GL1000 Coolant Reserve Tank Question

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Willwll313wll
Brass Member
Brass Member

GL1000 Coolant Reserve Tank Question

Post by Willwll313wll »

Good evening everyone!

I'm unsure if I have posted here before but I bought an 78 GW last year that wasn't running. I've ridden it for the first time just a couple weeks ago. So as it goes, this is my first bike and I have been working and learning as much as I can to get it back on the road.

I am looking to flush the coolant system and noticed that the reserve tank has two hoses. One goes to the radiator of course and the other leads towards the back of the back but not connecting to anything. Obviously this isn't correct but I can't seem to locate exactly where it connects to. I've searched online and service manuals.

Can anyone help with this? It would be greatly appreciated!
Willwll313wll
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: GL1000 Coolant Reserve Tank Question

Post by Willwll313wll »

Pictures are always nice! And I'll upload some pics of the bike in the coming weeks. I'm trying to get it on the road so I can at least ride for Sturgis. Anyone attending this year?
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

The tube that isn't connected to anything is correct. It is the overflow tube if the bike overheats. It should discharge behind the engine on the right side. The tube running from the radiator to the expansion tank should be connected to the cap nipple that goes to the short tube inside the expansion tank. The expansion tank should be filled to the lower fill level line when the engine is cold. If your system is working properly the level of coolant inside the expansion tank should rise to about the upper line on the tank when the bike is fully warm. If your expansion tank is over full or the bike is overheating the excess should discharge out the unconnected hose and onto the ground.

-P.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yep what he said!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Wise to ensure it is positioned such that it doesn’t spray on or under the rear tire.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Wise also to ensure that the end of the overflow hose does not become plugged with debris or melted closed by the exhaust. Pressure can build inside the overflow tank and coolant finds the path of least resistance.

Makes a mess.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Willwll313wll
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Willwll313wll »

Thank you much guys!

And thanks for giving me the idea of a naked gw! Looking foward to sharing with you guys.
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

Just a note on Ethylene Glycol. It is VERY toxic to animals. A teaspoon amount will kill a dog by destroying its kidneys so be very careful when working with it and disposing of it. I know everybody knows this but it doesn't hurt to mention it. It's a very unpleasant way to die.

-P.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

funny thing how that extra "-oh" attached takes it from just being alcohol. It will cause renal failure in all animals, and it is sweet so "drinkable". The fix is actually give IV ethanol.... go figure
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yep know someone that had that treatment. like 4 days of IV alcohol to clean it out.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

and often dialysis
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Hmm. IV alcohol. What a concept...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
digschopper
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by digschopper »

One of my neighbors did that deliberately to my collie. He died a horrible death on my couch while I sought help.
Willwll313wll
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Willwll313wll »

This just turned dark...
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

well, how bout dem cubbies......
-Rodger-