Side stand

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Side stand

Post by BiKenG »

My recently acquired 1100 seems to lean more on the side stand than I would expect. Looking at the mounting, the stand pivot bracket is welded to the removable section of the lower left frame loop and if that section of the frame had twisted, making the stand more horizontal, that would allow the bike to lean further over.

I've only just glanced at this and not yet in detail, but is there a known issue with the frame twisting slightly, causing the bike to lean over further when on the side stand?
Ken
--
You can't have too many bikes
CYBORG

Re: Side stand

Post by CYBORG »

Usually caused by a rust issue in the removable frame section, in the area where the side stand attaches. Repair is re enforcing re movable section, via welding, or replacing the removable section with a good one
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

Yes, I considered rust could be a problem, but there doesn't seem to be any on this frame. None of any significance anyway. As I said, I've not studied it in detail, but wondered if they had a tendency to simply twist, even without the assistance of rust. I guess what you're saying is no.
Ken
--
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

The stand itself can also bend where it bolts to the frame. The tabs the bolt goes through can spread apart, causing excessive play. The back tab is threaded for the bolt. I have tightened up the stand somewhat by carefully bending the tab back in a vise. It is cast iron, so it doesn't bend easily, and is brittle...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

Could have taken a pretty hard hit by taking off and leaving the stand down. Easy to imagine how something could be bent.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Also, if the hole in the lug that the bolt goes through is badly worn the stand can let the bike lean over too far. I've read of people either welding in the hole and re-drilling or reaming the hole and adding a bushing to fix that.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

I'll have to take a closer look, but at first glance it just appears as if the stand pivot bracket was welded in the wrong place on the frame tube (which is obviously not the case). It's not terrible, but the bike does lean slightly more than I would expect.

I need to take a good look.
Ken
--
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

If possible I would avoid the side stand for now. I took a removable section off of a '79 that looked good installed. The paint was glossy and white metal could be seen inside the tube at the top, but the floor of the tubes were gone. That thing was scrap and it hadn't started twisting yet. If it is rust or a bad lug I would replace that section since they're still plentiful and relatively inexpensive.
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

Funny you should say they are 'cheap' and plentiful. I've been looking at bare frames and most of them were being sold without that removable section. I figured something must be happening to them to cause them to be in short supply. Maybe they're readily available because they're being removed from frames and sold separately.
Ken
--
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Out of curiosity, can you post a pic of the bike on the side stand from the front or read on level ground so we can tell you if it is leaning too far or if it is normal?
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Toss this in the mix because I don’t think anyone mentioned whether it has taller than stock shocks. That could also change the lean angle.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Very true. Even wider/higher than stock tires can make a bike lean more than the designers intended. Besides, we all want to see your new bike.
:worthless:
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I have two 1100 bikes I bought for parts. If you want me to send you a removable section I can take a look and see what condition they are.
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

My 77 leaned too far over as well due to an 18" Lester rim. If there is no rust or physical damage to the frame, replace the side stand with one from a 1981-1982 Honda CB750F or CB900F side stand. Will fix your problem beautifully! This stand bolts right in and provides a lesser angle so your bike leans correctly. eBay has them for about $25.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

BlueThunder wrote:... replace the side stand with one from a 1981-1982 Honda CB750F or CB900F side stand. Will fix your problem beautifully! This stand bolts right in and provides a lesser angle so your bike leans correctly. eBay has them for about $25.
Good tip, thanks.
Ken
--