Turn Signals Flashing Fast

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Turn Signals Flashing Fast

Post by Solina Dave »

This has likely been discussed a few times. My turn signal bulbs are incandescent. All the bulbs are working, but in the past little while they've been flashing very fast. Right turns, left turns, it doesn't matter.
Do turn signal flashers die this way? Or does a flasher just quit altogether. Am I looking for something else? I'd pickup another flasher, but I don't want to do that unnecessarily.

Thanks........Dave :)
"ASSUME NOTHING"

1st motorcycle-1977 Honda CB550F Super Sport
2nd motorcycle-1978 GL1000

"Not riding a motorcycle is wrong"
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: Turn Signals Flashing Fast

Post by robin1731 »

Try another flasher. That was my first thought and you had a similar idea. Get an electronic one. Even if using incandescent bulbs they work better.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

+1 on the electronic flasher.
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

robin1731 wrote:Try another flasher. That was my first thought and you had a similar idea. Get an electronic one. Even if using incandescent bulbs they work better.

Yeah, I think you're right. That was my initial thought. Better than digging for a potential bad ground. I saw that recommended somewhere. It seems that I might have had this kind of scenario, with the rapid flashing, many years ago. But I'm not sure. Memory? :lol: It may have been a burnt out bulb in my car. They do that.
I was just wondering if anyone had experienced the rapid flashing, to be directly related to a faulty flasher unit.
Electronic. Good idea. Thanks.....................Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

low-side wrote:+1 on the electronic flasher.
I've been searching on-line and there's millions of them. Will a flasher that only states that it's an LED flasher, work with incandecent bulbs? Are all LED flashers electronic flashers? And some are 2 pin and some are 3 pin. My original flasher is 2 pin. I'm thinking that the 3rd pin is for a ground connection. Is that necessary with an electronic flasher. Which one worked for you.

So many questions... lolol ...Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Go to your nearest/favorite auto parts store. If you frequent them a lot they may let you try some flashers. I've had some work on some bikes that didn't work on others. Just get one that is electronic. Doesn't have to say LED. They will have them in stock. Many times they are sort of translucent and you can see the inner works through the casing.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

There are 2 kinds of flashers, electronic (which use one of several types of electronic circuit to trigger a relay) and bi-metal. Do you remember the bi-metal strip from primary school science? They would hold it over a heat source and it would bend as one metal expanded more than the other. In the bi-metal flasher the current to the bulbs passes through the bi-metal strip, heating it up and when it bends the end moves away from a contact, interrupting the current so that the strip cools, straightens, touches the contact again and the cycle repeats.

A bi-metal type will flash slower when a bulb fails because there is less current so it takes longer for it to heat up.

All 3 pin flashers are electronic and yes, the 3rd pin is for ground (there should be an unused green wire near your flasher for that). But not all electronic flashers require the ground connection. Most electronic flashers are designed to speed up to let you know if a bulb has failed. Occasionally the flasher will become defective and flash faster with all bulbs working but sometimes a poor ground will reduce the current and produce the same effect. The easy way to determine if you have a ground problem is to measure the voltage between the side of the bulb and the battery's negative terminal when the bulb is on; If there is more than a volt you probably need to address the ground problem because it will affect how bright the lights are.

Some LED flashers can be used with incandescents too. Look for a current rating of at least 4A for two 1156 or 1157 type bulbs (or one of each like your bike has).
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

robin1731 wrote:Go to your nearest/favorite auto parts store. If you frequent them a lot they may let you try some flashers. I've had some work on some bikes that didn't work on others. Just get one that is electronic. Doesn't have to say LED. They will have them in stock. Many times they are sort of translucent and you can see the inner works through the casing.

100% on that Robin. I went to Napa, bought a new electronic flasher for $15, and presto, all is well.
But wouldn't you know it? Just before doing that I drove over to my storage shed to confirm that things were still flashing fast, and to remove the flasher to take with me. I was checking its operation so that when I installed the new one I'd hopefully notice a significant improvement. Well like I said, "wouldn't you know it", it was flashing normally. For probably 2 weeks it's been flashing much too fast, and now, of all times, it's normal.
Well, I bought and installed the new one anyway, and all systems are go.

Of course I had to test ride the bike for 120 kms. or so :crosso just to confirm the flasher was operating properly. If you know what I mean. I'll keep the old one for a possible emergency.

Thanks again.......................Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Might be the last chance to really enjoy a test ride on 2 wheels for a while...
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Still a benefit. With the electronic flasher they won't slow down when you are idling at a light.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

robin1731 wrote:Still a benefit. With the electronic flasher they won't slow down when you are idling at a light.

You said it. I did notice that on my ride, when I was road testing the new flasher. I like that! dancr
"ASSUME NOTHING"

77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Well this is sort of on subject.
"Ever since early man invented the trailer he has perpetually been figuring out how to run the tail lights"
Pat McManus
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yeah, but now we have that pretty much figured out
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8059545e
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8683047e
BTW: Trailer light kits are great for sidecar outfits because you can have matching lights on bike & sidecar and the one on the bike lights the license plate. I have the low profile ones on Mr.H and the square ones on Eccles.
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

A rapidly flashing turn signal would have me looking for a wire chafing against the frame (ground). I would find the cause of the extra load on the flasher before "curing" the problem with putting in an electronic flasher. The flasher uses current to heat the bi metal strip in the flasher. More current heats the bi metal strip quicker which opens the circuit faster. A burned out turn signal bulb on one side of the bike will cause that side to flash slowly or not at all.

-P.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Well, if it was a hot wire chafing against the frame, grounding it out, that should blow a fuse.

If you've ever blown a turn signal bulb in a car you know that they will flash faster. At least on older cars.

Flashers do wear out over time. Causing the issue that Dave was having. So the easiest/quickest/cheapest way to begin diagnosis is to replace the flasher with a new one. You can always go with an old style flasher. Using an electronic one gives you the added benefit of the signals not slowing down when sitting at a light from low voltage. If the issue "isn't" with the flasher you would still have the same problem. Then you could go further with diagnosing from there.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike