St Louis shout out 4 carb sync gauges

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

St Louis shout out 4 carb sync gauges

Post by Roady »

Do you have a set of carb sync vacuum gauges or mercury sticks? If so, could I ride over and use them? I'll make your favorite cookies. orange

I just finished the carb overhaul, did Alley Kat's Bench Sync and got the pilot screws setup pretty good. She's running okay but needs that final sync tweak.

But my homemade manometer sucks (yea, yuck it up wiseguy!). I spent some hours making this thing while waiting for my carb kit to come. (pic is rotated 90º)

It was okay during warmup with the choke on. #1 & #2 were significantly higher but not too bad. Then as she warmed up and I pushed in the choke, she just inhaled the MMO from the tubes. Sucked it dry. I spent all afternoon refilling it and choking on MMO smoke.

Maybe my 3/16" I.D. tubing is too small? Maybe 3 feet is not tall enough. IdUNNoDude.

Can ya help a brother out?
purplegoldwing
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by purplegoldwing »

I'm obviously too far away. I know there will be folks who disagree with how I do it, but I use a 4' tall board, not 3' and I use water and I have a restrictor in each line so that it can only suck a very tiny bit of water. All it does is steam clean the combustion chamber a little. With the restrictors it never kills the engine or even cause a misfire. And with the water you get no smoke and it is a lot cleaner. I use a fairly large hose, I think 1/4" so it is easier to get the bubbles out of the water.

Hey, it works for me.
Bill
Naked custom 78 GL1000
1984 GL1200 Aspencade
2003 BMW K1200RS (for sale)
1985 GL1200 project: conversion to semi-standard
Pictures at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hubbell

Follow your heart, not the crowd!
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

Hey Steve,

I have a set here that is a little low on mercury but still works ok. I just have to keep the idle down so the carb stix dosen't get a bubble in the tube. If the bubble happens, then I have to start over. If interested, I will pm my addy and phone # and we could try to get together tomorrow afternoon. I'm supposed to work on the wife's car but could probably take some time out to help and possibly a short ride afterword. I am only about 15 minutes south of downtown and heck, I was near your neighborhood (O'fallon, Shilo) earlier today. Even stopped at Wendy's on 159 for lunch. Let me know.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Roady

Post by Roady »

That's great, Al.

It'll be nice to finally get in sync with you. We've been talking about this for a year now.

PM sent.
dexter
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Another Sync Method

Post by dexter »

I bought one decent Vac guage as large dia as possible (Advance A) Reads to 1"hg but can estimate easy 1/2". Put all four adapters in the intake ports, and cap same wt small rubber cap. Move guage back and forth on each pair to get the same Vac (mine was about 6-7) and then redo. Mine all reading within 1/2 at idle. You have to valve the hose or kink the hose to steady out the pulsations. The single guage eliminates guage error(intrinsic). Seems to easy?

Note: Unproven proceedure, proceed with care! Signed, Second year greenhornon a 76. Runs good but not there yet.
DEXTER....