for conversation, but for the cost of doing a serious horse power gain you could buy a bike that is already faster. and even if you decided to build a wing engine with all the go fast stuff on it, the frame would be a weak link. and then you would have to deal with the brakes to pull you down from these fantastic speeds, and all this horsepower. so why not start out by installing an 1800 wing engine in the 1000 frame, with a busa front end and brakes, and a gem rearend set. 16" rear wheel modified to take a 200 tire, tuned exhaust, and a little nitrous. please post pictures as you progress
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200