Connector for Beck/Arnley fan switch

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Connector for Beck/Arnley fan switch

Post by tlbranth »

I'm exhausted. Bought a Beck/Arnley 201-1614 fan switch. I'd read somewhere (I thought in the shoptalk section) where to get a matching connector. I saved the URL: http://www.cycleterminal.com/mt-series-090.html
Been looking for hours now & can't find the thread.
I'm pretty sure the writer said it was the 90 series. It just doesn't look quite right to me. Can anyone steer me to the thread where I saw this? Or can anyone suggest where to get the connector online?
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Connector for Beck/Arnley fan switch

Post by Easter »

You can now get OEM style heat sensor switch (undoubtedly made in China) on ebay for less than $20. Used one on the dumpster build and works fine.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

1978GL1000 naked - kinda sadly gone. no bike at the moment.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

No, that's for a different switch (honda) although that would be a path to take. I went with the '94 Geo switch - Beck/Arnley 201-1614. Got so desperate, I was calling Chevrolet dealers who thought I was balmy. You'd think the dealer would have parts for their own cars, or could, at least, order them. I emailed Cycle terminal (URL above) and he's pretty sure his part #Female MT090-2R would work so I ordered 2 of them. Good deal actually. The total for 2 connectors was under 10 bucks including shipping.
After reading Roady's retraction in shoptalk, I realized I'd overlooked the possibility that these newer switches were designed to switch a relay, not a fan. This is probably why Roady's switch went wobbly after a while. I think I read somewhere that they're only good for 1 amp. The fan draws 4! Totally miffed, I doubled up on my usual 2-shots of whiskey and pouted - albeit in a bit of a fog.
When I get the relays, I'll post if they work or not and also cobble together a diagram for running the fan through a relay. Not difficult to figure out but I see some members aren't comfy with wiring gigs. I already have 11 relays in my revamped wiring setup and danged if I know where I'm going to put another, but I'll be searching.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

tlbranth wrote:I'm exhausted. Bought a Beck/Arnley 201-1614 fan switch. I'd read somewhere (I thought in the shoptalk section) where to get a matching connector. I saved the URL: http://www.cycleterminal.com/mt-series-090.html
Been looking for hours now & can't find the thread.
I'm pretty sure the writer said it was the 90 series. It just doesn't look quite right to me. Can anyone steer me to the thread where I saw this? Or can anyone suggest where to get the connector online?
I just made up my own mini harness from the old plug.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k