Is This a Sin? (a windshield)

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

I love the look of Roady's windshield.

Though I've heard it before, I don't really get the point of looking over the windshield. Sure, thinking of the airflow and such I can imagine it passing over my head but then again, I prefer to look through the windshield and keep the top out of my line of sight.

I can also see where there might be distortions looking through the windshield, however, I wear no line bifocals and when I first got them, there was distortions to deal with. I was told that I'd get used to them and I did. What ever distortions I get looking through my windshield cause me no problem at all and maybe for the same reason.

Has anyone got any other views (no pun intended) on this?
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

The angle is great. If interested, send me a good drawing with measurements and I'll see if I can't burn out a polished aluminum bracket for ya.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Interested ... yes.

But the bracket is welded to the windshield's frame. I guess I could cut it off, drill a couple holes in the remainder and bolt the aluminum ones on.

I'll kick that around with "Ironman" at work and get some feedback.

I've always liked the look of your shield too, Roadkill. Thanks. As far as taller shields go ... I like the wind hitting me full in the face but do not like it buffeting my body. Wearing glasses and a helmet shield is also enough layers for me to look through.
Gary1945
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Gary1945 »

Gotcha!,have a great day. :-D
Gary Andrews Sr. 1981 GL1100 Standard
1CrazyMoFo
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 1CrazyMoFo »

Roady....whatever keeps ya on the road.
We're all different, different ages, shapes, heights, colors, etc. etc. hippie babble.

The young man in me says windshields aren't cool, but the old man thinks comfort. I'm still thinking cut down bat wing thingy for myself due to wind fatigue.

But if lengthens the time you can stay in the saddle great!!!
Nice job, now if we can come up with a cup holder that doesn't look like a cup holder?
Peace,
Frank
The truth about Ape Hangers, yes they are very slimming.
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

The windsheld kind of give it a fifties flair to me. When I was a kid the first big Harleys I saw had those plastic windshields.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
cyclepsycho
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by cyclepsycho »

All my road bikes have a windshield on them.
That's just how I like them.

By the way, I liked your abandon gas station picture. Here's mine from last year:

Yeah, I know, it's not a Goldwing. It's my Guzzi. Here's the windshield on my wing:
idlED

Post by idlED »

beautiful job looks great I wouldn't kick her out just because she wears glasses 8)
Victour
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member
My Album: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/570131144RgmY

Post by Victour »

I am sure it can be done now.... I have a new blue tint FJR1300 windshield.. I am going to fit it to my wing and hope it looks as good as yours...
1978 Gl1000 LTD

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/570131144RgmYiK
TomE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/TomE/

Post by TomE »

RR,

About the short vs tall windshield, I keep my windshield well under my line of sight because of a bad experience one dark and stormy night, in rush hour traffic.

Can you imagine how I felt that night as my windshield fogged up? It was raining hard, it was as dark as a dirty December night gets, and the only light was from the tail and headlights around me. The windshield was already hard to see through because of the rain, and then it fogged up!

I was busier than a one armed paper hanger, wiping my windshield, face shield, and glasses and then starting over again. Oh yea, and shifting once and a while.

I just decided that on a vehicle with no wipers or defroster, I didn't need to be looking through the windshield!
TomE
Big Red, a '75 Wing
Black Beauty, a '99 Valkyrie
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

TomE wrote:RR, About the short vs tall windshield, I keep my windshield well under my line of sight because of a bad experience one dark and stormy night, in rush hour traffic.!
I experienced similiar weather once while about 5 miles from my home driving my truck. I went through a cold front (I guess) and the windshield fogged up instantly. Wipers helped but still didn't quite do the job.

Good reasoning on your part though. I've got my windshield height where if I straighten up I can see over it, otherwise I'm looking through it. It might be hard to believe but it took a lot of adjustment to get that just right.

I was originally planning remove it for the warmer weather but after my 10,000 bug incident I've decided to keep it in place. :)
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
Kwixdraw
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Naked question -

Post by Kwixdraw »

I think you question is answered about whether it is OK to put a windshield on you Wing and it still be Nekked. :-?
See Bike of the Month for May. :oops:
81 Naked resto/custom - INFERNO Cruiser ....complete frame up restore -DONE, BOTM July 2011
Newly aquired 84 std. Nekked
2008 Honda ST1300 - Gives the freedom to ride anywhere in the world without worry,
77 bagger, been garaged and sitting since 1985, Work in progress
Kwixdraw
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

short vs tall windshield

Post by Kwixdraw »

TomE wrote:
RR, About the short vs tall windshield, I keep my windshield well under my line of sight because of a bad experience one dark and stormy night, in rush hour traffic.!

I am 6ft3in with a 32in inseam..... I cant get a windshield tall enough that I cant see over. :x
I am thinking about taking a inch or two out of the foam in the seat to lower my vision height so I will get a lot less buffetting on the helmet.
81 Naked resto/custom - INFERNO Cruiser ....complete frame up restore -DONE, BOTM July 2011
Newly aquired 84 std. Nekked
2008 Honda ST1300 - Gives the freedom to ride anywhere in the world without worry,
77 bagger, been garaged and sitting since 1985, Work in progress
Victour
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member
My Album: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/570131144RgmY

Post by Victour »

My first shield was the cafe style., I quickly learned to like it a lot.. the brunt of the wind was not on my chest anymore and I could ride without getting as tired.. I run Naked for a few years after that.. But after I got my FJR with the electric height adjustment.. I could adjust it up to where my helmet would stop blowing around and I was still looking over it.. as someone was showing the shield should never be straight up.. unless it is a Jeep Wrangler (got terrible gas mileage) If the shield is at the same angle as the forks.. it will direct the air over your head if installed at the correct angle and height. sometimes to have to move it 3 or more times to get it right.
1978 Gl1000 LTD

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/570131144RgmYiK