Neutral switch revisited

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Kimigayo
Brass Member
Brass Member

Neutral switch revisited

Post by Kimigayo »

in front of me is a new "neutral switch" (thx westernhonda) and the 2008 excellent drivers manual (moderated by whiskerfish) on how to change this bugger out. since i already pulled the tank, how hard could this be? first i cut the wire to the neutral switch, no more green, therefore the switch is not neutral, its dead. here's the weird. when i went to restart at the gas robbery, no green light (yup, tranny in neutral) and no engine turn over. i pulled in the clutch, no turn over. i thought it should work, but has the previous owner done something nasty? turned out it was a cold solder joint, i did not have to walk. as for the oil trap, short of 2# of C4 it ain't moving. i spread the frame about 3/8" and was able to get that nasty switch out!!! i really didn't want to see the screen, i might have "B" plate decay (on no!!!) anyway, should the engine have turned over w/ the cluth in or is there something i can check, mischief or age causes??? if your neutral light stays on, consider another bike or cover the light w/ duct tape (arkansas chrome to y'all)....as usual, thx all....
Halfnaked
Run Executive
Run Executive

Re: Neutral switch revisited

Post by Halfnaked »

The beauty of the neutral switch failure is that the light gets just a little brighter when in neutral. Watching for that difference (except in direct sunlight) is one way to cope with the issue. There has got to be a way to clean that switch in vivo without shocking it. Maybe a long tube with some carb cleaner aimed right at the switch?
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound. --Anonymous

Current: '81 GL1100 (Completely naked!), '97 TRX300FW(4X4),'96 TRX300FW(4X4)
Past: '76 GL1000, '77 GL1000, '78 GL1000, '79 GL1000, '79 GL1000(Fairing),'82 GL1100I, '86 GL1200, '94 GL1500A,'76 GL1000 LTD, '82 GL1100I (halfnaked), '00 GL1500C ( the Ultimate Naked Goldwing), '80 GL1100 (with a full set of Craig Vetter stuff)
Kimigayo
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: Neutral switch revisited

Post by Kimigayo »

I have read about so many ways to clean them...majority seems to be since it is such a PITA to remove, spend the $40 and put in a new one...seems like good advice....