Comstars question

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

1Adam12
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: Comstars question

Post by 1Adam12 »

These are the Star wheels on my '78. the rear wheel will Not fit on the final drive of my '76.
the outter flange of the '76 drive bottoms out on the rivetts holding the '78 star wheels together. I tried it once.
As I am understanding it, these are the only "comstars" that won't fit. So, I included a pic so you can spot 'em easy.

Cheers.
Attachments
1978 GL 1000 /w star wheels
1978 GL 1000 /w star wheels
5-30-10 030.JPG (123.06 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

That does not make any sense as the Final hubs are completely interchangeable?????

I am not doubting your word, I just do not understand how it is possible.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
1Adam12
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by 1Adam12 »

If I remember correctly(I'm pretty sure I do) The wheel goes into the drive hub further.
I'll take some pics and further research the problem when I remove the rear wheel from the '76 again to replace the rear tire.
I dont happen to have a replacement tire yet tho and I don't have the money for one. blah, blah, sob,sob.
since I started it Iguess I'll pull them both apart again this week to clear it up.
phillip0123
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by phillip0123 »

Those look like reversed comstars like maybe off an 80-81.
Phil
79 GL1000
93 GSX1100
09 nomad 1700
joedrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joedrum »

yes those are 1100 wheels for sure ....they souldnt fit the 78or 79 at all in the rear ...the drive flang is completely different size that the 1000 bikes ...i didnt think the drive flanges were interchangeable either ....unles someone modified the flange to work on the 1000 final drive.....then im not sure it would work right then either ...first time ive ever seen a 1100 wheel on a 1000 final drive ever...i guess someone could have mounted the outer part of the 1100 wheel to a 79 1000 inner wheel and rebolted together hmmmm
1979 1000
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

hmmmmmm... Now I think we may be getting to the bottom of it ;) ;) ;)
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
1Adam12
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by 1Adam12 »

This rear wheel is stamped 779 if that means anything.
I used to have an '80 or '81 Honda 500 twin that had these same wheels.
I can say that I am certain the wheels have not been disassembled.
Also there are no signs that the hub is any other than the origanal.
so if the final drive is altered it is altered intenally.
Now I'm very currious.
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

I'm in the home stretch of adapting '77 spoked wheels to my '78. The front was a real head scratcher. I don't want to talk about it.
The rear went right on without any alterations or complications.

Here are three rear Comstars: '78 (wide slots), '79 (narrow slots), and the e-bay ad listed the third as an '81 (reversed really wide slots). The '78 and '79 rears are interchangeable back to '75. I have no idea if the 1100 wheels will fit directly on a 1000 final drive. Much depends on the design of the drive flange and it's female spline. Looking at the photos it appears that the 1100 drive flange has a larger diameter bolt circle for the six drive pins. A custom adaptor is certanly possible.
78 Comstar.jpg
78 Comstar.jpg (32.18 KiB) Viewed 788 times
79 Comstar.jpg
79 Comstar.jpg (27.95 KiB) Viewed 788 times
80-81 Reverse Comstar.jpg
80-81 Reverse Comstar.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 788 times
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
64vair
Brass Member
Brass Member
My Album: RIT Rocks, Cancer Sucks!

Post by 64vair »

I have comstars on my 77. Made some spacers in my shop to space the calipers where they need to be to be centered over rotors, the rear was bolt in no issues at all. So far as the speedo drive goes, you need the one for the comstar, and there is no need to add anything to hold it in place. with my wheel bolted up, it does not move at all. Just clock it as you want it and tighten down the 8 nuts and it stays put. I have had this on my bike for 20,000 miles plus, no issues at all.
Tom
RIT Rocks, Cancer Sucks!
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

Wow...this is an old one brought back to life.

So I put spoke wheels from a 76 onto my 78. The rear bolted right on (after powdercoating the hub and rim, and lacing in new OEM spokes).
The front however was a completely different story. Without the modified speedo driver from Old Fogey, and about $300 worth of NC machining I would have never gotten it done. It would have been WAY easier to just get the sliders and all the other parts (incuding the fender cuz of the keeper loop) from an early wing. Way cheaper too.

And after all that...I polished the front spokes and took off all the cadmium. Eh, who knew?
6 months later they were completely rusted and I had to lace the front wheel again. I like the way the spokes look as opposed to the Comstars but jeez, it was a boatload of work the way I did it.

BTW...we talk about wide tires on these and here's my take. I run a 140 Pirelli on the rear 2 1/2" rim (Comstar or spoke - they're the same width). I believe that a 17x3 rim could be laced with 1/4" left offset and then a 150 would fit without grinding down the swingarm. The stock rim width of 2 1/2" is too narrow for a 150 so the rim change would be mandatory for safeties sake. I found them (17x3) at a place in England for about $200.

As for me...I ain't spending no mo money on wheels.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
64vair
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by 64vair »

gregforesi wrote:Wow...this is an old one brought back to life.

OK, a couple things here. First, yeah, going from comstar to spokes is WAY more difficult than the other way around. Instead of spacers you are machining. Second, I like the looks of spokes, A LOT. they really look great, BUT, if you pick up a nail, or something, you are not plugging that tire! I have been known to do things like ride to Ft Wayne IN to have a cup of coffee with Craig Vetter, or ride to South Bend IN to take a 1 hour drum lesson on a particular technique, so that is why I put on the comstars, God forbid I get a flat, I can plug my tire on the side of the road and fill it with air.
Last thing, I live in Royal Oak and go to Bakers of Milford fairly often when I have the time! Small world! Maybe some day we can meet at Bakers! What are the odds of us running into each other on the web, must be 3 to 1!
Tom
PS I have grown fond of "old things brought back to life!" LOL!
RIT Rocks, Cancer Sucks!
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

64vair wrote:
gregforesi wrote:Wow...this is an old one brought back to life.

OK, a couple things here. First, yeah, going from comstar to spokes is WAY more difficult than the other way around. Instead of spacers you are machining. Second, I like the looks of spokes, A LOT. they really look great, BUT, if you pick up a nail, or something, you are not plugging that tire! I have been known to do things like ride to Ft Wayne IN to have a cup of coffee with Craig Vetter, or ride to South Bend IN to take a 1 hour drum lesson on a particular technique, so that is why I put on the comstars, God forbid I get a flat, I can plug my tire on the side of the road and fill it with air.
Last thing, I live in Royal Oak and go to Bakers of Milford fairly often when I have the time! Small world! Maybe some day we can meet at Bakers! What are the odds of us running into each other on the web, must be 3 to 1!
Tom
PS I have grown fond of "old things brought back to life!" LOL!
If you go to Ft. Wayne you're only another 20 miles from me.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
64vair
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by 64vair »

Will have to see how time goes this summer, Ft Wayne not a bad ride, just need to have a full day cleared!
Tom
RIT Rocks, Cancer Sucks!