|Member Relations &_Graphics
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Mulberry Grove, IL
|We love our by-ikes,
Oh yes we do-oo,
Replace the timing belts,
And you will to-oo.
Yep ... hang around long enough you will soon join the chorus too. It's not just the miles they've gone ... it's also the years. If you don't have proof of the belts' age, just replace 'em. Mine went on a few rides before doing the belts. Yeah, I was young and reckless back in 'ought-7, but I needed to fall in love first. So, I can't slight anyone for the same thing. But, do take it easy and know that you're taking a risk.
Below is a list of threads and helpful web pages for you. Get to know your bike while spending a few weekends doing these procedures. Around here this is know as Quality Time.
- Changing the Oil by Roady, NGW. A simple 1-hour procedure to get you involved with your new bike.
- Recommendations for New Owners of a GL1000 by Randakk (Randall Washington). Much of this applies to all motorcycles.
- Starting a GL1000 after a Long Lay-up by Randakk. Also applies to all makes and models.
- Timing Belts, Removal/Installation by Octane (Lars), NGW. This is certainly THE most important thing you will do for a new2U Wing.
- Front Engine Renewal Project, GL1100 by Roady, NGW. Things that should be addressed when getting into the timing belts. All models.
- Randakk's Carburetor Kit Get the video and/or book when you order the kit and get a discount.
- Carburetor Rebuild by Octane, NGW. For GL1000 but much applies to all 4 Cylinder Wings.
- Carburetor Removal, GL1100 by Roady, NGW. Similar in all years.
- Carburetor Overhaul, GL1100 by Roady, NGW. Tips, tricks & tools for all GL1*00s.
- Brake Rebuild by Octane, NGW. GL1000 specific but all models benefit.
- Valve Clearance Adjustment by Roady, NGW. All models.
- Tips, Tricks & Tools by Octane, NGW. Includes contributions by many other members of this loony bin.
- GoldWing Shop Manuals collected by RebelRouser, NGW. Handy PDF versions, but, do yourself a favor and buy a Honda, Haynes or Clymer for your model.
- Large Wiring Diagrams Collected by Sidecar Bob. Be sure to download the LARGE version.
- Search Tutorial Probably the best tool you can put in your box.
Plus, as an added bonus ... we will escort you through the process. There are a couple of forums here that you'll want to get familiar with. General questions and discussions should be posted in Tech Discussions
. And, create a thread for your project in either Members Restorations and Projects
or UnderGround CustomiZing
to get help and share your progress.
Please post pictures. We like lots of pictures.
__________________________________________________________________________________When Asking Questions, please give as much info as possible:
- What year & model is the bike? (Hint: edit your Profile to include this info.)
- Are there any mods pertinent to the question?
- What work has been done (if any) to resolve the problem?
- How long was the bike parked?
- Is this a daily driver or a restoration/customizing project?
__________________________________________________________________________________Tried 'n' True Repair & PartsBlue
= an NGW Sponsor
UK and EuropeOther Interesting Links
- Bradshaw Bikes -- Sunnbobb's Polishing Service, superior polishing and other valuable services.
- BikeBandit.com -- Low cost aftermarket parts, great parts fiche schematics.
- Cascade Cycle.com -- New and Experience Parts, Accessories and Service (New2U Kit!).
- CyclePsycho Motorcycle Recycling -- Quality used motorcycle parts.
- Cycle-Re-Cycle, Part II -- Worldwide. New parts catalog. Randakk likes their jets.
- GeorgeFix's -- Worldwide. eBay; good parts, great prices.
- Honda Goldwing Parts & Accessories Market Place -- Huge list of searches.
- Jerry's Cycles -- Vintage Goldwing parts page.
- Mike Nixon's Goldwing Carbs -- The Motorcycle Project, GL1000, GL1100, GL1200 and GL1500.
- Odlidle -- eBay only. Good source, used parts are cleaned and graded.
- Old Bike Barn -- Worldwide. A real gem. It'll take hours to go through everything!
- PartsNmore -- Worldwide. Loads of parts. Good prices.
- Pistol Pete -- Quality carburetor rebuilding, GL1000 $425, GL1100 $485 + S&H (+ more for extra grungy).
- Randakk's Cycle Shakk -- Early GoldWing specialist, and great Tech Tips pages.
- Rigentinc Cycle Salvage -- Worldwide. eBay, guaranteed NOS and used parts.
- S.C.I. - Sirius Consolidated Inc. -- Excellent source for aftermarket motorcycle parts. Recommended by Placerville.
- Service Honda -- Up to 30% Off OEM parts, 1-800-828-5498.
- Sierra Cycle Salvage -- RebelRouser's shop. If they don't have it, they can most likely get it.
- South Sound Honda -- Competitive rates on OEM parts and fast, cheap shipping.
- Venco Wings -- Ride with pride and style, 1-866-648-3626.
- Vintage OEM and NOS Cycle Parts -- Worldwide. On eBay.
- Western Honda -- Online parts fiche, competitive pricing.
- WinGovations -- Worldwide. New, reconditioned and used parts for all 4-cylinder Wings.
We hope this helps with your new project. Welcome to the Naked GoldWing forums!Do you have a good link for the beginners? Post it here or send me a PM and I'll add it to the list.Intellectual Property Notice:
Feel free to LINK to this material. However, the content published here is the property of the original authors, and is protected under United States and international copyright laws. The photographs, text and other content may not be copied, reproduced, republished, distributed, stored, or manipulated in any manner without the express written permission of the author.
Last edited by Roady on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 21 times in total.