clutch cable replacement question - gl1000

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

billm
Brass Member
Brass Member

clutch cable replacement question - gl1000

Post by billm »

I replaced my broken cable today with Parts Unlimited #K28-5525 which is supposed to be the correct replacement. When doing the final adjustments I have both the lever barrel adjuster and the lower adjuster screwed all the way out to where they no longer engage and I still don't have enough pull on the lever to do anything.
Am I doing something wrong, or is the cable manufactured too long? It's like I'd need a barrel adjustment screw that would be an inch longer.

The cable ends are seated in the keepers, first thing I checked.
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Re: clutch cable replacement question - gl1000

Post by gregforesi »

I think you have too much stick-out.
On your old cable (if it's broken you have to come up with a fudge factor) - with the barrell of the top end tight against the top ferrule, measure the distance from the end of the lower adjustor to the centerline of the lower barrell. That is the amount of stick-out that your new one should have. Measure the new one. They should be within 1/8" of each other so you have enough adjustment.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
billm
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by billm »

So before I pull the new cable back out, are you in agreement that with the situation as described I have a cable that is too long or that I've incorrectly adjusted it? I'm resisting pulling it out again because it was such a pain to route it, even with the string method so I want to be sure I have not done the adjustments incorrectly. If I'm all the way out on both the top and the bottom adjusters, is it safe to assume the cable itself is incorrect?

Thanks.
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

There's a third adjustment, under the cover held on by two screws when removed reveals a screw & locknut. Have you played with the adjustment there?
It's been awhile since I've had to mess with clutch adjustment but as best that I can remember, once the locknut is loosened the screw should be turned in until just before contact with the part that disengages the clutch. This is done with the other adjustment screws turned in for the most part.
As I recall that screw/locknut should be done first, then the screws at the bottom and top of the cable adjusted.
Hope that makes sense and helps you out.
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
billm
Brass Member
Brass Member

It looks like I've found the problem(s)

Post by billm »

the cable housings are the same length but the cable itself is 3/4" longer on the new one - explains my adjustment problem plus this

The shaft on the new one is messed up. The ring is pushed way up allowing the shaft to extend into the clutch lifter area - another reason it wouldn't adjust properly.

It looks like I got a used cable sold to me as new. The problem is that I've had the cable for 5 months or so and I don't remember who I bought it from, nor do I have the receipt. I ordered a Honda cable which will be here in a week or so.

Thanks for pitching in and trying to help.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

i think you have indeed found the problem. you might be able to slide that ring back where it belongs and braze or solder it
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
billm
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by billm »

I already ordered a new one so I'll just keep this one around for a spare. Funny thing, as I was adjusting the tension, I would try the lever and it would feel like it had some tension and then it would go slack. I didn't think about what was happening, I just kept moving the adjusters out. Now I realize that it was going slack because the shaft was being pulled into the hole.

It always seems like it's something. That's why I don't look forward to having to do repairs.