1978 gl1000

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Dogz
Lead Member
Lead Member

1978 gl1000

Post by Dogz »

first things first: Thanks to naked goldwings for allowing me to be part of their family. Four years ago my daughter got to big to ride behind me on my 1974 triumph Bonneville.She started at the age of three riding on the gas tank around town. A freind had a gl1000 sitting in his garage and had not moved in years.bought it. Over-all condition was good for a 1978. Loaded up and took home, the rebuild was on . replaced calipers,pads,ignition to dyna, tires , replaced bearings and race in steering Wore out from riding on gravel roads and cleaned carbs. took-off old broken fiberglass bags and replaced stock seat with a coach and padded sissy bar. so daughter would not fall off back. Started riding it around and everything was good for two years. brought bike out for another year of travel . Something was not right, could feel a something different. Lack of power for sure. pulled #4 wire off and no change. Back to drawing board reset valves,timing,pulled carbs and cleaned . Still no action on number four.Checked coils,wire and boot all ok . pulled carb drain off and fuel rolled out. went for ride and 4 would cut in if kept at constant ,feel a surge. So now i'm waiting for carb kit and video.If anyone can think of something i missed please let me know.Will keep posted.TRying to figure out how to attack pics.
CYBORG

Re: 1978 gl1000

Post by CYBORG »

Welcome from Mich. Keep us in the loop, and we love pictures
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
oldwings 78
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by oldwings 78 »

I don't think I read anything about changing timing belts. If that's correct, you should address them asap.
Terry
"A man who is good at making excuses is rarely good at anything else" Benjamin Franklin
"A man who will sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither" Benjamin Franklin
'78s are the best looking GLs Just ask Doc
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

Welcome from California and to the NGW. When you have 4 posts, the site will allow you to link photos from a hosting site and imbed URL's. However, you can upload a photo to the site right now by using the 'Full Editor' button below. You'll need to reduce the size of the photos substantially or the site will reject them.
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Looking forward to your journey ......

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Dogz
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Dogz »

thanks to my new family to the south and east. Terry will pull off cover and have a check on the belts. Never crossed my mind.Did compression test and all were low but within 7 from lowest to high. low-102 and high 109. Bike is a beast .Man it still runs after all i've put it through and still doing to it.Not a mec but not afraid to to do what i have to. pretty well can tear apart all external parts of motor and rebuild it. Never did a motor job.This is mainly because i don't have all the tools. Don't have to worry about knowledge because of sites like this and google. If you don't know google it, its out there.Thats how i found this great site.

Have to work on pictures. My wife says i have potshimers.lol.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Compression test with WOT?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

ericheath wrote:Compression test with WOT?

Yeah, if it runs that good you may want to redo the test. Choke off, throttle wide open.

And on the belts. Looking at them won't tell you anything. Unless you have positive proof they were changed in the last 5 years change them now. These are interference engines. Break a belt and the best you can hope for is a couple of bent valves. Check our crossover parts section for belt numbers from Gates.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hoganJr »

Dogz wrote:first things first: Thanks to naked goldwings for allowing me to be part of their family. Four years ago my daughter got to big to ride behind me on my 1974 triumph Bonneville.She started at the age of three riding on the gas tank around town. A freind had a gl1000 sitting in his garage and had not moved in years.bought it. Over-all condition was good for a 1978. Loaded up and took home, the rebuild was on . replaced calipers,pads,ignition to dyna, tires , replaced bearings and race in steering Wore out from riding on gravel roads and cleaned carbs. took-off old broken fiberglass bags and replaced stock seat with a coach and padded sissy bar. so daughter would not fall off back. Started riding it around and everything was good for two years. brought bike out for another year of travel . Something was not right, could feel a something different. Lack of power for sure. pulled #4 wire off and no change. Back to drawing board reset valves,timing,pulled carbs and cleaned . Still no action on number four.Checked coils,wire and boot all ok . pulled carb drain off and fuel rolled out. went for ride and 4 would cut in if kept at constant ,feel a surge. So now i'm waiting for carb kit and video.If anyone can think of something i missed please let me know.Will keep posted.TRying to figure out how to attack pics.
It could be as simple as a spark plug gone bad; you didn't mention changing them.

HoganJr
1991 GL1500
Dogz
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Dogz »

yes with wide open throttle.
I could be wrong here but i don't think that years is the proper way to look at it. I live in a climate that riding is good for maybe 5-6 months of the year and we ride 4-5 months on a if the weather is good we will go for maybe 4-5 hours on a week-end as that is when my daughter comes home from the respite care You in Indiana will put that on in a month. I think that miles or km would be more appropriate . Please correct me if i am mistaken. But agree it would be in good maintance procedure to do this.But for now I am going to say its good , do the carb rebuild and go from there.
Yes have changed, switched, pulled out checked against block, used a inline spark checker. The one that hooks into boot has a clear body with wiring in it and then goes onto spark plug and a wire checker that i started at coil and moved down to the boot. Did this on all cyl.

Another thing to remember is that we sit at aprox 3000ft above sea level. in 1976 went for a ride to California and did not have to make any changes to carbs and all went well. Done on 1974 triumph750 two carb system.
Thanks for all the input and keep it coming. there will be things that i have done but have slipped my mind and forgot to put down.
Dam potshimers
IMG_0358 (2).jpg
IMG_0358 (2).jpg (77.65 KiB) Viewed 416 times
. This is my daughters 78 and i get the pleasure to be her
chauffeur
Last edited by Dogz on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dogz
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Dogz »

Well took the timing covers off to check the marks and they were bang on. Belts looked to be in new condition all teeth nice and square and a very small amount of black stuck to covers.Can cross that one off the too check list. Will order new belts so can change this winter. Usually takes 4-5 weeks to get here from the states. Customs are a pain.
Tomorrow will check for leaks of all sorts. Have to stay busy well waiting for kit. Maybe hop on the peugeot 103 and terrorize the town.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Did you look at the cross over parts section? The belts from Gates can be bought at nearly any auto parts store. Just go in with the part number. A lot better price than belts from Honda too.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Dogz
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Dogz »

Thanks for the info Robin. Will stop by at a place called Kingsway in Calgary. Cheapest place around for auto parts.[attachment=0]IMG_0358