Water pump rebuild

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Water pump rebuild

Post by ericheath »

I have the weep hole drip on my 77 and 83, so it's time to do a couple changes. In looking through Roady's how-to in Shoptalk, I notice there is a seal behind the transmission case that should be replaced? Looking through parts list at Western Honda, it doesn't show the seal. Is this needed, and if so, perhaps its located in the block parts list? Any help appreciated. I guess I may as well do the other preventative items while I'm there. Anyone have any suggestions as to what else I should do? Thanks in advance.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
alwing17
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

Re: Water pump rebuild

Post by alwing17 »

You have to look up the oil pump on the fiche...Honda calls it an O-ring pn# 91316-425-003. That number MAY be supersceded,the search function on Honda's fiche will tell you.
1975 GL 1000 "Street Fighter"
1976 GL 1000 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
1976 GL 1000 Sulfur Yellow x2
1981 GL 1100 "Crown Royal"
1997 GL 1500 Pearl Sapphire Black
1977 GL1000 Cirrius Blue
1977 GL 1000 Skidmark build
1976 GL 1000 Limited
2003 ST 1300 Silver Streak
(And those are just the Gold Wings! With an exception..)
Team 898...25%er...*Beverages Consumed
Team LTD...1/6th'er...* Even more beverages consumed
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

Make it easy on yourself and by a couple of these kits. They have everything you'll need for a pump replacement and they'll work fine. For the best price on your new pumps, go here. In addition to Roady's info., I suggest you also read Randakks tutorial.
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Thanks, Placer and Alwing. That's just the ticket. As to the seal, I looked up at Westernhonda.com, the oil pump for a 77 and see a seal #23 in the diagram that looks to be the one as in Roady's rebuild. It is: OIL SEAL (10X25X7)
91207-580-003 (replaces 91207-580-015)

Can anyone verify that this is the one and that it doesn't come in the water pump kit? Thanks again.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Last one I did for a 1000 had extra seals. I think they were for the 1100 variety. Pretty sure Octane addresses the issue in his how too.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

ericheath wrote:Thanks, Placer and Alwing. That's just the ticket. As to the seal, I looked up at Westernhonda.com, the oil pump for a 77 and see a seal #23 in the diagram that looks to be the one as in Roady's rebuild. It is: OIL SEAL (10X25X7)
91207-580-003 (replaces 91207-580-015)

Can anyone verify that this is the one and that it doesn't come in the water pump kit? Thanks again.
That seal, and every other seal, O ring and gasket you'll need, are all included in the kit I mentioned above.

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

The Ebay kit says in the description, "mechanical seal not included." I assume this is the one in Roady's post. I cannot seem to copy his photo to tag here.

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 44#p138444

Seems like I should do this one as well when I do it. It's only three dollars or so and Octane and others reference getting it from a standard seal carrier.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

ericheath wrote:The Ebay kit says in the description, "mechanical seal not included." I assume this is the one in Roady's post. I cannot seem to copy his photo to tag here.

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 44#p138444

Seems like I should do this one as well when I do it. It's only three dollars or so and Octane and others reference getting it from a standard seal carrier.
This KP kit (first picture below) is from the eBay posting I indicated above. The mechanical seal is clearly visible in the package (center, left, below the little bag of washers). All of the KP pump kits come with the mechanical seal. Contact 'georgefix', the seller of this item, and ask him why he's stating 'MECHANICAL SEAL NOT INCLUDED' as that doesn't make sense. He's a reputable dealer and he will clarify this statement.

If you need further reinforcement, below is the same kit being sold by SCI. Note that the kits are identical and the mechanical seal is there as well. If you want to buy the kit from them, go here.

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Good advice, I'll shoot them a question. Having not done this, I couldn't tell if that was the seal or not. It looked smaller than Roady's pics.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Pretty quick response from George, he said, "Nope, no seal."
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces