Sportster exhaust?

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Re: Sportster exhaust?

Post by Sagebrush »

Check to make sure the Harley mufflers don't have a catalytic convertor. Some member here have had problems with the cat plugging up after a couple of years. Mufflers from older models don't have the cat but I can't say which years.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

My 79 sounds awesome with sporty mufflers. I have a set of newer big bike mufflers in case the 78 needs muffs. I'm hoping they are true duals.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Moto nut
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Moto nut »

They are a simple, cheap, quality exhaust that can be sound tuned, check out the Gordon mods for exhaust on xr400s, completely reverseable if you don't like, I've done it on a few sporty exhausts for people! personally I holesawed the baffles out on my bike, not too loud and matchs the theme of the bike
Proud winner of ngwclub 2017 bike of the year......76 GL1000
esturdivant
Tin Member
Tin Member
My Album: http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n57 ... a75b0740.j

Post by esturdivant »

I have sportster cans on my GL1100. Sounds good, not loud at all. They were chrome (of course) and I didn't want the chrome look on my NGW...so I hit it with some 36 grit paper and then some 80 grit. Not in a circular motion, but basically wrapping paper around the cans and spinning them in my hand. 30 mins of sanding they came out looking like the brushed nickel you see on your kitchen sink faucet. It's a nice look imo. this pic is not that great, but you kinda get a feel for it

Oldwingguy
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Oldwingguy »

Druid1369 wrote:Oh and btw your bagger looks amazing, I'm going to go with some apes and leave the tour pack on for the wife, mine also has this big chrome bumper on the back and I've looked under it but it don't seem to have a real fender. Anyone know why?
It looks to me that you have the Drag Specialties chrome bumper/lights bars. I have the same on my 84 Aspencade. The large chrome center section replaces the factory rear fender, they can be found fairly easily but connect to the factory saddle bags. If you remove or change the bags, its time for a custom fender of some type.
Druid1369
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Druid1369 »

Tractor Supply has a really nice fender I have used on other builds. I'm going to go with it. I have wrestled with taking it off or leaving it but I think I'm just going to do away with it. In the end I don't think it will look the way I want it to and plus it's one less thing to powder coat or paint
SBFFSB
Druid