Carb Kits - A Discussion

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: Carb Kits - A Discussion

Post by robin1731 »

Jeremy91 wrote:Ok, I am a new at the motorcycle and building a naked goldwing but I am moderately mechanically inclined and I believe my bike would benefit a lot by rebuilding the carbs. My caution on rebuilding my own carbs is having all the right parts which seems to require multiple kits to acquire all the necessary parts. I am looking for advice from the more experienced guys here and see if carbs are something I should just let the experts handle or tackle myself. Not sure how much a professional charges to do carbs vs. buying all the kits and from what I have read a decent sized sonic cleaner and doing it myself this winter.

You don't need multiple kits. Unless you have multiple bikes. Randakks kits have all the rubber O-rings and gaskets you need. The only brass you might possibly need are needle and seat assemblies. Go with OEM there. But even those are not usually bad. I have run in to a few but I do a lot of carbs. Jets, unless they are really mangled can be reused many times.

Buy Randakks video with the carb kit's and watch it. A few times. Then go to work on the carbs.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
todd54219
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by todd54219 »

+1 on what Robin said. Buy the video and watch it. There are a lot of guys who think they know how to rebuild carbs. They might know but more than likely, they do not know. They pick up quite a few bad habits over the years and when they have problems they will not admit they made a mistake and cannot get the bike to run right. My first auto shop teacher in high school, early 70's, said he preferred girls to teach auto mechanics. Girls are a clean slate. They know nothing and are willing to learn the right way. Guys, on the other hand, had to un-learn all the wrong ideas and then learn the correct ways. Some would learn, some not. I believe the carb rebuild issue runs along these same lines. Guys do not want to admit they do not know the correct way and will do it wrong over and over and blame something else. The carbs on these bikes are not a holley, carter or Rochester. They are different and the ports are very small.

Buy the video and his carb kit. It comes with everything you need, except the jets, and has no extra parts. Well worth the money and time spent.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
Todd
Todd54219 - Common sense is not so common anymore
1976 Yellow GL1000
1966 White Honda CA95 (Baby Dream) under restoration - Done and sold
Jeremy91
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Jeremy91 »

Thank you guys for the advice. I think I will attempt to concur these carbs. lol. It will be a winter project. The bike is a little ways from being on the road at this point but hopefully soon. It has been sitting for a long time but it runs. Waiting patiently on shipping almost daily. Will keep you all posted.