Carb Kits - A Discussion

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Carb Kits - A Discussion

Post by Rat »

Pete's REALLY good at it.

Gord action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Gord?....Just Gord??? I don't think I've seen that signature yet. Surely it was Gord, "I was in a big hurry and forgot," Jones.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Whoops, wrong Gord.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

hmmmm...... I thought it was the right one :P :P :P :P
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

It's bad when you read this site to see what different sig he has.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Gord (I snuck on at work) Jones.

Now get back to carb kits willya.
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

work?????? gord works?????? :twisted:
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Great comparo! Been working on something like this myself, as of course did Randall. I hope you don't mind if I make a couple comments, beginning with links to relevant articles on my website. It is my picture of the peeling float needle, just for reference. :-) Oh, and you'll want to use Firefox to view any of the articles linked below.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... ers_v2.swf
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... _paper.swf
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... ork_v3.swf
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... air_v5.swf

First, I always gauge jets. I do this whether the jets are new or used, OEM or aftermarket, because they vary, even from Honda. Some will be undersize, some over, and sometimes someone before I got the carbs did some drilling or other nonsense. Also, the sync adjuster screw ("linkage adjuster screw" in your article) that comes in one or two kits is quite valuable and useful. I have bought kits just to get that part! The "hat" you are referring to at the top of the secondary main emulsion tube is of course the needle jet. As I used to tell my students, just focus on the last word in the name to remember what it is and to tell it apart from the similarly-named jet needle. The NJ comes from Honda only with the jet needle (JN), which is fitting as they constitute a circuit together. Finally, as you have pointed out, the big problem with aftermarket kits is the metal parts. You rarely need them so you are paying for them needlessly, they are made of inferior materials compared with stock (Honda went to beryllium JN and stainless steel NJ in 1978 on all Keihin carbs, prior to that they used brass -- and Dynojet stuff started out made of aluminum!), they are sized incorrectly, leading to performance issues, and of course they wear quickly. The worst part of all is that countless people throw the stock JN and NJ away, parts worth their weight in gold now that you can get them only by cannabalizing a set of carbs, and this in my mind is next to criminal. That such parts should get so much press when their results are so consequential. Thanks for letting me comment. :-)

Mike Nixon
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

always good to hear from you. and very informative. thankyou
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
KYpondman
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by KYpondman »

Thanks Mike, great info!
Claude
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is Weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

RETIRED and LOVING It!!! anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Standard (gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
84 GL1200 standard with Hondaline bags.
84 GL1200 dressed naked with everything to return to naked.(gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
appiebroomer
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by appiebroomer »

Wished I saw this post before I bought the Saber cycle kits, these kits are poor quality. What I needed was just the o rings and soft parts, but you can't use Sabre's o rings on the OEM jets. You can only use them on the jets supplied in the kits, and the jets in the kits are not stamped with the size on the jet. I should have purchased the Randakk's kit or the Honda kit.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

appiebroomer wrote:Wished I saw this post before I bought the Saber cycle kits, these kits are poor quality. What I needed was just the o rings and soft parts, but you can't use Sabre's o rings on the OEM jets. You can only use them on the jets supplied in the kits, and the jets in the kits are not stamped with the size on the jet. I should have purchased the Randakk's kit or the Honda kit.

I even stay away from the Honda kits. One area where OEM is not the way to go. At least for the rubber parts.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Jeremy91
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Jeremy91 »

Ok, I am a new at the motorcycle and building a naked goldwing but I am moderately mechanically inclined and I believe my bike would benefit a lot by rebuilding the carbs. My caution on rebuilding my own carbs is having all the right parts which seems to require multiple kits to acquire all the necessary parts. I am looking for advice from the more experienced guys here and see if carbs are something I should just let the experts handle or tackle myself. Not sure how much a professional charges to do carbs vs. buying all the kits and from what I have read a decent sized sonic cleaner and doing it myself this winter.
appiebroomer
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by appiebroomer »

Jeremy91 wrote:Ok, I am a new at the motorcycle and building a naked goldwing but I am moderately mechanically inclined and I believe my bike would benefit a lot by rebuilding the carbs. My caution on rebuilding my own carbs is having all the right parts which seems to require multiple kits to acquire all the necessary parts. I am looking for advice from the more experienced guys here and see if carbs are something I should just let the experts handle or tackle myself. Not sure how much a professional charges to do carbs vs. buying all the kits and from what I have read a decent sized sonic cleaner and doing it myself this winter.
Buy the Randakks kits and do it your self, way more fun.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

PistolPete charges around $400 for a set. Randakk kit, and they are synced on a running motor before being returned. I've done my own. First time I was a rookie and those carbs are now junk. When you figure all the potential pitfalls $400 or $450 is pretty decent. If you get Randakks kit, and your carbs are in decent shape, and if they have original brass, you will have a good set. There is a good write up in Shoptalk to read first.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces