Page 3 of 4

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 am
by GIWOODY
i am new to this did not know caps was shouting thanks :oops:

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:29 pm
by Longarmsmills
Hello WF and Roncar, I will be attempting to mount early GW spoked wheels to my 78 GL for the nostalgic look of it. I am not understanding the lateral spacing problem as the calipers themselves are supposed to slide on the two mounts. I found when I cleaned my bike up See "Just another GL1000 in the restoration section" that the pins were gummy and sticky. After cleaning and relubing the pins in the mounting bracket the calipers would them slide sideways to align with the rotors. Since I have to finish the front end refresh on my GL1200, I won't be able to get to the refit of spoked wheels for another week. Waiting for bearings. I would rather use Lester mag wheels, and I do have a rear wheel clean and ready to go, however I refuse to pay $199 for the one posted on ebay that needs the same repair that the rear wheel I recieved which was supposed to be "A direct bolt on, ready to go". The wheel bearings where rusted solid and the mag was crusty with corrosion. I'm not complaining as Lester's in this day and age are hard to come buy, but I want a better bargin for something that requires that much work.

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:38 pm
by rcmatt007
not sure exactly what you are asking... but.....

rear wheels are not an issue any 75-79 rear will swap out (there are decent deals on rear lesters on ebay.... but you always take your chances there)

front wheels are different 75-77 and 78-79. rotors are different, caliper mounting on forks are different, speedo is on different side.

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:39 pm
by STREETWING78
Whisker thats looks like one of the aluminun front comstars on i think the red one..
Supposed to be changed,,,different cut out,,
check all front comstars w a magnet...

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:53 pm
by Longarmsmills
Hello rcmatt007, I'm sorry that I'm confusing the question with too much info :oops: . The question is why would we have to use washers/spacers if the pins that the caliper glides on will relocate the caliper in the proper location on the earlier wheel. Like I said earlier, I won't be able to play with my GL1000 and this issue until my GL1200 is off the jack. Larry.

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:01 pm
by rcmatt007
because the rotors are different and you need to shim the calipers to align them correctly (if you keep the same forks)

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:53 pm
by roncar
Longarmsmills wrote:..... The question is why would we have to use washers/spacers if the pins that the caliper glides on will relocate the caliper in the proper location on the earlier wheel....
It is the non-movable part that is shimmed (caliper, caliper mount, whatever you want to call it.) The part that the 'slide pins' bolt into, wraps around the rotor, and bolts to the fork.

Image

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:48 pm
by Whiskerfish

Re:

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:04 am
by Sandy
rcmatt007 wrote:the rears will direct exchange

to change the fronts you must:

1: change the fork lowers
2: change the brake calipers (can use the actual brake cylinder)
3: change the speedo
4: change the rotors


My current project is a "77".
It needed wheels and I aquired Comstars front and rear.
The front wheel has the speedometer sending unit on the left.
For the front I also was able to find front forks (lowers) and calipers and rotors to fit.
As the speedometer sending unit (front axle) turns clockwise, same as my "76" (which is on the right) I did not think I needed to look for another Speedometer.
Do I need a speedometer (item #3)?
Or does item #3 refer to the sending unit?

Re: Re:

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:11 am
by Sandy
Sandy wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:the rears will direct exchange

to change the fronts you must:

1: change the fork lowers
2: change the brake calipers (can use the actual brake cylinder)
3: change the speedo
4: change the rotors


My current project is a "77".
It needed wheels and I aquired Comstars front and rear.
The front wheel has the speedometer sending unit on the left.
For the front I also was able to find front forks (lowers) and calipers and rotors to fit.
As the speedometer sending unit (front axle) turns clockwise, same as my "76" (which is on the right) I did not think I needed to look for another Speedometer.
Do I need a speedometer (item #3)?
Or does item #3 refer to the sending unit?


Sorry, I think Roncar answered the question on a previous reply.

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:40 am
by CharlieP
For What It's Worth - I've been running my 78 Comstars tubeless for 2 years now with no problems.
Bend,Or. to Deadwood,SD - Bend,Or. to Crater Lake,Or. and 2 years of hard local running around, lots of
mountain pass crossing and such with no adverse effects HOWEVER YMMV :orange

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:28 pm
by rcmatt007
what I should have said was.... change the speedo sending unit. as for the speedo receiver, I do not know.

Charlie, I always add... at your own risk, but yes my rear comstar has been tubless since.... 1979? although there was a period in there it was the front that wa tubless. I only had one stem that I could use.

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:06 am
by Longarmsmills
Hello roncar, Finally I understand the situation. I hate to be such a bother. I looked at the exploded view (wish I knew how to bring it into my posts) but I see that the bracket would have to be relocated as you stated. Der! :oops: Larry

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:30 pm
by chucky
Will the whole front end (tripple trees, forks and all) swap directly from a 76-77 to a 78-79? I'm looking to put early spoked wheels on my 78 as painlessly as possible. Thanks for any info.

Re: Comstars question

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:27 pm
by Whiskerfish
chucky wrote:Will the whole front end (tripple trees, forks and all) swap directly from a 76-77 to a 78-79? I'm looking to put early spoked wheels on my 78 as painlessly as possible. Thanks for any info.


Yes if you include the brake system. The only thing that would be an issue that I can think of is the front brake light wiring. on a 78/79 it is picked up from a micro switch in the front lever and on the earlier 75-77's it was picked up from a pressure switch in the fluid splitter housing.