Yowza - Duel Weber 40 IDF would cost me more than my bike

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Siphor
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Yowza - Duel Weber 40 IDF would cost me more than my bike

Post by Siphor »

So was looking into the Weber 40 IDF duel carb setup....that is a heck of an investment. Guess I will think about that down the road. 300 for the kit, then 400ish each for the carbs.
1979 Honda GL1000 - Lake Charles, La - Newbie
http://79gw.blogspot.com/
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Re: Yowza - Duel Weber 40 IDF would cost me more than my bik

Post by gregforesi »

Yep. I budgeted for ~$1200 before I started. It came out around $1350 with gaskets, powdercoat, linkage, jets, and electric fuel pump.
EMPI carbs are less expensive. The newer ones are much better quality than their older ones. You could go with used Webers but if you go with EMPI's you should get new ones. Parts are interchangeable between the two manufacturers.

The Webers do make a statement though and the growl from the carbs is like nothing else. It's mechanical music. I think the intake is louder than the exhaust note.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Siphor
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Siphor »

Where did you buy your carbs?

How hard was it to manufacture the linkage?

Did you do the jetting yourself?
suzukicobra
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by suzukicobra »

My 82 aspencade came with a weber 2bbl conversion. probabaly the single best move you could ever make on your carbeureted goldwings.
Siphor
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Siphor »

gregforesi wrote:Yep. I budgeted for ~$1200 before I started. It came out around $1350 with gaskets, powdercoat, linkage, jets, and electric fuel pump.
EMPI carbs are less expensive. The newer ones are much better quality than their older ones. You could go with used Webers but if you go with EMPI's you should get new ones. Parts are interchangeable between the two manufacturers.

The Webers do make a statement though and the growl from the carbs is like nothing else. It's mechanical music. I think the intake is louder than the exhaust note.

Can you point me in the right direction for which EMPI carb?
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gregforesi »

Randakk doesn't include a lot of hardware in the manifold package but the instructions are very complete and include sources for all the other parts you need. The base jetting he suggests is either right on or really close. I run a bit richer on the top.
There is an aluminum cross brace that other things can mount to (you have to make that but the stock is available at a hardware store or Lowe's). Some of the linkage parts came from an on-line place (it's in the instructions, I don't have it in front of me). Hooking the throttle cable up is left up to the end user but Randakk does have a workable sketch in the instructions. I went my own way with that part.
The carbs were from Redline Weber. They are the made-in-Spain ones.

In this photo you can see the throttle cable attachment I made. The cross-linkage is store-bought but needed a tweak (explained in the instructions). I got rid of the spring you see there. Even a light duty one was too stiff when coupled with the springs on the carbs. This is a "single pull cable only" deal so you discard the push cable from the throttle.
5-5-10_22_resize.JPG
5-5-10_22_resize.JPG (161.46 KiB) Viewed 857 times
There is no "cold start enrichment" circuit on the Weber's (or EMPI's). If you go with used carbs and they have that circuit you should take it out. They were designed as a carb-within-a-carb and just didn't work.
The fuel pump is mounted to the center of the cross brace (as are the newly installed speakers for the stereo dancr ). In the foreground you can see the crankcase vent filter.
The stock hole in the linkage (where the pull cable is attached) was too far from the CL of the carb shaft so I moved it closer and outboard. Now it travels evenly + and - 38° from it's center point and the total rotation of the throttle handle was reduced.

If there is ANY VACUUM LEAK AT ALL they won't run right and you'll chase your tail trying to tune them. It's OK if you ask how I know that.

Here is EMPI on ebay 40 HPMX. About $150 cheaper than a Weber 40 IDF.
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
Siphor
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Siphor »

bladredhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bladredhead »

http://www.thesamba.com has used 40idf s come up from time to time. definitely need to know what you're doing buying used though
Broken 1976 gl1000... and a few others
Siphor
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Siphor »

Did not realize that the kit from Randakk was instructions mostly. Was not trying to avoid buying his kit, was just wanting to make sure I knew what I was getting into. For now I better just rebuild my current carbs and make that later project.
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

I have heard Randakk's with the Weber's on it, and it was louder than the pipes

Just lovely.
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gregforesi »

Oldewing wrote:I have heard Randakk's with the Weber's on it, and it was louder than the pipes

Just lovely.
Technically, it's the reverse pressure wave of the intake-charge rebounding off the closed valve face and spilling out the top. There isn't any romance in a technical explanation.

But about 18" from my ears and just a screen in the way...Oh Yea. That's what I'm talkin' about. Nothing quite compares to that Weber growl.
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

You can find what I did for linkage in my album. I used a lot of stock parts and didn't have to deal with the screw-on cable ends. Stock totally unmolested pull cable. I got my webers on fleabay and didn't pay more than $25 for them,just keep bidding on the really cheap ones. I got a matched pair off a VW buggy for like $35,bolted 'em on the 'wing and didn't touch them.(your results may vary)
I didn't ride the Bopper much after I put the Webers on,but what I did ride it made me think that listening to the carbs for six to eight hours straight on a trip would have been VERY tiring,they are WAY louder than the sporty mufflers! (Please note that I am an OLD guy and prefer quiet bikes!)
The power is nice,very noticeable increase over even a good set of stock carbs. My cash outlay was about $400 including the Randakk manifolds and instructions.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
igotbadbrains
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by igotbadbrains »

I haven't got my bike sitting right yet but since this came up. I am 6'2" and on Randakk's site he mentions interference with the knee on someone "much taller than 6'2". I know it's impossible to be sure, and when I put sport bars and a lower seat on my ridding position will be different, but how tight is it? I can't beleive no one has tried a pair of jenveys on one yet. Mmmmmm....
— a product of the demented imagination of a lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate who has found a way to live out where the real winds blow — to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whisky, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested...
Res ipsa loquitur. Let the good time roll.
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gregforesi »

I'm 5' 11" and if I wasn't back all the way on the seat then my left knee would be right at the velocity stack on #4. An air filter housing certainly protrudes rearward farther than the stacks so - yes, there would be an interference issue. That was another reason I thought the rearsets were a good idea (along with getting my knees out of my chest due to the riding position with the clubman bars).
I'm with HMRatBam on quiet touring bikes. For a several reasons (can't bring rain gear, severe riding position, no real windscreen, and I own an 1800) - White Trash doesn't make long runs.

BUT...
I've put almost 10k miles on it the past two seasons. Since it's been on the road I've listened to peoples comments and seen the expressions on their faces when they look at those Webers hanging off the side and those stacks sticking up. I believe it leaves little doubt that it's a Hot Rod kinda GoldWing. In a world dominated by black V-twins - that little white Wing sticks out like a sore thumb. I think it represents the badge with the gold bird on it really well and that was the heart of the plan.
I'm very proud to be a GoldWing rider. ngwsmilie Yuppie Urban Bikers will just have to learn to deal with it.
Siphor
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Siphor »

You all have swayed me to keeping her stock for the carbs. I plan on taking this bike on long runs. Kind of debating on the cafe handle bars now.