She's dead...sorta.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

She's dead...sorta.

Post by MegaDan »

So, today while taking a simple ride down to the local ATM I came to a stop at a light and started hearing a very loud slapping/ticking like sound that seemed to be coming from the back of the engine. Clutch in, or out, made no difference. I pulled into a parking lot and shut it off, saw nothing unusual. Decided this wasn't a good thing, so I headed straight home. The occasional slap at lights started to be something I was feeling and hearing even while in motion, I also noticed my shifts were starting to get very stiff, and about 1 block from my neighborhood, the oil light came to life. So I shut it off as soon as it was safe (went about another block, and killed the ignition, and in the brief time before I had the clutch in all the way she was making a terrible gear noise.

I got to push my quarter ton of fun the last 6 blocks uphill to my house...all while being... upset.

I just did an oil change on it literally 100 miles ago, still has oil in it. Last oil change showed no signs of metal. filter was clean, just as the last few oil changes have all been.

I let it cool off, and then cranked it on the starter just to see if there was any other noise to be heard, but smooth and quiet.

I do plan on pulling the motor and the front and rear case covers to do a little inspecting, but I have a sneaking feeling given the noises I was hearing, and where I believe I was hearing them from, that the chain and/or oil pump sprocket (or clutch basket sprocket) either destroyed the chain or something sheared.

The bike has always had a bit of racket from the chains, but up til this point never showed any signs of any problems in a few thousand miles.

Don't mind me, just some dejected rambling. :(
1975 GL1000 - Delkevic exhaust with stainless studs, Corbin Touring seat, Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, Progressive 11-1100 springs, Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Shinko 230 tires, Fork Brace, Trucklite 27270c headlight, X-Arc Signals (run, brake, turn), Hydraulic Clutch conversion, EBC Clutch discs, HD springs, and Barnett Steels + Plate B eliminated. BikeMaster DLFP-50N18L Lithium battery, Rick's Motorsports CBR600F4 Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier upgrade.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: She's dead...sorta.

Post by Track T 2411 »

That sucks... my 1100 can be quite noisy, too. I hope it's not contagious!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Hope it's not to serious, like Track, my 1100 isn't as quiet as I'd like, or remember back in the day!

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I'd be a little concerned about noise accompanied by an oil light.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

I agree with desert. Noise and no oil pressure is serious. Could be as simple as the scavenge pump screen dirty.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Hey Dan, have you had a chance to look into this yet? You mentioned pulling the motor and it may well be that you won't really know what's up until you've done that.

Just curious and feeling your pain...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

No, I have been too bogged down to check into it.

The only things I know for sure was, I started having serious slapping/knocking noises from the back of the engine, then lost oil pressure. Transmission shifts through all gears, and there is no motor knocking, so rods and pistons are likely fine. I managed to find a good used complete oil pump set, front and rear, with sprocket, chain (condition unknown, but claimed good) for 30 bucks. It was pulled from a motor with only 18k miles, so I imagine it can't all be that bad. Once I have the time I will definitely pull the motor.
1975 GL1000 - Delkevic exhaust with stainless studs, Corbin Touring seat, Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, Progressive 11-1100 springs, Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Shinko 230 tires, Fork Brace, Trucklite 27270c headlight, X-Arc Signals (run, brake, turn), Hydraulic Clutch conversion, EBC Clutch discs, HD springs, and Barnett Steels + Plate B eliminated. BikeMaster DLFP-50N18L Lithium battery, Rick's Motorsports CBR600F4 Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier upgrade.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

That bites. Hopefully it will be a simple fix! Good luck!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

Track T 2411 wrote:That bites. Hopefully it will be a simple fix! Good luck!
Thank you. I do too. I am hoping I pull the covers off and the problem is just right there in plain sight lol.

I am probably going to take advantage of the motor being out and do a few other things. Upgrade the stator, put in a new water pump, replace the T-stat and water pipe O-rings, inspect the shifter mechanisms, and do the timing belts with the tensioner upgrade. Hopefully I don't need to split the case, but if I do, I may hone the cylinders and put new rings in and clean up the insides. Once it is all back together I will paint the engine and polish/powder coat a few things.... it needs a little love.