That Sweet White Smoke

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

I here ya Stuka.
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

You guys are paying too much.

From Service Honda: Head Gasket, 4 Valve Stem seals, 2 Crossover tube O rings, 1 Coolant Elbow Gasket, 2 Orings for the oil jet, all including shipping is 73.61 last week.

"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
dan filipi
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/galle ... album_id=1

Post by dan filipi »

I say definitely head gasket too (or should that be also :))

Dont run it anymore til that's fixed,

'83 Interstate and an
'83 parts bike

http://classicgoldwings.com
My Album

mooseheadm5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mooseheadm5 »

I dunno, WF, I got the entire gasket set for the whole motor for less than double what you paid, no tax no shipping. Sounds like you paid too much.
It's not what people know that gets them into trouble, but what they know that ain't so. -Variously ascribed

-P

[b][color=blue][url=http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/]Learn to use a Multimeter, Click here![/url][/color][/b]
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

mooseheadm5 wrote:I dunno, WF, I got the entire gasket set for the whole motor for less than double what you paid, no tax no shipping. Sounds like you paid too much.
OEM???

mooseheadm5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mooseheadm5 »

No dealer here at all. The only dealer we have is a Yamaha and Suzuki dealer and I won't do business with them.
Vesrah makes fine quality gaskets. Frenchy sells 'em.
It's not what people know that gets them into trouble, but what they know that ain't so. -Variously ascribed

-P

[b][color=blue][url=http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/]Learn to use a Multimeter, Click here![/url][/color][/b]
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Frenchy has the entire set for $145.

Or I could go for his head gasket for $30. Maybe I'll just do one side now and then during the great-white cold time I will get the whole set and do a buncha stuff.

Belts, fan switch, thermostat, hoses, etc. were all renewed last winter.

I know that I will need new exhaust crush-gaskets.

Are there other gaskets/o-rings that I'll need?
mooseheadm5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mooseheadm5 »

O rings for the oiling tube (there are 2 of different sizes) and one O ring for the coolant tube. Other than that, you should be able to redo the head gasket without molesting any other gasket or O ring.

-P

Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

mooseheadm5 wrote:No dealer here at all. The only dealer we have is a Yamaha and Suzuki dealer and I won't do business with them.
Vesrah makes fine quality gaskets. Frenchy sells 'em.
That is why when I can afford the time (they are not fast) I use Service Honda. I have a dealer about a mile down the road but instead of 70 it would have been over a hundred for those gaskets. Frenchy sells good stuff but on head gaskets, Valve stem seals and things that take more than a hour to change I prefer OEM. Just me being anal I guess, nobody has reported any problems that I know of with others but I like to use an extra bit of caution when inside the engine.

Roady

Post by Roady »

OK.

Service Honda it is. I called 800-828-5498 from WhiskerFish's invoice and got tons of good help. It also helped to have the parts fiche from BikeBandit open so I could order by number.

Using MH's list, I ordered one head gasket, coolant tube o-rings and gasket ... but we could not locate the oiling tube o-ring on any of the drawings. Maybe I can source that locally if anyone can point me to the correct size.

Also, since I'm going to have this all apart I ordered an OEM fan switch for $59 and an oil seal for the tach to fuel pump connection (got a tiny leak there).

All tolled it's $113, excellent price. Doing one side now should get me through the season and then I'll do a bunch more when it's snowing.

Thanks for all your great advice, gang! I'll keep you updated.
Last edited by Roady on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

coolant tube O-ring...
parts fiche for OEM# 91302-371-023 says 21.9 x 2.5mm.

I used one a little thicker, probably 21 x 3mm, and pressed a bit harder to fit the jackets inwards to align the two bolts. just crushes the thicker O-tings a bit more. it's all been good for so far. also used plain old rubbing alcohol as an install lubricant. like a charm...
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Roady

Post by Roady »

Thanks, HH.

I should be able to pick that up at NAPA.

Starting the tear-down today!
dan filipi
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/galle ... album_id=1

Post by dan filipi »

There's a metric Oring kit available from Harbor Freight and from better auto parts stores like Napa. The container is red plastic, the top lid opens with Orings on both top and bottom.
The cost is under $20, many of them fit close enough and slightly oversized.
Handy to have around.
'83 Interstate and an
'83 parts bike

http://classicgoldwings.com
My Album

Roady

Post by Roady »

I finished installing the new water pump and right head gasket. Since I'd also been having problems with the fan not working consistently, I put in an OEM switch from ServiceHonda ($59) to replace the Geo fan switch that was in there since last year.

But, while flushing and filling the radiator, the fan was not coming on. I jumpered the fan to the battery and found that it was dead. It tested good last year and I'd paid no attention to it during this teardown. Chalk up another lesson on the tally board. So, off with the radiator again and into the fan motor. It was crusty, rusty and the brushes were stuck. I polished the brass commutator with some 300 wet/dry and freed up the brushes.

Then everything inside the fan motor got cleaned and shined with silicone spray and steel wool. Yep, it spins nice now. I decided to put in a new thermostat (also new a year ago) and reinstalled the radiator (I'm getting pretty good at that now).

With fresh Peak 50/50 coolant, non-silicate and available at Walmart, she ran like a dream and the gauge never went over 1/2 way. The fan came on at a long stop light and keeps everything ('cept my legs) nice and cool.

Then the second problem surfaced. After a 150 mile ride I stopped for gas/break/coffee/cig. When I started her up ... I guess the left head is jealous of the right one ... a big cloud of white smoke poured from the left muffler!

Dayum!

So, Winnie's parked again. Parts are on order from ServiceHonda. Getting at the left head gasket should go easier this time. And now I know all of the parts that I'll need: Head Gasket; Coolant Tube Gasket; 2 Coolant Tube O-Rings; 2 Oiling Tube Orifice O-Rings (missed these last time and had to get "close-enuf" ones at NAPA).

Plus, the lower hose housing o-ring (where it attaches to the water pump housing) that came in the water pump seal kit doesn't appear to be the right size. The diameter is a bit large and the thickness is a bit small. I'll take the housing to NAPA to search for a better fit for that one.
mooseheadm5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Good job. It was Whiskerfish's helpful invoice, though, not mine.

-P