Steering Head Bearing Replacement

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steering Head Bearing Replacement

Post by delling3 »

I have seen the "All-Balls" steering head bearings kits for the early wings with loose ball bearings. These kits include tapered roller bearings. Seems to me to be a superior choice. I am going to tear apart my front end, and unless someone tells me why I shouldn't, I am planning to install these. That said, can the stock races be drifted out (top and bottom) with a wood down and hammer? I know on the Honda CB-F models (the DOHC ones, anyway), that you need a special tool to remove one of the races.

Thanks!

delling3
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
CYBORG

Re: Steering Head Bearing Replacement

Post by CYBORG »

i seem to recall you needing a slide hammer on the bottom one, some people just cut it with a small grinder and it drops out. this is from a memory that's not real god as of late. someone may correct me shortly
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Greg
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Greg »

What year are we talking about? Mid 76 I believe was the beginning with tapper bearings.
Much easier in my opinion to go back with balls if that’s what you have than to convert to tappers. From what I read hear and elsewhere it’s not as a simple swap as one might think. And as far as durability, well the new wings went back to balls. So, the jury is still out……..
If the steering head has upper and lower races designed to take balls, then the only thing you need is a long drift to knock them out as they afford you a wide ledge to rest the drift on ..
Either way ,good luck.
75 GL1000
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

Mine is a 1976 model. According the to the VIN plate it was built in 11/75. According to my Clymer manual, the tapered balls did not appear until later, but Clymer isn't the be-all/end-all in accuracy I know.

Thanks

delling3
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:

roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

There were lots of changes through the 76 production run. According to the parts list, 1976 serial number 2040166 and up had the tapered bearings. If you haven't looked yet, there are 3 possible scenarios...

1. You find loose ball bearings.
2. A P.O. has already converted from the balls to the tapered bearings.
3. It had the tapered bearings as OEM.

My 76 has balls and my 78 has tapered bearings. Honestly, I can't feel a difference.

**NOTE** The roller bearings to replace the balls are NOT the same size as the roller bearings used on later models. The neck on the frame is a different diameter.
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

ole496
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ole496 »

Put your new tapered bearings in the freezer overnight. Take out each part one at a time when you're ready to drive in the cups and races make it a quick installation. I had the same situation with my 76, early frame year so I had to get the kit 22-1011.

Here's a couple links to look at...

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... g&start=30

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =+bearings

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32702
1976 GL1000 "Double Nature" https://youtu.be/IK0YS2uuZtc
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. -Thomas Edison
Dangeruss

Post by Dangeruss »

delling3 wrote:That said, can the stock races be drifted out (top and bottom) with a wood dowel and hammer?
The short answer is yes they can be drifted out, but I had to make a tool out of a long screwdriver with a special grind on the tip to get it to work. It is just barely possible, and will take time, patience and more time. The tapered bearings are a worthwhile upgrade IMHO.
Russ
2016 K1600GT
75 GL1000 Project

States visited by Goldwing...
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

The neck on the '78 has reliefs behind the bearing cups so a properly sized plate with a tapped hole in the middle can be slid in and the cup can be pulled out. I don't know if that's true on the earlier models but it's worth a look.

Some of the 76's were odd models. Top bearing was the old style and the lower bearing was the new style (or vice-versa). Anyway, for those particular bikes the all-balls kit won't exactly work. When you disassemble the steering neck you will see what you have. If it's one of the goofy ones - I'd go back to stock. They lasted a good long time.

The all-balls kit sometimes requires a modification to the upper bearing retainer. Members have just shipped them to all-balls and they did the mod there. I think it requires a bit of lathe work.

I wish I had one of these bearing splitters when I pulled the lower bearing race off the stem (auto parts stores carry them). That was the single most difficult job of my build. The bearing was winning for a long time until I pulled it out there at the end.
Bearing Splitter.jpg
Bearing Splitter.jpg (19.32 KiB) Viewed 391 times
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
ole496
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ole496 »

Here's a question for everyone. I replaced my steering head bearings in my 76 this past summer. My frame number is one of the early models and I had the original ball bearings. I used the all balls kit and it seems fine to me but the upper bearings did stick up a bit above the neck line of the frame. I understand from reading all the other threads when I did my bearings that machining the upper race or something to that effect was necessary. I did not have this done and it seemed to go together ok for me.

What I haven't seen yet and would like to, is a picture showing the work performed by the allballs factory to machine the nut. Also, I'd like to see what the bearings installed in the neck is supposed to look like after the machine work has been performed. In other words I think we need to have something to compare it to. I'd also love to see this issue put into the how-to section once and for all. It seems this keeps coming up all the time. Can anyone post pics in this thread? I know I searched all over for pics of that and I'm still not even sure if my bearings were installed correctly. They seem to be fine but I'm yet to ride my bike after the install.
1976 GL1000 "Double Nature" https://youtu.be/IK0YS2uuZtc
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. -Thomas Edison
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

It was Vapor_Trail that sent the piece back to All-Balls. I think they take 2mm off a flange on the underside of the bearing retainer but I'm not exactly sure on that. As I recall it was convered in the instructions he received with the kit. His was one of the '76 "transition" bikes. Tapered roller on one end and the old ball bearing on the other.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I used a tire spoon which had a 90 degree bend on one end to remove the bottom race. Honda left a recess just enough for this on the top edge of the race. It just took repeated raps moving it around the race. i think you could make one quite easily. I have a 77 with tapered on the top and balls on the bottom. My other 77 was the same way. I just did this a month ago. The freezer helps. When I do the other bike, I'm going to try the weld-a-bead method on the lower race.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
backyardbob
High Mileage Guru

Post by backyardbob »

my 77 has a build date of dec 76, it has tapered bearings. about 20 years ago It had developed a notch in the centre position so I decided to change them, they came out ok with a punch. the bottom was a readily available size from the local bearing supply store, but the top was a "weird" size which was not available except from mh. since the notch was on the back surface of the race I rotated it 180 degrees and put it pack in, so there was a new surface to take the load. it solved the problem and I'm still running the original top bearing.
i finally made it past the junkyard dogs!!
KYWinger
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by KYWinger »

:?: :?: :?: Question - I have an '83 Aspy w/41K miles. No problems detected with steering head bearings --- should I leave it be OR replace with an All Balls kit? Any advantages to doing the upgrade? Is there a noticeable increase i steering sharpness or any other metric that makes it worth the time and effort to upgrade?
....jes' wonderin' ......
-John-

FTCS (SS) USN Ret.
'83 Aspencade
GWRRA KY- 'G'
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Steering head and swing arm, I am not doing till I got' too lolol

IMHO.
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

If it ain't broke, why fix it? Actually, in my case I need to take the steering head apart anyway. My rule of thumb on things like bearings is if your taking it apart anyway, why not make sure that these wear items are renewed. If I wasn't planning on taking it apart, and I wasn't having problems, I would say leave it alone. YMMV!

delling3
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous: