Dual carb questions

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

1320bd
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Dual carb questions

Post by 1320bd »

Well, my simple attempt to make my Aspy go naked have turned into all out custom job planned for this winter. I was looking for carbs and was looking for some suggestions. I found some Solex 32-34 pdsit-2/3. The price is right on them and I was already going to make my own manifold anyways, so I can use any carbs. Anyone know any pros and cons of these? I am hoping to build the whole thing for about 200 dollars. But any carb help is appreciated. Thanks again guys
84 GL1200 currently under transformation

Custom 212cc chopper built for my son

"The more I cut mine up, the more yours is worth"
1320bd
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Dual carb questions

Post by 1320bd »

Also was thinking of maybe going with a sidedraft setup. Pros or cons?

MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

Not sure if anybody has done a dual setup with 32/34 carbs before. You may be treading on new ground with that. I would imagine space would be an issue unless you wanted to keep them on the outside of the bike above the heads.

As far as alternatives, I was interested in doing the Vmax carb setup as done by another member on here until I decided to take a stab at an ITB fuel injection setup.

As far as side drafts, it would depend on the carbs used, but, again, I would think space would be the biggest factor to consider. Still doable with enough planning and measuring. That brings me back to the stock carbs, already a side draft setup, why not simply rebuild those?
1975 GL1000 - Delkevic exhaust with stainless studs, Corbin Touring seat, Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, Progressive 11-1100 springs, Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Shinko 230 tires, Fork Brace, Trucklite 27270c headlight, X-Arc Signals (run, brake, turn), Hydraulic Clutch conversion, EBC Clutch discs, HD springs, and Barnett Steels + Plate B eliminated. BikeMaster DLFP-50N18L Lithium battery, Rick's Motorsports CBR600F4 Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier upgrade.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Take a good look at overall dimensions of the carbs you pick and whether they will fit by the tank. You may need to tip them a bit outboard to clear. Next then is how to control them and be able to sync them. I am thinking about trying a set, but the more I look into it and the money end of it, the more I think of going EFI.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
1320bd
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by 1320bd »

The carbs will sit above the heads. Also, I will eliminate the fuel tank and put a regular tank on top. Also planning on cutting the rear of the frame off and doing a "dual monoshock" setup. As I said earlier, it started as just going naked and is turning into Frankenstein. Oh well, I can't leave well enough alone. Also the carbs work fine, just want something different looking.

CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

"dual monoshock"???? Dual, as in two.......and mono as in one???
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
1320bd
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by 1320bd »

Yes. I know it sounds wierd. I saw it on another wing, I think he might be on here. Looked like a monoshock setup with 2 shocks side by side. Thought it looked great and I was showing it to a guy I work with and it was decided that I was doing it. I just really liked the openness of the rear on it.

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I know the one you mean. He used regular shocks, on a 1200.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
1320bd
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by 1320bd »

It was a 1200. I just don't want to mention the bike name, don't want to upset anyone by accident. If anyone knows the bike I'm talking about and knows the builder, I'd love to pick their brain

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

It wa a while back, just like memory-a while back.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
1320bd
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by 1320bd »

So, after doing some more research, I haven't found anyone that has done this kind of carb swap. After checking some VW forums, these carbs still have parts that are available. Even though these carbs were meant for the 1600 and 1700 cc engines it seems that they are adjustable for smaller engines. Kinda wondering if it is too much carb for the 1200. Also, I was thinking that since the 1200 has more power than the 1700 it may not matter. Has anyone use any Solex carbs? The only thing that looks odd to me is the cut off solenoid. Does anyone have any insight on if it would be needed in this application or if I would still need to use it? Thanks again for the help

MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

I wanted to link this earlier but didn't quite get the chance. http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=49494

This setup can be done fairly affordably. Depending on what you start with and the work they may or may not need, this conversion could be done within your budget if you can do the fab work. I've seen sets of the Vmax carbs as cheap as $100 if you are patient. They tend to filter through from time to time if you have the patience.
1975 GL1000 - Delkevic exhaust with stainless studs, Corbin Touring seat, Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, Progressive 11-1100 springs, Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Shinko 230 tires, Fork Brace, Trucklite 27270c headlight, X-Arc Signals (run, brake, turn), Hydraulic Clutch conversion, EBC Clutch discs, HD springs, and Barnett Steels + Plate B eliminated. BikeMaster DLFP-50N18L Lithium battery, Rick's Motorsports CBR600F4 Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier upgrade.
1320bd
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by 1320bd »

Just wondering what to do with the tubes next to the intakes? I was just going to connect the fronts and rears together.

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Do a search here. Several have plugged them, some with freeze plugs, some with aluminum plugs. IMHO, best way is to install early heads using 75-77 cams. (Involves notching pistons a little)
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces