Is This a Sin? (a windshield)

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

biggyfries
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Is This a Sin? (a windshield)

Post by biggyfries »

Its no sin to have the wind off your trunk of your body at 70mph. I have some semi high handlebars that cause me to sit bolt upright--which is fine around town, but when you go more than about 10 miles on the hiway you start to realize the wind is constantly pushing you backward, and a small W/S will fix that.
I have a slipstreamer universal w/s that I am adapting to my '77 GW and will have it on soon. It will be quick release-able so you can remove it in a few minutes. That is an acceptable compromise for a 'Naked Goldwing' in my book. Pictures to follow.
'79 GL1000
'16 KLR650 Blackie
'02 KLR650 Eyesore
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

Nice day today and a chance to get some pics. The new windshield is wide and tall to keep the wind and rain pushed away.

By ritalz at 2010-10-23

By ritalz at 2010-10-23

By ritalz at 2010-10-23

Here is the blade I used. 36 tpi and it caused very little vibration while cutting.

By ritalz at 2010-10-23
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I use a low rpm router with a pattern cutting bit to follow a template. You can play with a piece of plywood or temper board and get what you want, and then cut it to what you want. At a low speed with a carbide blade it was really slick. You don't have to worry about the vibrations of a jig saw.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
biggyfries
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by biggyfries »

Here's my lightweight W/S I just put on this evening. I say it is no sin to have wind reduced when out on the hiway at higher speeds. It is easily removeable, so how can it not be a good thing?
Attachments
GW ws 001.JPG
GW ws 001.JPG (79.06 KiB) Viewed 312 times
'79 GL1000
'16 KLR650 Blackie
'02 KLR650 Eyesore
ifm61
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by ifm61 »

i'm a new member, so that means there's a period of grace when i can suffer from foot in mouth disease, right? let's test that theory... my first naked goldie, my first road/test trip, and my head gets buffeted like i'm trying MMA on amateur night. home to my old friend 'google.' i end up purchasing a 'universal' 7" headlight fitting EMGO bikini fairing/nose cone, which looks the part, but also gives me the impression i'll have to lose or remount the original indicators... anyone else tried this, but managed to keep it stock? at the insurance rate i got, i'm reluctant to jeopardize the 'collector plate' luxury...
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Not sure what an EMGO looks like, but yes sometimes you do have to relocate the front blinkers when fitting fairings or certain types of windscreens. To stop helmet buffeting you most likely will need to fit a windscreen that is high enough to defect the air over top of your head. Also playing with the angle can help tune the air flow for your height and riding position. Plus open face shorty style helmets are a bit more prone to to buffet than a full face design with the face shield in the down position, the later gives you a more aero-dyamic design. But the best way to get a smooth ride is a bigger style windshield. For short rides I like the open air feel, but going for hundred of miles at highway speeds in the open air can be hard on you. As a young man I did it, but not anymore, for long rides the windscreen always gets put on.
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper