Tips and Recommendations from Guru Pistol Pete

Moderator: Whiskerfish

pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Caution #4

Post by pistolpete »

To all

We receive carburetor sets on a daily basis and a growing number of them have dents on the vacuum caps. This can damage the caps as well as causing the vacuum piston to become sticky or stuck at the position where the cap has been struck.
I have a simple rule when it comes to this way of attempting to clear a float valve or similar; JUST DON'T DO IT. If it needs a light tunk to get something free, use nothing harder that your elbow.

Pistol and Moose
Pistol
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Caution #4

Post by ericheath »

I wonder if it couldn't also be from when the carbs are being removed. They often get tugged against the upper frame cross tube. I have been removing the caps and slides on the 1-3 side and it sure makes it easier.
pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by pistolpete »

ericheath wrote:I wonder if it couldn't also be from when the carbs are being removed. They often get tugged against the upper frame cross tube. I have been removing the caps and slides on the 1-3 side and it sure makes it easier.
Eric Yes, I have seen this also but usually they are easy fixes.
A cap that is injured by tapping will show several dents in the same location of the cap(s). This occurs on an 1100 almost directly beneath the Kei-Hin or 180 degrees from it. On a 1000 they are about 90 deg from the Kei-Hin.

Pistol and Moose
Pistol
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

Good advice for sure as these carbs look solid but are quite fragile in reality.