Spokes vs. mags

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Scott Ironhorse
Brass Member
Brass Member

Spokes vs. mags

Post by Scott Ironhorse »

I have a '78' GL1000. I don't like mags. I found a pair of '79' spoked wheels. Can they be be put on my '78'? How? The mags have 5 bolt attachment for the break disk, the '79' has 6 bolt attachment. Can a trailer hitch set up be gotton for my '78'? :?:

Scott Ironhorse
Scott Ironhorse
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Scott,go to Goldwing Discussions and look up "Rim Switch" that will pretty much explain what works. I'm pretty sure the spoked wheel with the six-bolt disc mount is NOT a '79,very likely a 75-77.
Ron
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
RebelRouser
Webmaster (Retired)
Webmaster (Retired)
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rebelrouser/

Post by RebelRouser »

Moved To GoldWing Disscusion
If You Didn't Build It, Customize It, And/Or Modify It, Then It Truly Isn't Yours. Rebel Rouser
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

hmratbam wrote:Scott,go to Goldwing Discussions and look up "Rim Switch" that will pretty much explain what works. I'm pretty sure the spoked wheel with the six-bolt disc mount is NOT a '79,very likely a 75-77.
Ron
78-79 had mags.... 75-77 spokes.... they could have been changed out by a PO.... which would also mean trading out the bottom (or whole) fork, brake caliper, speedo and rotor
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

no GL1000 came from the factory with "mag" wheels. From '79 0n they had Comstars - possibly the best wheel design ever. Comstars combine the low maintenance of cast wheels with the flexibility of wire spoked wheels.

Cast wheels weren't introduced until the GL1100.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Doby Pilgrim
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Doby Pilgrim »

One good reason to keep the mags on your GL: Safety. Last Spring I had a tube on my front tire blow out on my Vulcan at 90 MPH on I-25. It is frankly a miracle that I was able to keep from crashing. I have seriously thought about getting a set of aluminum wheels for that Vulcan,and have never had the confidence in it that I had before that happened. The tube was not inflated twice by the tech who installed the new tires, and I ended up with first a kink, and then a quarter sized hole in it. If that blowout had happened on a tight curve in the mountains, I would have dumped the bike. As is, I used three lanes of the freeway and a very wide shoulder to get it stopped.

I love the way wire wheels look, and I like the relatively low unsprung weight. I have two bikes with them. That said, there is a reason that all high performance bikes come with mags nowadays,and it is because you can run more safely without tubes. Also, if you have a flat in a parking lot, you can generally just stick in a plug or some Fix-a-Flat and get to a bike shop to have it repaired properly.
Doby
[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii194/dobypilgrim/Copyofpic7.jpg[/img]
1983 Naked GL1100
1995 Customized VS1400
2000 Vulcan Classic
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Given the choice between cast alloy, comstar or wire spoked and considering what it takes to keep all of them looking good, I would choose comstars every time.

I was never able to keep wire spokes looking good on bikes that were only used in the summer.
The cast wheels on my GoldWing need to be cleaned up & polished every couple of years.
The comstars on my sidecar machine go untouched from the time they first salt the roads until after the first heavy rain of spring, then get hosed off. They look just fine, thanks.

BTW: The only wheels that should be called "mags" are real magnesium alloy wheels. I have never seen them on a bike.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Ebola
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Ebola »

Sidecar Bob wrote: BTW: The only wheels that should be called "mags" are real magnesium alloy wheels. I have never seen them on a bike.
I had mags on my BMX bike in '88 and they were plastic. :-D
Mostly parts now.
GL1000 and GL1100
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Ebola wrote:I had mags on my BMX bike in '88 and they were plastic.
Unless they were made of magnesium alloy they weren't "mags".
mrflamewerks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mrflamewerks »

Magnesium alloy wheels, or mag wheels, are sometimes used on racing cars, in place of heavier steel or aluminum wheels, for better performance. The wheels are produced by one-step hot forging from magnesium alloys ZK60 and MA-14 (Russian variation of ZK60). Cast magnesium disks are used in motorcycle wheels.

The mass of typical magnesium automotive wheel is about 8–12 kg (depending on model).

Magnesium wheels are flammable and have been banned in some forms of motor sport in the UK following fires which are very difficult to extinguish. Mag wheels have been known to catch fire in competition use after a punctured tire has allowed prolonged scraping of the wheel on the road surface. Some variants of Magnesium alloy wheels may have low corrosion resistance.

They have the disadvantages of being rather expensive and not practical for most street vehicles. Aluminum wheels are often mistakenly called "mag wheels".
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limits.
> Unknown
He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.
>B. Franklin
78 GL1000 Pending Resurrection
78 GL1000 Naked (gone to pieces)
83 GL1100 Interstate
99 GL1500CF Valkyrie Interstate (Gone to the Darkside)
99 GL1500C Valkyrie Standard (Gone to the Darkside)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

mrflamewerks wrote:Magnesium wheels are flammable and have been banned in some forms of motor sport in the UK following fires which are very difficult to extinguish.
Now that you mention it, I remember a high school science teacher lighting some magnesium shavings with a match and explaining that burning mag wheels was the reason some fires from race car crashes were so spectacular and hard to put out.
Joker
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Joker »

VW engine cases are made of magnesium and the fuel lines aren't peened or clamped from the factory. There is a rich history of roasty German carcasses on the roadside as a result. The darned thing'll smolder and reignite themselves, too!
1976 GL1000
[img]http://s351.photobucket.com/albums/q473/YoungFamilyPics/Louisiana/E3bikepics/th_img428.jpg[/img][img]http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/bayoubikebruiser/th_img215.jpg[/img]

"Tattoos are cool." [img]http://www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com/forums/images/smilies/4223726244319a5ae79351.gif[/img] "Yeah, I wish I was born with one.
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/bayoubikebruiser/76Goldwing/
Ebola
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Ebola »

Okay, since nobody has wheels on their bike made out of Magnesium can we progress to the more common use of the word "mag" to mean what we all think it means unless Bob has an actual term that we can use in it's place?
Mostly parts now.
GL1000 and GL1100
mrflamewerks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mrflamewerks »

Ebola wrote:Okay, since nobody has wheels on their bike made out of Magnesium can we progress to the more common use of the word "mag" to mean what we all think it means unless Bob has an actual term that we can use in it's place?
Alloy wheel.
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limits.
> Unknown
He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.
>B. Franklin
78 GL1000 Pending Resurrection
78 GL1000 Naked (gone to pieces)
83 GL1100 Interstate
99 GL1500CF Valkyrie Interstate (Gone to the Darkside)
99 GL1500C Valkyrie Standard (Gone to the Darkside)
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

I think it's kinda like "Thermos" All vacuum bottles are not made by Thermos, but they are still "Thermos Bottles" Likewise,at least to Ebola and me all aftermarket alloy wheels are "Mags".
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"