carburetor thread repair

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

carburetor thread repair

Post by mikenixon »

As everyone knows, the Gold Wing carburetor is especially susceptible to thread damage, and even more so the earlier models as their aluminum content is rich in zinc, as are most carburetors of the 70s. In fact, a completely stripped (just the throttles left) GL1000 carb body weights exactly twice as much as a similarly prepared GL1100 body, due to the former's having a lot of easy-to-cast zinc in its alloy.

To effect thread repairs in carburetors, I am very partial to the Timesert product. In my mind nothing is better, easier, or more permanant.

So here is step-by-step how to do the deed. Beginning with a carb body whose threads are pulled, as this one's are...

...after taping up everything good to keep chips out, I start with the first tool in the Timesert kit, the specially-sized drill bit. By hand, by the way.

You've got to watch where you're going. Don't want to drill into nearby passages, which is all to easy to do on these carbs, because they are so compact and because the carbs themselves are so soft.

I then follow with the second Timesert kit tool, the counterbore tool. This allows the installed Timesert to sit flush with the carb body.

Here is the end result of using the counterbore tool.

Next is the special Timesert kit tap, which makes a unique thread to fit the Timesert.

Once again, watch where you're going! :)

Finally, the Timesert broach is employed. Put a dab of grease on the broach's threads. This tool locks the Timesert into place.

And the end result, a threaded hole that is better than the original. Debur the edges of the hole, make sure no metal swarf got left behind, and go ahead and flush out all the carb body's passages just to make sure.

Timesert kits are not found at your nearby hardware store. Try http://www.tekmaterial.com, http://www.toolskwik.com, and Amazon.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: carburetor thread repair

Post by robin1731 »

Good deal Mike. I've been preaching this fix for carbs for awhile.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Yeah, beats the heck out of screwing in larger screws and things like that. :)
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Yeah, I've had bikes come in with sheet metal screws holding the bowels on. :IDTS:
ole496
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ole496 »

Excellent tutorial - nice work
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

robin1731 wrote:Yeah, I've had bikes come in with sheet metal screws holding the bowels on. :IDTS:
Ouch! Pains me to see that. Rapidly these carbs are becoming extinct. Their value (used carbs obviously) has tripled in the last five years. In ten to fifteen more years you'll probably have to pay $600-750 for an intact but frozen, sludged, varnished up GL1000 set. I realize folks have to do what they have go do. But.... :)
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

mikenixon wrote:
robin1731 wrote:Yeah, I've had bikes come in with sheet metal screws holding the bowels on. :IDTS:
snip........

Ouch! Pains me to see that.
You and me both. Yeah, the price will go crazy.