Headlight Blown??

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

codyjames707
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Headlight Blown??

Post by codyjames707 »

Hey guys!

So I put in a new wiring harness since the old one had plastic cracking on it and some of the wiring was clearly shot with the headlight and brake light not working. Put the new wiring harness in, put a battery charger straight onto the ground and power connectors (battery was out to get the wiring harness in) and Viola! The headlight worked, and so did the brake light! I was so excited i tried starting the bike with just the connectors on. Starter was going, but the engine wasn't cranking over. Decided to call it a night and try the next day.

Next morning tried it, same results and then I looked to notice that the top and bottom fuses have blown (10A Head; 15A Horn Stop Turn). Realizing that the engine needs at least 10.5V to turn over, I threw the battery in and the bike starts right back up! BUUUUUUUT now the headlight doesn't work. I replaced the top Fuse and it seems to be doing just fine. BUT when I try and put the bottom (Horn Stop Turn) fuse in, it instantly blows AND their is NO power going to the headlight connectors.

Could I have possibly killed the Reserve lighting unit??

Does anyone know what I could have done?? I've checked over the wires and none seem to have exposed or cross connected with another... I need HELP!!! =)

1977 Gl1000 DARKGREEN-WING
BOTM April, 2018
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59710
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Headlight Blown??

Post by SnoBrdr »

codyjames707 wrote:Hey guys!

So I put in a new wiring harness since the old one had plastic cracking on it and some of the wiring was clearly shot with the headlight and brake light not working. Put the new wiring harness in, put a battery charger straight onto the ground and power connectors (battery was out to get the wiring harness in) and Viola! The headlight worked, and so did the brake light! I was so excited i tried starting the bike with just the connectors on. Starter was going, but the engine wasn't cranking over. Decided to call it a night and try the next day.

Next morning tried it, same results and then I looked to notice that the top and bottom fuses have blown (10A Head; 15A Horn Stop Turn). Realizing that the engine needs at least 10.5V to turn over, I threw the battery in and the bike starts right back up! BUUUUUUUT now the headlight doesn't work. I replaced the top Fuse and it seems to be doing just fine. BUT when I try and put the bottom (Horn Stop Turn) fuse in, it instantly blows AND their is NO power going to the headlight connectors.

Does anyone know what I could have done?? I've checked over the wires and none seem to have exposed or cross connected with another... I need HELP!!! =)

Most get rid of the reserve lighting unit.

Honda did it for us starting in 78.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

SnoBrdr wrote:
codyjames707 wrote:Hey guys!

Most get rid of the reserve lighting unit.

Honda did it for us starting in 78.
Read this information about getting rid of the Reserve Lighting Unit. tumb2
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15432
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Very well could be you fried it. Also the 7volt reg does not like power surges like that. I have cooked a couple playing around like that.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!