83 aspencade, runs terrible

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

brycath0327
Brass Member
Brass Member

83 aspencade, runs terrible

Post by brycath0327 »

I have an 83 aspencade was running pretty good except going up hills when I give it gas it kind of bog so I did a carburetor sync got it all seems nice seems to run real nice well it's parked when I take it for a ride now I hear a lot of valve rattle and can't go over 62 miles an hour and still bugging going up hills runs really good when it's just sitting there any suggestions I'd really appreciate it thank you
KYpondman
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: 83 aspencade, runs terrible

Post by KYpondman »

Sounds like fuel starvation. Try loosening the gas cap when it happens. Check fuel filter and fuel pump output. If that checks out and problem persists, check float valve filters for sediment.
Claude
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is Weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

RETIRED and LOVING It!!! anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Standard (gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
84 GL1200 standard with Hondaline bags.
84 GL1200 dressed naked with everything to return to naked.(gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

I'm having a similar issue. I'm doing the fuel filter and the gas cap first up, then sync, then...
but my questions is this:
What is it about a plugged gas cap that causes a symptom of fuel starvation?
1978GL1000 naked - kinda sadly gone. no bike at the moment.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

Pony Ruiz wrote:What is it about a plugged gas cap that causes a symptom of fuel starvation?
Take a coke bottle and fill it with water. Turn it upside down. What happens? The water does not flow evenly but empties in "gulps". Now take a nail and poke a hole in the bottom of the bottle. Cover the hole with your finger and fill it with water. Turn the bottle upside down and lift your finger. The water will flow freely and uniformly.

Not to get too heavy into hydrodynamics or physics, the hole allows air pressure to push the water out of the bottle. Whereas, the bottle without the hole has to allow air to enter the bottle from the opening - thus the "gulping".

Now imagine the bottle is your gas tank. Same thing happens. The motor needs a constant and uniform flow of fuel especially at speed or load.
Last edited by BlueThunder on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

Got it!
I should have pushed the easy button... :-D

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

Gas cap not venting, pump not working well, ,clogged filter, floats set too low or clogged main jets, are all possibilities. test in that order easy to harder.

pull the line off the pump's out tube add a tube and put into jar..crank her over see if there is good fuel flow..book says 15 oz. per minuter at 3,00 rpm is right..you can do 30 seconds for 7.5 oz....next add a line to the carb line with an alternate fuel source..so you are bypassing the pump and tank..if she runs like that..issue in the pump or filter or tank or petcock..etc. If not carbs need to cleaned and/or adjusted floats..
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

Good thinkin!

I may have to try that my self :)

hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Mine ran like that after the winter lay-up. I ended up removing the carbs and cleaning all the little holes in the emulsion tubes. Now it runs like it should.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
brycath0327
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by brycath0327 »

Thanks for all your replies I have tried with my gas cap open still nothing replace the fuel filter check the fuel pump all that's good it almost seems like I'm not getting Advance on the timing how do I fix it