GL1000 Fuel Pump Squirting Gas From Back

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Winger1957
Tin Member
Tin Member

GL1000 Fuel Pump Squirting Gas From Back

Post by Winger1957 »

Hi fellas. This cannot be a unique question but I searched google and the forum advanced search feature and cannot find this problem discussed anywhere. Pretty simple to describe - my 1978 GL1000 fuel pump is squirting fuel from a small hole on the back of the pump. The hole is there for some reason, but surely not to squirt fuel onto my boot.

Any ideas about this? It looks like it was designed to leak there. Its a factory hole with no attachment for anything as far as I can tell. The hole is about 2mm ID, maybe slightly less. No fitting for a hose, either. Just a nice little hole squirting fuel in pulses as the bike runs.

Otherwise, my beautiful virtually stock 1978 GL1000 runs almost like new.
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: GL1000 Fuel Pump Squirting Gas From Back

Post by dontwantapickle »

the diaphragm inside of your fuel pump is shot.
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

methinks the hole is there so that you'll know when, as dontwantapickle mentioned, yer fuel pump "dia-frag 'em" is shot.
but I have been known to be mistaken in the past.

I really like my $35 Facet/Purolator, 3-4 PSI, VW beetle 'lectric fuel pump. aircraft quality reliable. the two I installed have been running for, geez, 10 years prolly.
I have the box top, with P/N, taped up to a tool cabinet at home. If I 'member when I get there I'll post it for ya.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Winger1957
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Winger1957 »

Thank you, gentlemen. I will replace the diaphragm if that is possible, and consider Mr. HeraldHamsters' aircraft-grade reliable solution of the diaphragm is not. Thank you both very much.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Fuel pump rebuild by peteybug
viewtopic.php?t=12530

Post #68 of that thread where I describe what I did (the pump was still working fine when I stored the bike last fall). The diaphragm linked there is still available (and for the same price as it was 10 years ago too!)
viewtopic.php?p=269684#p269684

Pics of Dr. Frankenstein's recent fuel pump rebuild (using the same diaphragm I used)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75851&hilit=fuel+pump
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

Winger1957 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:09 pm Thank you, gentlemen. I will replace the diaphragm if that is possible, and consider Mr. HeraldHamsters' aircraft-grade reliable solution of the diaphragm is not. Thank you both very much.
PM sent back at ya.

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Winger1957
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Winger1957 »

I ordered a pump from Amazon. Honda box and "Made in Japan" on the pump. Works great and install was smooth. I took the old one apart and could not get the internals out without destroying them. Since my new pump was only $99, it was a good value. My fuel mileage went to 45.88 MPG on yesterdays tank. This bike started out in pieces last October, and after a lot of work (a '78) it runs almost like new. Thanks for your replies.
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

SWEET!
Glad it worked out, Congrats!

H2G2=42

Winger1957
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Winger1957 »

Yes, I am very pleased with how well this thing runs. It started out very rough. Bad. Scary noises. No low-speed throttle. Beyond bad points. But a few days each week for months I made changes and minor tweeks and now the sole known adjustment is most likely one more quarter turn out on #4 lean/rich air valve. 45.88 MPG is phenomenal for a 43 year old GL. It started out in week four at about 25 mpg, smoke when I cranked it and sooty pipes. Now, no smoke ever, idles at 5-600 rpm reliably (when cold. Holds 1000 RPM in about 10 seconds cold) And I haven't actually set the timing other than by ear. I cannot figure out how to make the timing light work (borrowed Craftsman from 2008). I don' think I want to mess with it. So Monday I am going on a 600 mile ride. Say, while I have your eyeballs, don't I need to squirt some moly lube into that rear hub? Did I read somewhere 7 oz.?
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Some people believe that you need to use a high molybdenum lubricant on the splines where the wheel meets the final drive and at the ends of the driveshaft but the Factory Shop Manual specifies "NLGI No.2 lithium grease with molybdenum additive" which is standard automotive "moly-lith" grease. I recommend getting a cartridge of it for your grease gun and using it everywhere grease is needed on the bike except the few places like brake parts where silicone grease required.

BTW: When you have the rear wheel off for any reason it is absolutely critical is to follow this procedure when putting it back together:
- Clean out any old grease from the splines and replace it with fresh, clean moly-lith grease
- Loosen the final drive nuts and re-tighten everything in this order:
1) axle nut (this will pull the wheel and final drive splines into alignment)
2) pinch bolt in left side of swingarm (if you do this before the axle nut you will pull the ends of the swingarm together when you tighten the axle nut)
3) final drive nuts

Unless you have replaced them recently and know they are good I recommend replacing the o-rings that keep the grease in the splines. There is one on the hub (inside the spline flange) and some models have one the oneat the base of the final drive's splines. I found out the hard way on my winter machine that if one of them breaks it will let dirt into the grease that will quickly wear the splines away.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....