Dyna S timing problems.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dyna S timing problems.

Post by millerdog »

I hope someone can help me out here. I just installed a Dyna S ignition on my 76 wing, and I cant seem to get the 1/2 module to come on with the marks. I can get 3/4 to time up perfectly, but 1/2 will not move far enough to bring it together. it has excell coils and no ballast resistor. The 3/4 module actually does have some adjustment to it, but this did not help at all. The 1/2 module wil almost run off the right adjusting screw, if not for the other module, and the timing still wil not line up. I have recently replaced the timing belt per the Clymer manual, but I dont think that is it because it was running alright with the points. It really runs good now except in the lower RPMs due to #1 and #2 not being timed properly. This ones really got me stumped! I would be much obliged for any help :-? Millerdog
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

Sorry, but I can only come up with this answer:

your belt(s) is(are) not installed properly.

Check if the T-1 :

aligns PERFECTLY with the marks on the two pulleys:

Check this thread

Batman7349
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Batman7349 »

Both coils are independently adjustable, you just have to remove the unit and loosen the allen head from the back side, then move it in the direction you need to get it to time. Of course this will screw up the timing for the other coil but that one is adjustable from from front side.
"If you don't know, You can't ask why?"
[img]http://www.batten.biz/images/SIG2.JPG[/img][img]http://www.batten.biz/images/SIG.JPG[/img][img]http://www.batten.biz/images/SIG3.JPG[/img][img]http://www.batten.biz/images/SIG4.JPG[/img]
1976 GL1000 New and Batman's 1975 Basket Case
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Well, I got back to the shed today, and checked the timing belts. Everything lines up.T-1 mark, and pulley marks line up perfectly. I still cannot get that Dyna ignition to act right! No matter what I do ,I cant get 1 and 2 cylinder to time up correctly. I ended up having to split the difference kinda like the Randakk way for doing the points. One set a little early, and one set a little late. Now I am having a return to idle problem. I think I am going to try Randakks lazy idle fix tommorow... Im starting to get real frustrated with this whole electronic ignition thing. Maybe go back to points.... Have to think on it. Maybe I got a defective unit... I just dont know. Millerdog out for now.
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
Tbell
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tbell »

Millerdog: I had the exact same problem with my DYNA. Couldn't move the modules close enough together to time correctly. Called DYNA to find out what was wrong and they only said that maybe one module was firing at the wrong time. Wanted me to send it back to them for service. I was going on a trip that week so I improvised. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS THOUGH. I put the right module on the grinder and ground 3/32" off the left side of the right module. This worked and allowed me to move the modules close enough to time correctly. You might call them yourself for help. Again, this is not a recommendation just my solution and to let you know that there are defective new units. If it hadn't worked I would have gone back to points. Tbell
Tom
Connoisseur of fine wings
76 Yellow gl1000 Total rebuild
93 Black gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Black Cherry Rune
Having enemies is not necessarily a bad thing! It means that at some point in your life you have stood up for something.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Tbell wrote:Millerdog: I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS THOUGH. I put the right module on the grinder and ground 3/32" off the left side of the right module. This worked and allowed me to move the modules close enough to time correctly. You might call them yourself for help. Again, this is not a recommendation just my solution and to let you know that there are defective new units. If it hadn't worked I would have gone back to points. Tbell
I have done that and I believe that Frenchy showed me how!!! The mounting screws and especially if you have large washers on them can interfere with the rotation of the plate. Grind down the screw heads or washers just a hair and it will give you much more adjustment. If more is required a small amount of the black material on the Dyna lobes can be removed. This is a risky job.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Hey, thanks for the input fellas! I think I finally have it beat. Just kept messin with it, and it finally came within about 1 degree either way on both modules. I am glad I aint the only one who has had this problem. I thought maybe I was going nuts. I thought about shaving the modules, but didnt know how much material I had to work with. Maybe shave a little off each side? Have gotten no responce from Dynatek VIA E-Mail.I think maybe I will call the 800 number, and see if I cant aggrevate one of them techs. I wonder if they are aware of this? I guess I will find out. In any case, the wing is running like a scalded dog now. I really couldnt be happier, even with the instal problems I had. Thanks again dudes!... Millerdog
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Hey! I just wanted to let ya'll know, Dynatek finally E-Mailed me back, and sent me the instructions that came with the system. I already had all of that, and I sent them a detailed description of my problem. Lesson here? I guess if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself!!!! Thanks everyone :)